(Topic ID: 241500)

When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?

By HighProtein

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by domrod
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?”

• 2019 8 votes
      5%
    • 2020 37 votes
      25%
    • 2021 17 votes
      12%
    • By 2030 22 votes
      15%
    • Never... 62 votes
      42%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mindlink--article_image-1 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    y1ixy (resized).jpg
    giphy da.gif
    pPBMBii.gif
    226FE396-9524-4A9A-9179-B5D377851AC1 (resized).png
    Terminator_Eyes (resized).jpg
    cd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stantman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t like pinball. You like video games. Again - you’re comparing two entirely different types of games. Black ops is DESIGNED to be people vs. people ...you see each other running around in real time, reacting to each other. Pinball is already designed around the concept: you vs. a playfield. Another player on another machine is playing against their playfield. You can’t be playing “each other” on separate playfields. It literally makes no sense.

It makes as much sense as Tetris 99 that you claim to enjoy so much. That's essentially you against your gameboard. Seeing the other players' boards is practically immaterial to gameplay, and other players' actions simply affect the difficulty on your board. You'd be as equally informed with a couple of status icons and counters on your screen indicating how many people are targeting you and their badge counts.

Existing pinball games make no sense for multiplayer... I agree. But saying there are no possible pinball game concepts that could work as well as something like Tetris 99 "literally makes no sense."

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that there is an inherent issue with physical components of a pinball machine that software doesn't have?

That's not relevant to the Rarehero quote I responded to. Anyway, the answer is "it's not". The difference is, I'm speaking for myself when I say I might enjoy a pinball experience designed for online play, whereas you are arrogantly trying to speak for everybody by saying nobody will enjoy it. Either way... it's no skin off of your back if it's developed and you don't buy it. You can continue to play offline games. Oh the horror.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL "that you claim to enjoy so much". Yes. I claim that. Why wouldn't I? It's well designed and it's fun. What a weird statement.

No argument there. I too love the game and agree it's well designed and implemented.

Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, so Tetris 99 takes an established concept that's worked for 3 decades...and turns it into Battle Royale. It totally works. You can see who's attacking you and respond in real time. I've asked it a million times already - but it's fundamental: What would be the "real time" aspect of playing pinball against each other when two different games and balls are doing entirely different things, on a playfield that's already been designed as a player vs. machine experience?

This argument is that a game designed with well-established simplicity and fun factor that's been turned into a great online game means all of the old pinball games with different design goals won't make for a fun online experience. I agree and said as much.

Your argument that no pinball concept will work online makes no sense, and I can't imagine how bored you must be to come onto a pinball forum, stand on your soap box, and say it doesn't make sense for a company to try. I hate the show Family Guy, but I don't care if you keep making it, even though I strongly suspect you won't ever make an episode I enjoy. I just choose not to watch it.

This forum is a very strange place.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It certainly is when people like you just resort to personal insults when they can’t make a valid point otherwise. I don’t have to defend my career to you. We’re starting season 18. That speaks for itself. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, and still doesn’t make the concept of online pinball good.

Holy crap, man. Personal insults? Defend your career? I couldn't care less what career you or anybody else chooses, and I'd never ask you to defend it. That's exactly the point I was making. You repeatedly misuse the phrase "false equivalence" because you consider your opinions to be facts. They're not. You can dish out strong opinions about pinball/gaming but not take a single and clearly minority opinion about a tv show you work on without getting offended and claiming personal insult. How about addressing the actual point and not trying to play the victim.

Quoted from Rarehero:

So now we’re post stalking? You’ve been on a tear with non stop ten mile long posts all over. But guess what - good news - you’ve proven yourself to be an irrational, hypocritical, insulting and obnoxious member of this community

I know you directed this at somebody else, but seriously, who's the one making personal insults? This is a discussion forum. Somebody makes a post you disagree with and you attack them? I guess we're done with the actual topic. Rarehero has spoken, everybody. If any of you disagree with him, you're wrong, and if you push your point the way he pushes his, look out!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stantman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-pinball-machines-be-online?tu=stantman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.