(Topic ID: 65149)

When Will Stern Release an LCD Pinball Machine?

By Aussiepinwiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Part_3
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Launch a LCD Model Pinball?”

• In a few weeks time in a surprise move for the ST LE 9 votes
      3%
    • Sometime in 2014 79 votes
      29%
    • Sometime in 2015 59 votes
      22%
    • Sometime in 2016-2019 38 votes
      14%
    • Not anytime this decade 43 votes
      16%
    • Never. Pinball is about the playfield not the screen. 45 votes
      16%

(273 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1-630.jpeg
    images-11-518.jpeg
    images-7-97.jpeg
    Unknown-6-867.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-5-974.jpeg
    image.jpg
    outlook-not-good.jpg
    images-4-946.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    Deal-No-Deal.gif
    Alice-Eve.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 10 years ago

For me, as a home buyer and not an operator, I don't really care about LCD unless its cheaper and/or more reliable. Granted I havent played WoZ yet, but while playing any machine I VERY rarely look up at the DMD especially on machines I know. I can't imagine looking up at the LCD on WoZ and having to process so much info at a glance. For a trapped ball, it's irrelevant how much info is shown because I can flip thru it. The only upgrade is to the animations - but you know what... for some reason I really like good DMD animations despite their grainyness.... like the Tron Light Cycle multiball intro is one of my faves and if it were the full color movie clip I don't think it would be as 'oh cool', its just another clip.

Maybe I'm wrong/crazy, but what I like about pinball is the feeling that you are MAKING the machine do things - Watching a great DMD animation or intro feels like I personally made it happen... watching live action clips or full rendered cutscenes I think will feel like I'm just triggering things. Kinda like how the old CD ROM games played - do XYZ and you watch a video... wooo. Despite the graphics and engine limitations, I think in-game cutscenes and live action events are much better on old consoles and PC games because you feel like you're part of the action rather than just triggering animation clips.

Once I play WoZ I'll know for sure.

If the LCD draws in paying customers, thats a different story altogether that I personally don't care too much about.

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

But my guess is Fast and Furious 7.

Judge me if you want... I'd be very interested in a F&F machine... Easily one of my favorite 'brain off' franchises from films 1 to 6

1 month later
    #236 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

How can you patent an LCD as a display device for a computer system? Not unique, and plenty of prior art to contend that!!!!

I would tend to agree. I struggle to see how this would be patented by JJP. I would expect the first patents on something like this to be held by vending machine companies (perhaps Williams ironically?) and it wouldn't be for an LCD screen in an amusement machine, it would be relating to the interaction with the display which Stern could always circumvent with creativity (haha) in the implementation.

To me it's like saying someone patented LCD TV's in bars to watch football - yeah its new tech (or was) but there's nothing novel about it.

#237 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Go to a WOZ un-boxing and then make the same claim. Seriously. The full sized map of the rules, the split info screen showing progress, multiple super-imposed notifications and full HD animations make the JJP-sized monitor the clear winner. The argument for a static artwork is just silly after playing WOZ in a home environment IMHO.

I have to agree the LCD is awesome in WOZ and the implementation is well done, but I would rather spend $1000 (just spitballing numbers here - I'm guessing you can cut a lot of labor tho) or more dollars less and not have it or all the extra programming and animation in my HUO environment.

Once I learned what I needed to be working on, I never looked at it more than a DMD. The playfield to me always need to be the #1 communication medium, the backbox is for the spectators and for drawing in location players.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-release-an-lcd-pinball-machine?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.