(Topic ID: 241500)

When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?

By HighProtein

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?”

• 2019 8 votes
      6%
    • 2020 36 votes
      25%
    • 2021 16 votes
      11%
    • By 2030 21 votes
      15%
    • Never... 62 votes
      43%

(143 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mindlink--article_image-1 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    y1ixy (resized).jpg
    giphy da.gif
    pPBMBii.gif
    226FE396-9524-4A9A-9179-B5D377851AC1 (resized).png
    Terminator_Eyes (resized).jpg
    cd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 7 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Most people reach pinball maturity in their early 30s now. I think it coincides directly with drop off in sex drive.

This actually made me laugh out loud and sadly might be true.

Separately, I actually think the biggest benefit (drawback depending on your POV) to online pinball will be to the home owners in the form of paying to update the same game with different modes, music and other features. DLC is the main motivation for Stern et al to go online because it is a potential direct extra revenue stream for them. The indirect potential revenue from increased sales to operators because you’ve built a better mousetrap is too much of a maybe to be their biggest motivator here. Plus as the glut of available games continues to grow and outpace the number of collectors and the space they have for machines, there is a stronger drive to Stern making more money on each individual machine they sell especially if it is money related to selling more software and less hardware.

As for myself, I will probably be fine and even glad to pay extra money for new modes, though agree I’ll also be hypocritically wistful for a time where games were cheaper and less connected and annoyed at spending even more money.

#95 7 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would this be fun? It’s like pinball, but annoying. You can’t see or interact with the other person while you’re concentrating on playing....so what’s the point?

Like it or not you asked for “how” it would actually work in practice, and this is a way.

#110 7 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is kind of funny how nobody can explain why any of this nonsense would be remotely enjoyable.[quoted image]

Silly fungument because no one has to explain ‘why’ something is fun. There is anecdotal evidence in this thread already that there are some pinheads that would find this fun. Take a poll with PoMC’s idea and see if it gets some measure of people saying they’d find it fun. Then nobody needs to explain why it’s fun.

#188 7 months ago

Charging for downloadable content is the obvious business play for Stern. That is why internet enabled machines will happen. Rarehero where is your debate on this? And I mean I’d like to hear your argument for/against it from the business, feasibility and fun aspects...

#207 7 months ago

I feel like dad and mom are fighting again

#232 7 months ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This is incorrect. If you put someone on ignore, you will no longer be able to see their posts, but they can still see yours.

Putting someone on ignore is the main first feature being built into Stern’s new online games I hear...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 248.85
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.50
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside