(Topic ID: 65149)

When Will Stern Release an LCD Pinball Machine?

By Aussiepinwiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Part_3
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Launch a LCD Model Pinball?”

• In a few weeks time in a surprise move for the ST LE 9 votes
      3%
    • Sometime in 2014 79 votes
      29%
    • Sometime in 2015 59 votes
      22%
    • Sometime in 2016-2019 38 votes
      14%
    • Not anytime this decade 43 votes
      16%
    • Never. Pinball is about the playfield not the screen. 45 votes
      16%

(273 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1-630.jpeg
    images-11-518.jpeg
    images-7-97.jpeg
    Unknown-6-867.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-5-974.jpeg
    image.jpg
    outlook-not-good.jpg
    images-4-946.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    Deal-No-Deal.gif
    Alice-Eve.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago

i guess someone needs to explain to me the huge fascination with a lcd in the backbox... sure, it's got a "cool" factor, but does it really have that much of a "cool factor"? how does it enhance gameplay? etc.

it's also a potential unobtainium/rather expensive maintenance item down the road...

or (as fatsquatch alluded to), is it really all about the "bling" with today's machines? and it doesn't need to add anything to actual gameplay, and it doesn't matter that it could turn out to be a real headache when it breaks....

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Are you joking? Have you played WOZ? Its pretty awesome to be able to tell where you are on goals by just glancing up quickly. Its a lot easier then holding the flipper button and watching as the status report flys by quickly.
    Also, it just LOOKS cool. The animated texts, the FULL COLOR of it all, really adds to the experience. It takes it from a mostly analog machine and adds some digital goodness to the equation.

no, i'm not joking... thanks for the comment though...

ok, so it LOOKS cool... gotcha...

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

I agree! And it is just another 'cool factor' that really doesn't fit pinball very well IMO but does get your attention. It can take a bland game and make it cool... temporarily.
    Don't get me wrong, I am fine with LCD technology in pins but not at the expense of the BG and it certainly doesn't have to be gargantuan...
    This is why Stern continues to succeed... keep it simple, keep it pinball, keep it fast and fun!

wow, teekee and i agree... i'm going to buy lottery tickets this afternoon!

#51 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Stern missed the boat with operators (their main customer)

y'know, are operators really stern's main customers anymore? i'm not being a wiseguy, i don't know the answer to that question...

anecdotal evidence (which i rarely trust unless there is a preponderance of it, and i don't have that in this case) would suggest that home consumers are really stern's main customer now...

anecdotally, it would seem there are far more "collectors" than there are "locations" these days...

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Let's see....which one looks better? I don't know. Its so hard to tell. I mean, the bra is so well defined in the DMD version......
    Tell me which version would draw a 13 year old boy in to play a game.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is the perfect example.

i know which one would have drawn in this boy when he was 13...

that being said... "draw in" and "keep him playing" are two completely different things... it's also entirely possible he wouldn't play the game at all, he'd just stand by the side of it and wait patiently for the picture of alice eve to come up over and over again... it's not like he can play the game and stare at alice at the same time...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-release-an-lcd-pinball-machine?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.