(Topic ID: 65149)

When Will Stern Release an LCD Pinball Machine?

By Aussiepinwiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Part_3
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Launch a LCD Model Pinball?”

• In a few weeks time in a surprise move for the ST LE 9 votes
      3%
    • Sometime in 2014 79 votes
      29%
    • Sometime in 2015 59 votes
      22%
    • Sometime in 2016-2019 38 votes
      14%
    • Not anytime this decade 43 votes
      16%
    • Never. Pinball is about the playfield not the screen. 45 votes
      16%

(273 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1-630.jpeg
    images-11-518.jpeg
    images-7-97.jpeg
    Unknown-6-867.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-5-974.jpeg
    image.jpg
    outlook-not-good.jpg
    images-4-946.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    Deal-No-Deal.gif
    Alice-Eve.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 10 years ago

I see the arguments about the size and placement of the LCD, but ...
    Was a DMD an improvement over the older scoring mechanisms?

If you say "yes", then I don't understand your desire for no LCD. An LCD will improve the interface between the players/audience and the machine ... and I put players in plural for a reason. It provides something to look at for those that are not currently playing the ball, and it provides more information to the current player on the status of their play (modes, etc.) Just as the resolution helps makes the picture clearer, the color conveys more information. It is win-win.

Embrace new technology.

#74 10 years ago

I am still missing the concept of how monotone dots on a DMD beats high-res color LCD. I feel like a car manufacturer arguing with a maker of horse-drawn carriages.

Am I missing out on the "art" of driving the buggy down the road? Somebody enlighten me.

... and this is not about the translite. I get that opinion. I just don't get the preference for outdated technology on the dynamic part of the backbox.

#153 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

"OMG Star Trek WILL BE STEVE'S GREATEST CREATION EVARRRR!!"
    *release*
    "Oh. DMD. Bummer. Oh. Photoshopped artwork. Actor mugshots. Bummer. Only 1 toy?" etc etc.
    JJP is actually innovating and moving the hobby forward.

You have to admit that the game looks lightning fast and a lot of fun. I would put money in it in the wild. But is it?
    Innovative ... no.
    Great audio ... no.
    Great video ... no, but it does have custom dots.

#163 10 years ago

I actually love "fast". STTNG is a blast, and ST looks much faster.

Vid1900, I am just not impressed with the audio. The audio from the movie has a lot of collateral noise. I can see your point that it is consistent with the movie so perhaps it is perfect for the theme. IMHO it would be absolutely great audio if the callouts were from some of the actors and the audio from the movie was cleaner.

Maybe that is just a function of seeing the vids on YouTube versus seeing and listening to ST in person.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-release-an-lcd-pinball-machine?tu=statsdoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.