(Topic ID: 40082)

When Will The Bubble Pop?

By Three60in

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bubble_burst.jpg
    bubble-bobble.jpg
    image.jpg
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpeg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

The housing bubble was different -- prices were inflated by easy credit and slap fast loan underwriting/appraisal practices. Pin prices aren't being fueled by easy credit -- most of the purchases are cash on hand. Main factor on prices is expansion of the hobby, namely new collectors. Plus you have to look at JJP showing Stern that this growing market segment would absorb price increases in return for quality (JJP) or premium edition features (Stern).
    That's why I disagree with the whole bubble theory. Prices are more about expansion of buyers, demographics and price elasticity. But wtf do I or anyone else in here really "know"....

makes sense

#52 11 years ago

Sounds like most people are concerned about price for one of two reasons.

1) Wanting to unload games before they drop ensuring maximum profit

2) Waiting to buy games once they drop into your tax bracket.

Either way, it's a hobby and be ready willing and able to lose money on your hobby. Far too many collectors feel it is their right to make a profit on every sale. If you're serious about a game, buy it. Profit should not be part of your reasoning.

I have two NIB machines and have no doubt that once I sell I'll lose money, it is what it is.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from Three60in:

Thats the million dollar question. There are countless theories on here and on the net. I certainly think WOZ didnt help. I also feel like there are WAYYY too many pinball re-sellers that totally restore then ask stupid huge money (just go to ebay). Pair that with the rest of us normal folks who find the occasional deal then trade or ask fair price, and you just raised prices. But what could make it end?

Like that restored Sq Head EM that sold for $4000?

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from kehoe:

Bubble Pop?
    » YouTube video

Is it bad?......that didn't understnpand a word but watched the whole thing? The hummer in the background was awesome......

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

Sounds like most people are concerned about price for one of two reasons.

1) Wanting to unload games before they drop ensuring maximum profit

2) Waiting to buy games once they drop into your tax bracket.

Either way, it's a hobby and be ready willing and able to lose money on your hobby. Far too many collectors feel it is their right to make a profit on every sale. If you're serious about a game, buy it. Profit should not be part of your reasoning.

Agreed. For me, nothing ruins a hobby more than people referring to it as an investment. That's what the stock market and real estate are for. Hobbies come and go and fluctuate greatly. Heck, at one point people were paying thousands for stupid Beanie Babies. Now they're worth as much as a dog toy.

#56 11 years ago

For me the bubble already popped on many of the high price A listers. I'd rather buy NIB, as I think there are some great pins being made now.

#57 11 years ago

people buy pinball machines with cash. No cash, no buy. no credit to default on. no bubble

#58 11 years ago

Bubble pop? Lets play!

#59 11 years ago

The bubble will never pop. It might inflate and deflate a bit over the years, but that bubble won't ever outright pop.

#60 11 years ago

Lets vote for this.........jabronis with less than 2000 karma points can't start bubble popping threads.

#61 11 years ago

If Roel dumped all the a-listers he has access to at once...I think it would be close. How many euro MM's could come back over? If even 20 were to hit the market at once it could cause a dip.

#62 11 years ago

i dont think there is a bubble, pins are fairly cheap as far as a hobbie goes- when will they be dirt cheap, soon as we have a full scale depression and there all unloaded to try to keep the house for another month.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

i dont think there is a bubble, pins are fairly cheap as far as a hobbie goes- when will they be dirt cheap, soon as we have a full scale depression and there all unloaded to try to keep the house for another month.

I bet a lot of bigger collectors have no house payment.

#64 11 years ago

I don't think the 'bubble will pop' unless a lot of collectors stop their hobby. Maybe though the arrival of Heighway Pinball, Skit-B and Spooky Pinball can make the top-prices go down a little if they produce great games for lower prices.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

I don't think the 'bubble will pop' unless a lot of collectors stop their hobby.

Exactly. A ton of collectors would have to simultaneously flood the market with games for sale. What would cause this? Either they all get bored at once (unlikely) or there's some massive financial crisis that affects everyone - and at that point, it's all relative.

The only thing that causes the bubble to "pop", IMO, is time. ~40-50 years all these pin collectors will start to die. Will their kids & grandkids want to keep all these games? Probably not. Lots of collections will be back "on the market" at that point - and the next generation isn't likely to care as much. We'll all be old or almost dead, so - yay...you're in the nursing home but you'll get a bargain MM! LOL Life is short. Enjoy pinball now.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly. A ton of collectors would have to simultaneously flood the market with games for sale.

Well, I didn't mean in the next year or so, or 'a ton of collectors at once', but it could happen in say 5 to 10 years that pinball-collection-popularity decreases again. I don't hope or think so, but who knows.

#67 11 years ago

what people seem to fail to acknowledge, is its not just "collectors" or operators who buy machines. there are normal RICH home owners that do as well and have no clue how to work on games or even play well for that matter etc. they buy for the title alone of something they like.
    harleys, nascar, movies, musicians, whatever.

There isnt a bubble. forget new prices...look at used machines the past 20 years. any machine in the flipper era... em's, SS, alphanumeric, dmd, it doesnt matter.....they never ever drop in price unless one is beat to hell that is purchased.
    they either remain the same or go up.
    dmd have went way up. Partly due to NEW playfields and other parts becoming available to do full blown restores.
    Also, as most everyone knows...When you purchase your first machine, it rarely ends there..
    id say the majority of "collectors" have over 5 machines..
    I just learned recently that someone who lives right down the street has 10 pins in their house..they arent on the newsgroups, they dont go to shows, doesn't associate with pinheads.....just a normal dude who has pins period..
    the prices aren't ever gonna drop unless a major world economic disaster occurs.
    supply and demand is shown at its best .

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

the prices aren't ever gonna drop unless a major world economic disaster occurs.

or an asteroid gets rammed up our ass!

#69 11 years ago

Check out Gexchange's latest distributor LE pressure-fest! Bubble has a needle pressed right into it now!

BUY THEM NOW BEFORE THEY ARE ALL GONE!
    'Whats the title?'
    NOT SURE!
    'Release date?'
    THINK IT'S FALL!
    'Programmers/designers?'
    THINK IT'S RITCHIE AND LYMAN?!
    'Any other info?'
    NOPE! JUST SEND IN PAYMENT TO SECURE EARLY SHIPPING!

Yeah....

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Another thread complaining about prices . Maybe some people should start collecting stamps or something they can afford so we don't have to hear the constant price complaints.

Stamp collecting is actually very expensive, google The Treskilling Yellow....

However, I don't think that was the intention of the post...is it a rehashed post sure and has been beat to death, but maybe it gives new members their chance to chime in.
    The bubble will never "pop"....there is always new blood in any hobby. But pin prices will always limit new members. It's not like we are buying classic cars, but to say this isn't an expensive hobby is not always accurate. Perhaps if you were to buy an older EM game, it becomes affordable. To buy what the community deems an "A-lister" seems absolutely crazy to me. I have been told stories of the good-ol-days (5 -6 years ago) when the prices of these pins were exponentially lower (AFM instantly comes to mind). This hobby takes some money and does cause heartbreak but it will never really die....
    Pin ownership, in correlation with the money distribution in our world will always fluctuate.

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

Well, I didn't mean in the next year or so, or 'a ton of collectors at once', but it could happen in say 5 to 10 years that pinball-collection-popularity decreases again. I don't hope or think so, but who knows.

A slow and steady decline of prices over a 5-10 year period is *not* a popping of a bubble. That's considered a slow and steady landing. A slow landing indicates that there was no bubble. For if there's a bubble it'll eventually pop suddenly and outright.

I think the following things could cause the prices to drop suddenly:

1) someone starts remaking all expensive machines in quantity for half their price
    2) new machines start surpassing the existing ones by a huge margin so much that everyone sells what they have to get new machines

#72 11 years ago

I think you all are wasting your time, like me now.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

2) new machines start surpassing the existing ones by a huge margin so much that everyone sells what they have to get new machines

That is exactly what's going to happen but prices won't drop suddenly, they just revert back to some level after a huge two year run up in prices....

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from kehoe:

Bubble Pop?
    » YouTube video

That's the best video I've ever seen.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-the-bubble-pop/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.