(Topic ID: 241500)

When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?

By HighProtein

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by domrod
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?”

• 2019 8 votes
      5%
    • 2020 37 votes
      25%
    • 2021 17 votes
      12%
    • By 2030 22 votes
      15%
    • Never... 62 votes
      42%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mindlink--article_image-1 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    y1ixy (resized).jpg
    giphy da.gif
    pPBMBii.gif
    226FE396-9524-4A9A-9179-B5D377851AC1 (resized).png
    Terminator_Eyes (resized).jpg
    cd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago

A better question is "Why will stern be online?"

IT'll hardly ever work, ops will never use it, location Wi-Fi tends to be too flaky and change passwords often...

The effort it would take for a Stern pinball machine to operate on Wi-Fi efficiently and correctly would negate any supposed convinience to an op as far as software and firmware updates. They'd be "servicing" the game far more often than they do now just to keep the Wi-Fi connection hunky dory.

Not to mention most ops are in a cash-heavy business and also crazy (and paranoid) and aren't likely going to be interested in even the slightest possibility of their audits and adjustments being hacked.

Just like a million other things that people think Stern can just whip up in 5 seconds to give a whirl, it would divert time, money, and resources to something that simply isn't very useful.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Well when you put your head back together why don't you explain to the rest of us your understanding of how this all works.
    Who's writing the network stack? Can any of Stern's programmers do that? Maybe they can, I have no idea. Say Lyman can write it. Is that what you want his time to be spent on? You don't just stick a wifi daughter board onto Spike and call it a day.
    We already established that anyone who's a fan of this idea wants more expensive games, so okay you're in to pay for the wifi hardware in the BOM, and to pay for the programmer to write the stack and create an API for the programmers to learn to use in their games. I dunno that you're going to have a line following you down the block to pay more for games though.
    But the costs don't end there. You need to maintain a server for all these games to phone home to. Even if the ultimate goal is a peer to peer connection there needs to be a central server to initiate that. Who's maintaining that, after the hardware is paid for and it's been set up?
    If you've got answers for all that, and can explain to me how it's actually going to be very reasonable, with some cost estimates, then you can talk shit to us like we're the luddites. Until then keep your snarky attitude.

This is a major boom and reads like an encyclopedia of stuff people don't consider but should before they say "Why isn't Stern online?! It's a NO-BRAINER!"

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Who wouldn't want to see your friends, and play them for fun?

We've been over this and the answer is "everybody."

Nobody will want to do this, it'll be an expensive novelty that nobody will use. Playing pinball "head to head" online would not be fun so it would not be used.

It's a gimmick you'll show off to your bored brother in law. Then you'll try to show it off to your bored kids. You'll then give up and never use it again.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

What if the player could input the issue to alert the op: “broken rubber”, “right flipper is weak”, etc

It would be turned off in about 6 hours due to false reports constantly being sent by kids, smartasses, competing operators, people who do it accidentally etc...

What's it gonna take for people to realize all of this online malarkey is complete nonsense in pinball? You think you want it but you don't. And you certainly don't want to pay for it, which you will.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

would this be the end of tournaments where you attend to play, just go online. Save all the travel expense?

No. Too many variables and cheating opportunities.

Not to mention for many tournament players actual live tournaments are one of the few opportunities to get out of the house, they won't want to give that up.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

To me, it just seems like an option. You certainly wouldn’t have to use it if it’s available. Who knows? Maybe try it and you will be surprised. My suggestion is to just keep an open mind.

How much per machine are you willing to pay for this option?

$100-200 increase in machine with no noticeable improvements on the playfield for players? How many full-time staffers or contractors does a pinball company need to pay to make this open-minded option opportunity a reality?

I'm into the open-mind thing, but also the "wi fi bandwagon" should keep an open mind that this is possibly a terrible idea. I haven't seen anybody considering that yet.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

I dread the day these companies realise they should start charging for new firmware or additional modes/software features.
    So the consumer will have to have a paid subscription and then pay for DLC to get a better experience out of their very expensive box with lights. What happens when you sell the pin? Does the DLC stuff your purchased with your account get transferred to the new owner or do you have to do a total factory reset before selling it?
    As much as online sounds great (update without the need of a USB stick is my favourite part), there are way too many variables where manufacturers can start charging us for “online” stuff we get for free right now.

Yeah that is a horrible future I can't comprehend.

Hey how many people got Color DMD on their MM remakes for free?

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Alot of people in this thread without much imagination. Seems like a business opportunity for someone like deeproot to me. Kids nowadays love to compete. If you're playing against a friend you can be pretty confident they won't cheat. Imagine being able to do split flipper with someone with the same game as you. Or you both take turns and you can watch on your machine as they flip and hit things (using insert lights and solenoids already in the game). Just a lot of possibilities that would really draw in the new generation. Yes it would cost money, but if you're smart about it you can minimize costs by implementing suggestions such as mine

I wish I had the same kind of fertile imagination that you do to come to the conclusion that any of the above suggestions would somehow "draw in the new generation."

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Micky:

How many of the new generation are actually buying pinballs? Does anyone really think that someone is going to buy a 7 grand plus pinball so they can play against their mates instead of buying a $50 game on their PS4/Xbox/Switch/PC?
    For the record I'm in my early 30s and I wouldn't even do this let alone be able to convince a friend my age or younger to buy a bloody expensive pinball just to play against me.

I can't get enough of some of the least cool people on the planet telling us all what young people would find cool on their pinball machines!

People need to ask their kids if they think online pinball is gonna get them and their friends off the couch. Even if they say yes they are just lying to make you feel better.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

It's about parents buying one for their kids. If your adorable little prince or princess shows an interest in pinball for the first time due to these features or their friend that has one, guess what mom and the kids are going to ask Dad to buy next.

I can't tell you how many pinball machines I've hauled out of basements cheap that were bought for kids and 10 years later have 500 lifetime plays.

Like the Harley Davidson I bought for 1500 bucks recently.

Kids don't like pinball. They don't want pinball. The model has completely shifted; it's not for kids anymore and nothing will change that. Most people reach pinball maturity in their early 30s now. I think it coincides directly with drop off in sex drive.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Shhh. Don’t derail Levi’s old man rant/hysterics with facts/reason.

Says the guy who thinks the industry should be taking cues from Dutch Pinball. Neither fact nor reason.

And the "example" provided was complete apples and oranges. Mischief would be much easier and more fun if it were simply available in attract mode rather than log on to something called the "austin pinball map" on their phones. YMMV

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would this be fun? It’s like pinball, but annoying. You can’t see or interact with the other person while you’re concentrating on playing....so what’s the point?

It is kind of funny how nobody can explain why any of this nonsense would be remotely enjoyable.

I'm kind of interested in ... if you guys think this would all be so awesome and super cool, why not just do it tonight? I mean, facetime or something. yeah kind of low tech but you can actually see for yourself if there's any reason why this might be fun if everybody Wi-fied up.

y1ixy (resized).jpgy1ixy (resized).jpg

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Anyway, on to the when question. Stern will do it approximately two years after another pinball company does it. If no other pinball company does it first, then they will never do it.

Does this count if another company tries it and the gimmick fails horribly?

I see no foreseeable future when Stern does this, because it won't be a success when someone else inevitably tries it first.

Quoted from misterschu:

That's a solvable problem though, don't you think? Game comes in a Raw Thrills sized cabinet with accelerometers etc to guarantee the leveling. bulletproof glass used and no keys (who needs keys when all payments are electronic) so every owner has manufacturer settings exclusively.

I think we can all agree pinball machines are far too cheap. Your suggestions would bring pinball pricing more in line with what we should all be paying.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Silly fungument because no one has to explain ‘why’ something is fun. There is anecdotal evidence in this thread already that there are some pinheads that would find this fun. Take a poll with PoMC’s idea and see if it gets some measure of people saying they’d find it fun. Then nobody needs to explain why it’s fun.

It just doesn't sound fun and I'm not convinced anybody else really believes it would be.

but I refuse to do a poll!

#168 4 years ago

It does amaze me that time again people can’t see the difference between a car and a pinball machine but continue to insist on comparing them.

Pinball May one day die but the cargument never will.

#170 4 years ago

Hero is beatig a dead horse to far beyond death but he really is making all of the salient points.

I think it’s hilarious when I get accused of “being afraid of the Internet” while arguing with someone...here...literally ON THE INTERNET.

Also, I’m staking my claim to “cargument.” I invented it! Been whining about it on RGP since at least 2005.

So I’ve contributed at least as much to Pinball as jpop.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

I feel like dad and mom are fighting again

It’s always the children who get hurt.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

If you put him on ignore he will not see your post

I don't think that's true. This isn't Facebook.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-pinball-machines-be-online?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.