(Topic ID: 49857)

When will Stern start using LCD monitors?

By Chippewa-Pin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lowepg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When will Stern start using LCD monitors?”

• By the end of 2013 20 votes
      24%
    • By the end of 2014 15 votes
      18%
    • Beyond 2014 22 votes
      26%
    • Never !! 27 votes
      32%

(84 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poll.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Exactly. When a company can sell-out games to customers before they've even been made, there is absolutely no incentive to innovate. Ironically, Stern's die-hard fans are the ones keeping them from moving their technology into the 21st (or in some cases, the 20th) century.
    It's 2013 and Stern is selling $7000 music-themed games with a monaural sound system.

You nailed it. All of it, but especially the mono part, especially for such a music-centric machine, is just infuriating.

Stern could probably milk large-fanbase rock bands as themes for the next 3 years without breaking a sweat....

They may have also unwittingly tapped-into pre-sale-hysteria-genius by coordinating LE sales with fan clubs as well....

The market is showing that with the right licensing/theme purchase, they can sellout a machine without anyone ever plunging the first ball.... why make a big change?

I think Stern has the luxury of sitting back and watching JJP for a year or so and see how the machine is received.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

I'm a really casual player (i.e. I suck), and I have trouble occasionally taking a glance at the DMD while playing.
    Not sure what I'd do playing a pin with a big LCD with actual movie clips playing on it.
    And I think my main thought after seeing pics of Woz and early pics of Hobbit is that it makes me miss the traditional translite art that you see when the machine is off.

There was an interesting exchange about this in the movie, "Tilt, the battle to save pinball." When they were developing pinball2k, they all kind of figured out that players cant watch the PF and the monitor at the same time, hence their innovative design to merge the 2.

It would seem JJP missed that movie.... Or, more likely, they just wanted to do something to "shake things up"- even though it couldn't really add much to actual gameplay. I suspect its absolutely gorgeous for spectators though- however- thats not a huge selling point for me.

#34 10 years ago

Coming from also having a Virtual cabinet, this is a funny conversation.

In the virtual cab world, all the rage is swapping out the LCD's for "real" DMD's.

Obviously thats for authenticity, but still a bit humorous that the folks that are starting with LCDS paying MORE to make them look more like old DMDs...

#54 10 years ago

Im more frustrated they cant figure out stereo sound.... I mean- come on now!

back to back rock band pins and shitty mono sound? thats just lazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-start-using-lcd-monitors?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.