(Topic ID: 241500)

When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?

By HighProtein

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by domrod
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When Will Stern Pinball Machines Be Online?”

• 2019 8 votes
      5%
    • 2020 37 votes
      25%
    • 2021 17 votes
      12%
    • By 2030 22 votes
      15%
    • Never... 62 votes
      42%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mindlink--article_image-1 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    y1ixy (resized).jpg
    giphy da.gif
    pPBMBii.gif
    226FE396-9524-4A9A-9179-B5D377851AC1 (resized).png
    Terminator_Eyes (resized).jpg
    cd (resized).jpg

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

No. Two. Games. Are. Set. Up. The. Same. Way. Period. Full stop. The end. I love how people in this thread keep ignoring or glancing off that point each time its brought up. That’s a complete un-breachable hurdle for ant sort of online physical pinball competition. Be it live one-on-one or leader boards at anything else. It’s not Luddite technophobia to realize that....I work in tech, have a smart house, love tech each time it brings me closer to my childhood scifi vision of the future.....welcome things like LCD to pinball and am old enough to remember people freaking out over the introduction of DMD. There is no way to accurately ‘baseline’ machines which renders everything moot about any sort of remote competition on multiple machines. That’s the absolute realm of virtual pinball. Which, by the way, the new Zaccaria Pinball app is incredible and has an awesomely robust live leaderboard if you need that itch scratched.

#102 4 years ago

I liken it to connected appliances. They will implement it at the lowest developed level. Certain things will partially work, and maybe a few patches, and that's as far as it will go. Even if I saw some amazing potential here, it would be a let down - much like smart tv's.

Just wait until an auto update bricks your pinball machine as well.

#103 4 years ago

Online leader boards would be awesome. They are great motivators in video pinball and for all the flaws of video pinball this one benefit is huge as a reason to keep plugging away at a game. It gives an incentive to keep playing and improving even if it's just to crack the top 1000. Would this work for real pinball, who knows, for all the reasons listed in previous post. But there's cheating even in digital pinball and it doesn't really bother me, you just learn to ignore the cheaters and move on.

Anyway, on to the when question. Stern will do it approximately two years after another pinball company does it. If no other pinball company does it first, then they will never do it.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from zeddex:

No. Two. Games. Are. Set. Up. The. Same. Way. Period. Full stop. The end.

That's a solvable problem though, don't you think? Game comes in a Raw Thrills sized cabinet with accelerometers etc to guarantee the leveling. bulletproof glass used and no keys (who needs keys when all payments are electronic) so every owner has manufacturer settings exclusively.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Anyway, on to the when question. Stern will do it approximately two years after another pinball company does it. If no other pinball company does it first, then they will never do it.

Does this count if another company tries it and the gimmick fails horribly?

I see no foreseeable future when Stern does this, because it won't be a success when someone else inevitably tries it first.

Quoted from misterschu:

That's a solvable problem though, don't you think? Game comes in a Raw Thrills sized cabinet with accelerometers etc to guarantee the leveling. bulletproof glass used and no keys (who needs keys when all payments are electronic) so every owner has manufacturer settings exclusively.

I think we can all agree pinball machines are far too cheap. Your suggestions would bring pinball pricing more in line with what we should all be paying.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think we can all agree pinball machines are far too cheap. Your suggestions would bring pinball pricing more in line with what we should all be paying.

I think it's a marketing issue...

It should be:

"WiFi - $65k (comes with free Prototype Twilight Zone).

#107 4 years ago

Considering Stern uses all proprietary boards and software.. the development for something like this is probably too much when they are already working like mad just to get the actual code in the machines up to snuff. Can't see it happening anytime soon.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

What could be cool playing head to head would be not a full game, but timed goals. Both machines auto launch a ball at the same time, each player has X amount of time to score a number of points; # of ramp shots; hit various targets, etc. Flippers go dead and balls drain when time expires. All objectives can be configured and agreed upon before starting a game.

Yeah that would be a cool idea! I competed in that sorta thing back in the 80s for videos games where you go for the best score in 5 minutes, would be neat for pinball.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Your false equivalency game is in overdrive.
    Flippers made pinball into pinball. Explain how online play makes pinball into something better. Waiting for a real logical game design theory of “online play” and how it would be more fun than pinball as it exists.
    Tilt bobs don’t watch anyone. They keep people from damaging a machine.
    DMDs are score displays. They did add video modes, and some people did complain about that since pinball is pinball, why stop to play a lame monochrome video game? Most designers now insist “NO VIDEO MODES”.

Simple, because we don't know what can come of it. I'm not a pinball designer so I can't answer your questions instantaneously. But put some talented and forward thinking people on the problem and who knows what can come of it. I mean seriously if you are going to claim false equivalency then look at what you're saying. You're claiming nothing good can come of it because a bunch of random dudes can't think of an idea in 5 minutes. Sorry but that's absurd.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is kind of funny how nobody can explain why any of this nonsense would be remotely enjoyable.

The above idea is a good one and was conjured up in minutes, I would definitely use that feature. Now imagine if talented people actually spent time on the problem.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would this be fun? It’s like pinball, but annoying. You can’t see or interact with the other person while you’re concentrating on playing....so what’s the point?

Re-read my post. The word "fun" is not in there. I have no idea if it would be fun or not or if I would even care about those type of online features. I didn't start the topic, I'm just participating in it and tossing out some other ideas if online play was a thing.

Let the conversation breathe a little before shutting down every single post on the topic.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is kind of funny how nobody can explain why any of this nonsense would be remotely enjoyable.[quoted image]

Silly fungument because no one has to explain ‘why’ something is fun. There is anecdotal evidence in this thread already that there are some pinheads that would find this fun. Take a poll with PoMC’s idea and see if it gets some measure of people saying they’d find it fun. Then nobody needs to explain why it’s fun.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Silly fungument because no one has to explain ‘why’ something is fun. There is anecdotal evidence in this thread already that there are some pinheads that would find this fun. Take a poll with PoMC’s idea and see if it gets some measure of people saying they’d find it fun. Then nobody needs to explain why it’s fun.

It just doesn't sound fun and I'm not convinced anybody else really believes it would be.

but I refuse to do a poll!

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I bought in at the height of the bubble, I need the ceiling raised.

#113 4 years ago

Can't wait for when you NEED an internet connection for your machine to run. You don't actually buy it anymore... you just have a temp license that you have to pay monthly to keep running

#114 4 years ago

Head to head pinball!...forcing modes, throwing up obstacles, switching somebodies flippers, turning off their GI, etc. The thrill of competition!

Let's see how that plays out in the real world. You start a game playing someone half-way across the planet and it's a real nail biter. Neck and neck all the way. Suddenly the opportunity is there. You throw up the killer Scoleri Brothers block so he can't shoot ramps. What an incredible move. You start to take a commanding lead. Next thing you hear is "Fuck You" and the connection drops. Truly awesome.

I've set all of my games to one ball, just so I can get ready!

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

At first I thought it would be good for having machines on location, but after thinking about it, I don't love the idea. Remote checks on the machine would discourage an operator from checking on the machine personally. The software won't know if a screw is banging around on the playfield, if vandalism damage occurred, or if there are other issues tech alerts won't catch. I think most good operators would want to have a more personal presence. So my vote is 'nah', don't want to pay for it.

Operators would destroy the circuitry. They don't want anyone to monitor their cash business.

#116 4 years ago

Somehow my first post got construed from adding online to "head to head". I don't know about head to head pinball, it might work, it might not, but since I haven't tried it, how can I say either way?

These other things though I think would be good additions to pinball from an online structure, since I've used them on other products.

leaderboards (overall, friends, and metro area locations). Xbox, trivia boxes, etc all have this kind of stuff and it's nice.
    code updates (which can be enabled or disabled for those who'd rather use a USB stick)
    location map (so you can see automatically where the latest games are rather than having to depend a user updated map)
    machine health and diagnostics (good for operators)
    achievements (like game consoles)
    local monthly tourneys (so I can see where I rank at a location without having to drive there)
    bigger tourneys (so you don't have to record scores, they can automatically go up to the leaderboard in real time)
    game tracking per user (so you can go to locations and get achievements/scores on your profile)

None of this has anything to do with online 'play', it's just about being connected. As far as the cost goes, the parts for wifi are under $10 and a lot of processors have this functionality built in. The software is pretty straightforward. If you just put one full time engineer on it, they only have to sell like 30 or 40 more games a year to pay for it...that seems pretty easily achievable considering that's like half a day's production.

The thing is, you don't have to use it. Nobody does. If you don't want any of that stuff, you don't have to use it. But please don't belittle those that might find value in it, at least be open to trying something new before destroying it.

#117 4 years ago

Sure! $100 subscription per / year per game. Online operators will be forced to subscribe. Then somewhere down the road out of greed or desperation some genius sitting behind a desk at the pinball company will come up with the bright idea to take a small part of every dollar that goes into the location machine because the company deserves it. This will make online location play fade.

Sounds good! The future! You can’t kick something as great as this off you lawn Old Man! Get with the program

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from soapblox:

Can't wait for when you NEED an internet connection for your machine to run. You don't actually buy it anymore... you just have a temp license that you have to pay monthly to keep running

People like to laugh...but..yea...look at other industries.

#119 4 years ago

20k by Christmas

#120 4 years ago

Just the point that you're discussing it means its going to happen. Stern has already announced their games would have wifi access by 2020. So rather than talk about why this is such a horrible idea, which it's not, why don't you talk about all the cool possibilities. Obviously one is automatically update games. It's going to happen so focus here on the future not looking backwards. Once the games have wifi anything is possible, which right now with no wifi its just a stand alone game.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from zeddex:

No. Two. Games. Are. Set. Up. The. Same. Way. Period. Full stop. The end. I love how people in this thread keep ignoring or glancing off that point each time its brought up. That’s a complete un-breachable hurdle for ant sort of online physical pinball competition. Be it live one-on-one or leader boards at anything else. It’s not Luddite technophobia to realize that....I work in tech, have a smart house, love tech each time it brings me closer to my childhood scifi vision of the future.....welcome things like LCD to pinball and am old enough to remember people freaking out over the introduction of DMD. There is no way to accurately ‘baseline’ machines which renders everything moot about any sort of remote competition on multiple machines. That’s the absolute realm of virtual pinball. Which, by the way, the new Zaccaria Pinball app is incredible and has an awesomely robust live leaderboard if you need that itch scratched.

For friendly competitions just to see a name on a leaderboard with different groups, etc, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Besides Stern already runs these type of competitions without the online component. They have one running currently with the Stern Army Deadpool BOOM Tournament.

#122 4 years ago

If you think online connectivity is basically pointless and a waste of money to develop please explain why.

#123 4 years ago

It's only a waste if you reinvent the wheel. Scorbit already offers many of the features discussed. Multimorphic has games linked via Wi-Fi with internet play in the works.

Can't wait to see what people come up with!

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

If you think online connectivity is basically pointless and a waste of money to develop please explain why.

There's been a number of reasons explained. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them untrue. I would imagine there are a number of people who would both welcome it and scoff at it. The biggest issue I see is leaderboards are meaningless on it which is what many figure is the point to it.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Multimorphic has games linked via Wi-Fi with internet play in the works

A whole 8 people are thrilled!

#126 4 years ago

When I was playing Black Ops(zombies) online it was such a satisfying feeling to be on top of a bunch of random people. If someone could figure out a way for online pinball to become that competitive I would be interested. I like playing pinball with my wife and friends but I just can’t get the competition feeling I’m looking for to help push me to the next level. Maybe online pinball gaming will help maybe it won’t.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

When I was playing Black Ops(zombies) online it was such a satisfying feeling to be on top of a bunch of random people. If someone could figure out a way for online pinball to become that competitive I would be interested. I like playing pinball with my wife and friends but I just can’t get the competition feeling I’m looking for to help push me to the next level. Maybe online pinball gaming will help maybe it won’t.

You don’t like pinball. You like video games. Again - you’re comparing two entirely different types of games. Black ops is DESIGNED to be people vs. people ...you see each other running around in real time, reacting to each other. Pinball is already designed around the concept: you vs. a playfield. Another player on another machine is playing against their playfield. You can’t be playing “each other” on separate playfields. It literally makes no sense.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t like pinball. You like video games. Again - you’re comparing two entirely different types of games. Black ops is DESIGNED to be people vs. people ...you see each other running around in real time, reacting to each other. Pinball is already designed around the concept: you vs. a playfield. Another player on another machine is playing against their playfield. You can’t be playing “each other” on separate playfields. It literally makes no sense.

Greg, ever consider running for president?

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It makes as much sense as Tetris 99 that you claim to enjoy so much. That's essentially you against your gameboard. Seeing the other players' boards is practically immaterial to gameplay, and other players' actions simply affect the difficulty on your board. You'd be as equally informed with a couple of status icons and counters on your screen indicating how many people are targeting you and their badge counts.

Existing pinball games make no sense for multiplayer... I agree. But saying there are no possible pinball game concepts that could work as well as something like Tetris 99 "literally makes no sense."

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

It could have some cool benefits but bottom line is it's rather pointless. It would be nice to have a pin update itself automatically but how often do you update code? I've only had two Stern games and only did two updates. Putting a file on a usb stick and sticking in the game is not that hard. It would be nice to see diagnostic data remotely or access the menu through an app but again, how often would that be useful? None of this improves the experience from the players perspective. It adds cost and complexity for what most think are minimal gains.

#131 4 years ago

You guys are so short sighted. We need another alexa and item to watch netflix on!

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from stantman:

It makes as much sense as Tetris 99 that you claim to enjoy so much. That's essentially you against your gameboard. Seeing the other players' boards is practically immaterial to gameplay, and other players' actions simply affect the difficulty on your board. You'd be as equally informed with a couple of status icons and counters on your screen indicating how many people are targeting you and their badge counts.
    Existing pinball games make no sense for multiplayer... I agree. But saying there are no possible pinball game concepts that could work as well as something like Tetris 99 "literally makes no sense."

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that there is an inherent issue with physical components of a pinball machine that software doesn't have?
    It has already been explained but in regards to Tetris 99, sure you are playing vs the 'playfield' just like in pinball, but all of those playfield are the same, unlike in pinball where you have warped PFs, you might have weak/strong flipper coils, you might have ball trails affecting trajectory slightly, you may have a angle, one may lean ever so slightly to one side, one may serve you the subway return right to the flipper, whereas another one will shoot it into the slings etc. There are so many differences due to physical properties that any online leaderboard or competition wouldn't be serious. The list goes on...

Could it be used as a gimmick, maybe for 'casual pinball duels'? Sure. Is a gimmick worth the extra cash, extra manhours spent developing etc? My opinion is no.

If I have to spitball an idea for a feature that could work/be interesting, I would maybe think a co-op progression mode would be interesting. Where both parties are playing the same game at the same time, but certain modes/features needs to be unlocked by the other player and as such depending on where you are in the game have to work together to achieve Mini/full wizard modes and the likes. I.e. 'You need to destroy the ring before I can proceed with X'.
    Surely this would work best with a game/software set designed with this in mind, it's hard to put to use on existing pins and rulesets.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

You guys are so short sighted. We need another alexa and item to watch netflix on!

And be able to keep up with Pinside on, while we are playing.

LTG : )

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that there is an inherent issue with physical components of a pinball machine that software doesn't have?

That's not relevant to the Rarehero quote I responded to. Anyway, the answer is "it's not". The difference is, I'm speaking for myself when I say I might enjoy a pinball experience designed for online play, whereas you are arrogantly trying to speak for everybody by saying nobody will enjoy it. Either way... it's no skin off of your back if it's developed and you don't buy it. You can continue to play offline games. Oh the horror.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from stantman:

That's not relevant to the Rarehero quote I responded to. Anyway, the answer is "it's not". The difference is, I'm speaking for myself when I say I might enjoy a pinball experience designed for online play, whereas you are arrogantly trying to speak for everybody by saying nobody will enjoy it. Either way... it's no skin off of your back if it's developed and you don't buy it. You can continue to play offline games. Oh the horror.

I was touching on the comparison between Tetris 99 and online pinball play being the same, because it's against the playfield. I disagree.
    I'm not saying that I wouldn't enjoy nor think it is feasible to make pinball work for online play, I even came up with an idea (That might be crazy) that I haven't seen mentioned before. I don't think online competition will be a thing as there are too many variables for a competitive environment to strive.

Regarding being no skin off my back if a product that I disliked was being developed... Well you never know. It might pull off resources that would suit my agenda better, but Im not petty enough to care in the end. But that doesn't guarantee it wouldn't affect me

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And be able to keep up with Pinside on, while we are playing.
    LTG : )

Ohh..live RSS feed (okay I'm old) on the display while playing! That I could get behind lol.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from stantman:

I always play with the glass off so I can grab the ball when I need to. Welcome to online play.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from stantman:

It makes as much sense as Tetris 99 that you claim to enjoy so much.

LOL "that you claim to enjoy so much". Yes. I claim that. Why wouldn't I? It's well designed and it's fun. What a weird statement.

Quoted from stantman:

That's essentially you against your gameboard. Seeing the other players' boards is practically immaterial to gameplay, and other players' actions simply affect the difficulty on your board. You'd be as equally informed with a couple of status icons and counters on your screen indicating how many people are targeting you and their badge counts.

This is another false equivalency. Let's break it down:

Game design. Tetris is SIMPLE AF. Drop pieces, clear rows. There aren't scoops, mode start saucers, toys, and the general complexity of pinball.

Tetris and competitive puzzle games have been a thing since the 80's. Dr. Mario, Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Fighter. This is an established genre. Clear pieces/combos, send garbage to the other player.

OK, so Tetris 99 takes an established concept that's worked for 3 decades...and turns it into Battle Royale. It totally works. You can see who's attacking you and respond in real time. I've asked it a million times already - but it's fundamental: What would be the "real time" aspect of playing pinball against each other when two different games and balls are doing entirely different things, on a playfield that's already been designed as a player vs. machine experience?

...and one more thing - again, sorry to repeat myself...but, USER BASE. Do you know why Tetris 99 works? Because it's FREE (sort of). Let's say 10 million people have Nintendo Online subscriptions. They all get Tetris 99 cuz it's free and easy to play anywhere....that's a lot of people, which means there are always matches ready to go within seconds. Even the most popular pinball machine will never have a user base that is conducive to live online play. There are too few machines. They're too cumbersome and remote to have an active online user base. Even if someone did it, the process of trying to find someone to play will be rare and annoying...you'll just be sitting there waiting for someone. The joy of pinball is HIT START & PLAAAAY!!!! You don't NEED someone else to enjoy it.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I never said that online pinball had to exactly like black ops. It sounds like you like to put words in other people’s mouth which is fine if that makes you feel good. I think I like pinball and if anyone would know it would be me. I play in a local league and met a lot of cool people thanks to pinball. I have bought a few cool games in just a few years, so if I don’t like pinball then something is wrong. All I’m saying is just because you don’t understand how online pinball will work doesn’t mean it can’t work. Maybe some day we can play pinball against each other soon...online

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

All I’m saying is just because you don’t understand how online pinball will work doesn’t mean it can’t work.

This is the default response. I don't understand it. Waiting for someone to explain a functional and fun online pinball game design. I swear, this is like arguing religion....you have FAITH that online pinball is great and can exist. I don't. The onus is on YOU to prove it....but all you can say is that I'm too blind to see it.

PROVE IT! Fun online game theory, GO.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Greg, ever consider running for president?

Maybe if it was 1955 he would have a chance to run for president.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

That's a solvable problem though, don't you think?

No.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

This is the default response. I don't understand it. Waiting for someone to explain a functional and fun online pinball game design. I swear, this is like arguing religion....you have FAITH that online pinball is great and can exist. I don't. The onus is on YOU to prove it....but all you can say is that I'm too blind to see it.
    PROVE IT! Fun online game theory, GO.

Turn your pin on... other people turn their pin on..both people connect online both people smile = fun

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL "that you claim to enjoy so much". Yes. I claim that. Why wouldn't I? It's well designed and it's fun. What a weird statement.

No argument there. I too love the game and agree it's well designed and implemented.

Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, so Tetris 99 takes an established concept that's worked for 3 decades...and turns it into Battle Royale. It totally works. You can see who's attacking you and respond in real time. I've asked it a million times already - but it's fundamental: What would be the "real time" aspect of playing pinball against each other when two different games and balls are doing entirely different things, on a playfield that's already been designed as a player vs. machine experience?

This argument is that a game designed with well-established simplicity and fun factor that's been turned into a great online game means all of the old pinball games with different design goals won't make for a fun online experience. I agree and said as much.

Your argument that no pinball concept will work online makes no sense, and I can't imagine how bored you must be to come onto a pinball forum, stand on your soap box, and say it doesn't make sense for a company to try. I hate the show Family Guy, but I don't care if you keep making it, even though I strongly suspect you won't ever make an episode I enjoy. I just choose not to watch it.

This forum is a very strange place.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from stantman:

I hate the show Family Guy, but I don't care if you keep making it, even though I strongly suspect you won't ever make an episode I enjoy. I just choose not to watch it.

images (resized).pngimages (resized).png

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It just doesn't sound fun and I'm not convinced anybody else really believes it would be.
    but I refuse to do a poll!

Levi, I like you and tend to agree with you more often than not, but you definitely have some curmudgeonly tendencies.

The only fact that matters to me is that unlike most of the naysayers posting here, I actually own a machine with basic online functionality and I find it cool and fun and see huge potential.

For example, imagine how effortless it would be to run a best game format tournament on a bank of machines with connectivity. The machine ques you up and notifies you via your phone app. You go to the machine and verify your IFPA number, play your game and the machine sends your score to the tournament software. Completely automated!

But I’m sure you will prefer you no. 2 pencil and graph paper.

#147 4 years ago

It's bad enough that JJP seems to be putting cameras in all their pins now. We don't need online gaming.

Someone posted a new product here a while back that put games online and did a whole slew of things. The thread died with like 6 posts from lack of interest. The cost was ridiculous too. No one wants to pay for shit they will never use.

Edit: It was 9 replies. Here is the post. I can't imagine a mod that I would like to have less! Ugh:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-house-reveal

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

Turn your pin on... other people turn their pin on..both people connect online both people smile = fun

...until one person starts losing and turns machine off/disconnects leaving you to play with yourself. You could have done that without connecting to anything.
    But hey, anything is possible. Online pinball might be the greatest innovation to hit the hobby since electricity...then again, maybe it won't.

On the bright side, if it does become popluar, pinball could be the next Olympic "sport".

Quoted from alveolus:

For example, imagine how effortless it would be to run a best game format tournament on a bank of machines with connectivity. The machine ques you up and notifies you via your phone app. You go to the machine and verify your IFPA number, play your game and the machine sends your score to the tournament software. Completely automated!

This type of functionality is another story. I can see benefit for this to some people. I can see tournament directors and players using it. For home use it really serves no purpose (other than to post meaningless scores on a board full of "glass off" high scores). So would it be an optional feature that I can not have installed in my NIB machine or would all machines running on the line have it?

Pinsiders really can't make up our minds...do we want more expensive machines, or cheaper machines?

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

That’s not a game. That’s not design. That’s barely a concept. That’s “wouldn’t it be cool if....” without any thought behind it. You’ve ignored everything I’ve said so far about design, what pinball actually is, and user bases.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from stantman:

This forum is a very strange place.

It certainly is when people like you just resort to personal insults when they can’t make a valid point otherwise. I don’t have to defend my career to you. We’re starting season 18. That speaks for itself. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, and still doesn’t make the concept of online pinball good.

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-stern-pinball-machines-be-online/page/3?hl=stantman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.