(Topic ID: 65149)

When Will Stern Release an LCD Pinball Machine?

By Aussiepinwiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Part_3
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Launch a LCD Model Pinball?”

• In a few weeks time in a surprise move for the ST LE 9 votes
      3%
    • Sometime in 2014 79 votes
      29%
    • Sometime in 2015 59 votes
      22%
    • Sometime in 2016-2019 38 votes
      14%
    • Not anytime this decade 43 votes
      16%
    • Never. Pinball is about the playfield not the screen. 45 votes
      16%

(273 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1-630.jpeg
    images-11-518.jpeg
    images-7-97.jpeg
    Unknown-6-867.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-5-974.jpeg
    image.jpg
    outlook-not-good.jpg
    images-4-946.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    Deal-No-Deal.gif
    Alice-Eve.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01_Sep._24_20.13.jpg
    There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Stern missed the boat with operators (their main customer)

y'know, are operators really stern's main customers anymore? i'm not being a wiseguy, i don't know the answer to that question...

anecdotal evidence (which i rarely trust unless there is a preponderance of it, and i don't have that in this case) would suggest that home consumers are really stern's main customer now...

anecdotally, it would seem there are far more "collectors" than there are "locations" these days...

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Let's see....which one looks better? I don't know. Its so hard to tell. I mean, the bra is so well defined in the DMD version......
    Tell me which version would draw a 13 year old boy in to play a game.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is the perfect example.

i know which one would have drawn in this boy when he was 13...

that being said... "draw in" and "keep him playing" are two completely different things... it's also entirely possible he wouldn't play the game at all, he'd just stand by the side of it and wait patiently for the picture of alice eve to come up over and over again... it's not like he can play the game and stare at alice at the same time...

#53 10 years ago

Next summers' big movies are:

Amazing Spider-Man 2
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Transformers 4
    Fast and Furious 7
    TMNT

Too early for another Transformers or X-Men. Maybe....Maybe...Spider-Man 2, but I think it's still TOO SOON.

TMNT hasn't been a Pin in over 20 years....

But my guess is Fast and Furious 7. This is a mature franchise that is actually in its peak, not declining. Would bring in the younger crowds, and might be a great showcase for an LCD. I could see this as a late summer or fall release.

#54 10 years ago

The ST back panel says it all...Stern will move to LCD, I imagine after the ST backlash the next game or at the latest the one after next will have it. Despite all the hoopla ST is not selling like MET and for good reason, There is going to be a few more choices out there for us, I don't think they get it yet, I bet they think JJP and Skit-B and all the others are just here temporarily, once that notion is dispelled you will see more innovation and less cut and paste.....promise.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

y'know, are operators really stern's main customers anymore?

No, of course not, but that doesn't mean it can't be. JJP's whole thing is getting location playing going again. The home market is going to be there but they're trying to add to that.

Quoted from snaroff:

...no one can effectively argue that single color dots are better than full color, high def images.

It's all aboot whom is making/editing/adding effects to the HD images, and how much autonomy they have. It could come out as completely awesome or a total train wreck.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

y'know, are operators really stern's main customers anymore?

Yes, they still are.

How many pins can the AVERAGE person fit in their home? 2 maybe 6?

Stern would quickly be out of business if they put all their eggs in the home market.

Half of all Stern's games go overseas.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

y'know, are operators really stern's main customers anymore? i'm not being a wiseguy, i don't know the answer to that question...
    anecdotal evidence (which i rarely trust unless there is a preponderance of it, and i don't have that in this case) would suggest that home consumers are really stern's main customer now...
    anecdotally, it would seem there are far more "collectors" than there are "locations" these days...

If this were the case, Stern would still offer a machine without coin mechanisms like The Pin...plain and simple. I believe that Stern's true customer is still the operator which means they need to keep up with technology to help draw someone in at a bar or arcade.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

No, because you need a whole new computing system to deliver those graphics. SAM is the processor equivalent of a GameBoy Advance. It cannot deliver hi-res graphics. The display is not the bottleneck.
    WOZ on the other hand has a linux computer driving it. Gets the job done, but costs more.

Doesn't cost much total. Not sure what a SAM board costs but the whole PC setup (less the monitor) isn't really all that much.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, of course not, but that doesn't mean it can't be. JJP's whole thing is getting location playing going again. The home market is going to be there but they're trying to add to that.

It's all aboot whom is making/editing/adding effects to the HD images, and how much autonomy they have. It could come out as completely awesome or a total train wreck.

Agreed, but that is true for almost anything...you can screw up "dots" too!

I think it would be cool to have 2 modestly sized LCD's...one on the PF (i.e. under the glass) that displays critical game play information and one on the speaker panel for viewer entertainment.

#60 10 years ago

Stern is competing against this for tolkens and quarters. Adding a redemption option on current pins was a start.

Deal-No-Deal.gifDeal-No-Deal.gif

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Not sure what a SAM board costs but the whole PC setup (less the monitor) isn't really all that much.

I would guess the SAM board is 1/10th the cost of the pc that is in woz. Maybe even less. I'm not defending it, just pointing out the economics of it and why they'd be slow to drop it.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I would guess the SAM board is 1/10th the cost of the pc that is in woz. Maybe even less. I'm not defending it, just pointing out the economics of it and why they'd be slow to drop it.

If the sam board only cost $27 dollars i'd be shocked But then again maybe I wouldn't.

#63 10 years ago

alphanumeric is cool enough for me in the display dept.

#64 10 years ago

Unless the game is going to include some serious video modes I don't see the point of LCD with Pinball.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Yes, keep a fun playing pin with an awesome backglass... a small LCD won't hurt anything but please keep in DMD sized. Don't take away the backglass for it!

Exactly my thoughts. My preference would be the use of ColorDMD's for all in-game graphics & scoring. A touch of color is nice and doesn't distract from the actual game. (plus I love the artistry of backglasses)

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

If the sam board only cost $27 dollars i'd be shocked

I would have guessed $10.

Anyhow, its cheap, efficient, reliable, you don't just throw something like that out and then add a significant cost to the machine, especially in light of when they are putting things like pegs in for supports.

Again, not defending it, but understanding the business behind it.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

People have reported that the LCD on WOZ is drawing people in like droves on location.

Because it looks different, period.

Its similar to having a row of all black cars and one red one , the focus shifts to the different looking one. WOZ in a row of conventional pins gets attention becasue it looks different. Flashing beacons / police lights and voice call outs in attract mode work the same way. Get peoples attention and then get their money.

I know of one op that had a broken ( turned off ) system 11 game on location and turned completely off it still earned $25 a week. Maybe a working LCD and a broken game would double it......

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

I play the machine, not an LCD screen.
    (Do not care about a TV monitor on my machine)
    YMMV.

That's what they said before the DMD era!

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Agreed, but that is true for almost anything...you can screw up "dots" too!

Of course, we all remember TF It'll probably end up really great, and I'll never even remember why I wasn't excited aboot LCDs. BUT for now, I'm still a little sketchy.
    Am I going to get action sequences from Avengers movie, or am I going to get karate girl ugly mouth flying across the screen 1000 times a game? You never know.

EDIT: You think some DMDs animations have aged poorly, Think if Addam's Family was an LCD and you had to watch clips from that all the time for 30 years
    EDIT: Or Congo or JM/DM etc etc.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I would have guessed $10.
    Anyhow, its cheap, efficient, reliable, you don't just throw something like that out and then add a significant cost to the machine, especially in light of when they are putting things like pegs in for supports.
    Again, not defending it, but understanding the business behind it.

On the other hand, a Rasberry Pi is $25, and can do HD video.

Not saying Stern should use Rasberry Pi necessarily, just saying that computing power is a lot cheaper these days.....

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i guess someone needs to explain to me the huge fascination with a lcd in the backbox... sure, it's got a "cool" factor, but does it really have that much of a "cool factor"? how does it enhance gameplay? etc.
    it's also a potential unobtainium/rather expensive maintenance item down the road...
    or (as fatsquatch alluded to), is it really all about the "bling" with today's machines? and it doesn't need to add anything to actual gameplay, and it doesn't matter that it could turn out to be a real headache when it breaks....

If you've played MM with a ColorDMD you'll never want to play an MM without it. And that's not changing any of the animations, they're just in color... such a simple change, but once you watch tv in color no one wants black and white. That's the cool factor, colors.

Sure, there are next generation options like high definition animations, movie clips, etc etc.. but just changing from mono tone to color would provide many many years of coolness for dot matrix displays IMO

The reason they haven't done this yet is simply the increase in development time (cost) that high definition color animation will require. It has nothing to do with technology, just simple economics. They don't think we'll accept the additional cost that it will require to provide the feature requested.

#72 10 years ago

Although an LCD could really draw in even more new players with some of the titles for the younger crowd, Angry Birds, Dragon Ball Z or whatever the kids are into.

#73 10 years ago

I'm beginning to think they will never do it. At some point I'll get frustrated with the ancient tech and switch to buying from another manufacturer. Would like LCD the size of large Sega DMDs.

#74 10 years ago

I am still missing the concept of how monotone dots on a DMD beats high-res color LCD. I feel like a car manufacturer arguing with a maker of horse-drawn carriages.

Am I missing out on the "art" of driving the buggy down the road? Somebody enlighten me.

... and this is not about the translite. I get that opinion. I just don't get the preference for outdated technology on the dynamic part of the backbox.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm beginning to think they will never do it. At some point I'll get frustrated with the ancient tech and switch to buying from another manufacturer. Would like LCD the size of large Sega DMDs.

That's not a bad idea.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

That's not a bad idea.

I'd even be happy seeing them use the color DMD just to add something for the price increases.

#77 10 years ago

Stern might never change over.

You guys keep buying Metallica, AC/DC, Star Trek, X-Men, Avengers......Gary says sales are up bigtime.

One game every 4 years from JJP is not going to pressure Stern into LCD.

My GF says that last Friday, Startrek was 15 people deep, Metallica was 4 deep and wedged between them was WOZ with no one playing (it was actually up and running, though).

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You guys keep buying Metallica, AC/DC, Star Trek, X-Men, Avengers......Gary says sales are up bigtime.

But Vid THIS TIME they mean it when they say NO MORE!

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

One game every 4 years from JJP is not going to pressure Stern into LCD.
    My GF says that last Friday, Startrek was 15 people deep, Metallica was 4 deep and wedged between them was WOZ with no one playing (it was actually up and running, though).

Is JJP planning only 1 game every four years? I did not know that. No one playing WoZ... hmmm I guess that's different then I have heard from other operators... either way I find it funny people will wait in line but not walk up to a open new machine with a full LCD with full HD movies.

#80 10 years ago

Over 40% of those who have taken part in the poll so far think Stern won't release an LCD until at least 2016!

Keep those votes coming in ...

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

I am still missing the concept of how monotone dots on a DMD beats high-res color LCD. I feel like a car manufacturer arguing with a maker of horse-drawn carriages.
    Am I missing out on the "art" of driving the buggy down the road? Somebody enlighten me.
    ... and this is not about the translite. I get that opinion. I just don't get the preference for outdated technology on the dynamic part of the backbox.

Stern has brainwashed folks I guess!

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mantra:

Is JJP planning only 1 game every four years?

I know many people who STILL don't have their fully paid WOZ yet.

What they plan and what gets done are often two very different things.

Quoted from Mantra:

No one playing WoZ... hmmm I guess that's different then I have heard from other operators... either way I find it funny people will wait in line but not walk up to a open new machine with a full LCD with full HD movies.

Star Trek was the Belle of the Ball Friday night.

People flock to the new and shiny (and Star Trek is VERY bright and shiny, it makes the other games around it look like mud).

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just think it's a futile effort. I'm sorry, but pinball on location is not going to make huge strides again. Arcades are gone and kids are busy with the millions of other entertainment options. And a LCD monitor is not going to impress some 15 year old who spends 4 hours a night playing video games on his 42 inch TV at home.

Now I have nothing against LCD monitors being added, I just don't think it's a big deal. My guess is some form of it will come to all machines down the road simply because it'll be cheaper than DMD. But I don't see a rush for Stern who is having no issues selling DMD machines and I'd rather see the money put under the glass.

#84 10 years ago

i want the holographic backbox mod

1) Can a full backbox LCD improve pinball?
    Yes. And yes, you do play the playfield, but with excellent design, you can also play the LCD backbox. For example, folks who play Super Mario Bros Pinball & Theatre of Magic enjoy the mini-games on the DMD. It's a nice new dimension to the overall game play. The LCD should not just be about ripping clips from movies. For example, (as a tron LE owner) on Tron and on Transformers the movie clips are actually pretty tough to make out. Too busy & too monochromatic. Higher value use includes: LCD mini-games, making map choices to activate playfield mini-games/modes & changes to switches, status across many mini-games that can be in parallel completion, scores & other reward attributes (mana, health, armor, energy, d&d stuff) that have direct influence on the playfield states, inventory/items collected & choice to use to influence playfield &/or mini-games, quality display (not crappy/busy movie clips) of related brand scenes, vehicles, objects, weapons, characters, etc...

2) What does it take for full backbox LCD?
    It needs a GPU (graphics processing unit), a CPU & ROM/RAM to manage the GPU, storage space for large art & video assets, & power. This will be a major change to the current hardware & Stern would need to hire talent (hint hint) to change both the hardware & software to support this.

3) Support
    LCD's do have pixel problems. These defects are sometimes caused from: time of manufacturing, during shipping, during maintenance/movement of LCD, general use. A protective material is needed to place in front of the LCD (not unlike the Deal or No-deal machine) to reduce intentional damage when out in the wild. Support time, staff, equipment & overall costs WILL increase. Do a search for Dell/HP/IBM support related to monitors. It is painful. Stern would need to build those costs into unit prices. If I were Stern, I'd build a true investment model and full operating model to determine the total cost of ownership of this type of product change, then make the decision. (maybe they have).

i could be wrong...
    ...just a guy who's been making games for 24 years

#85 10 years ago

I actually would prefer the LCD in the playfield like I see from Heighway. Lot of cool possibilities and something I'd actually see while playing.

#86 10 years ago

Black Sabbath

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

Next summers' big movies are:
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Transformers 4
    Fast and Furious 7
    TMNT
    Too early for another Transformers or X-Men. Maybe....Maybe...Spider-Man 2, but I think it's still TOO SOON.
    TMNT hasn't been a Pin in over 20 years....
    But my guess is Fast and Furious 7. This is a mature franchise that is actually in its peak, not declining. Would bring in the younger crowds, and might be a great showcase for an LCD. I could see this as a late summer or fall release.

You forgot Mad Max 4:Fury Road 2014

#88 10 years ago

Are you in on an LE ?

Should be a rotating beacon on the top for War Pigs multiball.

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Transformers would have been an awesome theme for the LCD unveiling. My personal bet is either Resident Evil franchise or Fast and Furious franchise will debut the LCD. Either would be awesome.

How much more of an LCD friendly theme can you get than Star Trek, man!

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I know many people who STILL don't have their fully paid WOZ yet.
    What they plan and what gets done are often two very different things.

Star Trek was the Belle of the Ball Friday night.
    People flock to the new and shiny (and Star Trek is VERY bright and shiny, it makes the other games around it look like mud).

Yeah WoZ LE's seem to be trickling out the door. I've had mine for about a month now its a fun pin. I thought I wanted a ST:LE...but man the more I see ACDC it's hard for me not to pull the trigger on a premium. Can't have them both so I'll have to choose

Cheers

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Are you in on an LE ?

Should I pre-order now!?!?!? You're making me....PARANOID ~ ~ ~

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

You forgot Mad Max 4:Fury Road 2014

Ah yes! The movie that's been delayed for several years because the decade-long drought broke in Australia 3 years ago, and the Outback has been too green to be the backdrop of a MM movie, and so filming had to be done in ... Namibia!

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from Part_3:

But my guess is Fast and Furious 7.

Judge me if you want... I'd be very interested in a F&F machine... Easily one of my favorite 'brain off' franchises from films 1 to 6

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

JPOP hears you!

#96 10 years ago

If it's not to be on Star Trek, and it looks like it's not then I don't give a $#!% if they ever release another pin with or without and LCD. Stern has missed the boat. Star Trek was the perfect title to launch a new LCD system and it appears they missed the opportunity to make the best pin ever made. Whether Stern or anyone believes it or not, pinball with the LCD is the future of pinball. The only reason I am buying the STLE is because it's Star Trek and my only hope will be if it ships with that god awful red DMD that I can change it out for a blue DMD or better yet a color DMD like I have in my STTNG. I was hoping for a Star Trek pinball machine with an LCD display before I knew about Stern's new Star Trek. Their was a post over on KLOV that was asking what should be JJP next pin after WOZ and I said a Star Trek with an LCD and someone said Stern was already planning to build one. That's when I joined Pinside to find out anything I could about this new Star Trek pinball Stern was making and I was first sad to hear it was based on the new movies but their was talk about it being Sterns first LCD pin so I was happy. When I saw the first pictures of the new ST and it had a red DMD I was sad and mad, how dare Stern build Star Trek with a DMD.
    In a few weeks time in a surprise move for the ST LE
    That would be nice but I wont be holding my breath.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from SaminVA:

Whether Stern or anyone believes it or not, pinball with the LCD is the future of pinball.

Definatly!

#98 10 years ago

LCD equals another price increase.

#99 10 years ago

With the prices of LCD screens, it would seem like a no-brainer for Stern to switch over. I don't get that one, if they are looking for way to cut costs and make customers happy this is it. I've been hearing about them changing to LCD since Tron btw, I guess Gary will do it when he runs out of those 10 million DMD's he has in the stock room.

#100 10 years ago

I think if WOZ does show better revenues over time, then ops will put pressure on Stern to come out with an LCD display. A big one. Or they may just increase orders for the Hobbit. Or both. Money talks, and the operators still drive the biz--that's where the volume is, even if the LE stuff adds a nice profit margin to those runs.

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-release-an-lcd-pinball-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.