(Topic ID: 241500)

When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?

By HighProtein

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by domrod
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?”

• 2019 8 votes
      5%
    • 2020 37 votes
      25%
    • 2021 17 votes
      12%
    • By 2030 22 votes
      15%
    • Never... 62 votes
      42%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mindlink--article_image-1 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    y1ixy (resized).jpg
    giphy da.gif
    pPBMBii.gif
    226FE396-9524-4A9A-9179-B5D377851AC1 (resized).png
    Terminator_Eyes (resized).jpg
    cd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#212 4 years ago

Whatever you think of adding WiFi tech or not for multi-player games, my main concern would be actual competitors online at any given time to play against one another. I equate it to two recent flights I took. One was several hours from Texas to Maui and then back again, while the other was a quick 3 hour flight from Texas to Las Vegas. All of my flights had individual entertainment systems for each passenger that were free to use. I was excited thinking that I would be able to pass time by playing some competitive games with other passengers (e.g. poker, trivia, etc.) Between all of the flights, I literally started dozens of games throughout the flights and waited several minutes most times, but not a single time did I see a single other passenger in any of the game rooms. In these instances, there was a captive audience of hundreds of people with limited entertainment available, yet I was never able to coordinate a game with a single one of them.

I don't know what the install base is of a given pinball title these days, but I don't imaging it is more that in the low 1000's. I can't imagine the coincidence it would take for just two random home owners of a particular pin title who were in the subset of owners who even cared about online play to be online looking for a game at the same time. There may very well be other applications for a connected pinball machine, but if you look at things from a business' perspective, there is little to no reason why they would/should implement such technology for the purpose of live online competition as the userbase is just not there to financially support such a "feature". Looking at it from the opposite perspective, I don't think manufacturers lose a single sell because a pin does not have head-to-head game play capability.

Just because you can doesn't always mean you should (suddenly a Dr. Ian Malcolm quote I have on my PinSound Jurassic Park orchestration comes to mind). My thought would be that if such a demand was there, then why doesn't a third party invent/implement such a capability? Without oversimplifying the tech required, I'm sure that if a profit was to be made some pinhead entrepreneur would already be in the process of developing the technology.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-pinball-machines-be-online?tu=mr_tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.