(Topic ID: 266797)

When will pinstadium style lighting become standard?

By Richthofen

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mimi_t600 (resized).jpg
    ding! (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

So while I don’t have them installed on my games, I have played pinstadium lit games and I enjoyed the extra light. Being a tourney player I also enjoy how well pinstadium lit games look on stream; and how they seem to negate the need for “headlamp” players.

I think the through-hole GI is really legacy and there’s not a good reason why manufacturers like Stern don’t have integrated cabinet lighting. Now that LED strips are so remarkably cheap it would be amazing to have them OEM on new games. Perhaps even inset into the cabinet so the playfield lift can happen seamlessly. Thoughts on this? Is there an overriding reason this can’t happen?

#2 4 years ago

Why pay someone else $250-300 for a kit, when you can make your own lighting for $15-30? Read this forum.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting

#3 4 years ago

I hope that never happens.
    I like the small spots of lignt in a darkened room.
    Pinball should be just a little dark and sleazy.
    I know it's a new world, but still.

#4 4 years ago

Pinball is supposed to be dimly lit. Stadium lights look retarded. Might as well install some bright office florescent lights above your game. Washes out all the effects of the game. So stupid.

Edit: Not sure why this post was moderated. I was saying stadium lighting is stupid not the OP.

#5 4 years ago

HaggisPinball has lights built into their cabinet.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Why pay someone else $250-300 for a kit, when you can make your own lighting for $15-30? Read this forum.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting

Or similar chump change for a spotlight kit. Problem solved.

+1 for what Fatdirk said. Nuking a pin with stadium lights is retarded.

#8 4 years ago

Personally I hope never. Way too much light. I also feel they detract from the machines light show. if people want to do it to their own machines I’m fine with that.

#9 4 years ago

I think games should just be better lit in general and avoid lots of crazy contrasting on and off light shows. Get creative with it.

You could also give the owner full control of it. They would only engage in tournament mode. Default is off.

Win. Win.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think games should just be better lit in general and avoid lots of crazy contrasting on and off light shows. Get creative with it.
    You could also give the owner full control of it. They would only engage in tournament mode. Default is off.
    Win. Win.

That exists now. It's called aftermarket stadium lighting. It's a loss for those that don't want it since another piece of the bom will be invested in horrible stadium lighting instead of another game feature.

#11 4 years ago

Hopefully never, I for one don't care for them.

#12 4 years ago

Overpriced crap that washes out the insert colors to help unskilled players. Never.

#13 4 years ago

Haggis had some additional lighting built into the side of the cabinet on Celts when I saw it at expo. Not sure if that is n the final design.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

That exists now. It's called aftermarket stadium lighting. It's a lose for those that don't want it since another piece of the bom will be invested in horrible stadium lighting instead of another game feature.

Pay for it then. I’m talking about a factory solution that doesn’t affect with servicing the game at all. It can be improved.

#15 4 years ago

The day pinstadium type lighting becomes standard is the day I get out of this hobby.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Haggis had some additional lighting built into the side of the cabinet on Celts when I saw it at expo. Not sure if that was in the final design.

I recently played an America’s most haunted that had the same setup.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

The day pinstadium type lighting becomes standard is the day I get out of this hobby.

Wow. The hatred is real. Haha

#18 4 years ago

The other thing that bothers me about Pinstadium lighting, other than being a price gouging business, is that the first year they were out there were all these people hyping them saying how great they are. It was proven that many of the people hyping them were good friends with the owner of Pinstadium. Some of the Facebook groups banned discussion of Pinstadium because of the constant spam about this product.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wow. The hatred is real. Haha

People put led and neon lights under their cars too. I don’t see anyone asking for the factory to do it.

#20 4 years ago

Stuff is absolute junk

Please NO, just no.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

People put led and neon lights under their cars too. I don’t see anyone asking for the factory to do it.

This is a fantastic point. Never thought of it that way.

What if these brought NIB prices down?

What if they put Pinstadium out of business??

Win. Win. Win. Win.

I didn’t think that was possible.

#22 4 years ago

"Hopefully never" is the phrase that comes to mind

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I recently played an America’s most haunted....

Uff i'm sorry

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What if these brought NIB prices down?

This is always my favorite routine, the ol "lowering of NIB prices."

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What if they put Pinstadium out of business??

Go on...
    But seriously, Scott makes a product that dumbasses want, so more power to him. He's sneaky as shit and a bit of a truth stretcher (liar probably more fitting), but he's a business man after all.
    Half the buyers, at least, actually need pukestadiums because they've clownpuked there machines so horribly they cannot see anything.

#24 4 years ago

So you’re in? There’s one!

#25 4 years ago

I've bookmarked this page for when "worst threads of the year" comes around in December

#26 4 years ago

Pinstadium lights are as polorizing as US politic; why another debate about it? 50% see evil and the other a revelation.
    Both sides don’t listen or care.

Pinside Power users will get thumbs up and the others a feeling that they have plague.

Another rainbow Puke debate

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElectricLou:

Another rainbow Puke debate

Agreed. The sides are what they are, no point arguing, Scott's "beards" will come defend him....same shit diff'rent day

#28 4 years ago

...for those saying it Costs only 20-30$ making an after market set, you should start your Own business. It sounds so easy...

#29 4 years ago

I like the extra light too, but it can be accomplished with spotlights.. the thing I hate about the stadium style lighting, It takes alotta action out of the flashers. I loves me some good flasher lightshow! It also takes away from games that have cool dimming, or programmed gi coolness

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElectricLou:

...for those saying it Costs only 20-30$ making an after market set, you should start your Own business. It sounds so easy...

they would rather spread their knowledge around to help others rather than charge 300 bucks for it. thats why there is a DIY thread for it

#31 4 years ago

about the same time stern playfields stop dimpling.

#32 4 years ago

Someone at my arcade said they didn’t like pin stadium so I turned them off. He quickly asked me to turn them back on

#33 4 years ago

Yeah hopefully never. The exessive lights make the pin look like crap. I dont understand why people would ever want them.

#34 4 years ago

It boggles my mind that people think they look good on games like Maiden, where there are these huge zebra stripes everywhere.

Also astonishing that people buy them for nearly the price of a color dmd, which is a great mod.

The best thing about them is that they are reversible - if you buy a game with them in, at least rip them out and sell them to a pinstadium lover!

#35 4 years ago

standing in front of me
    tonight the lights will take me where I long to be
    Just like a thousand nights before
    I can't explain, it gives me something

give me the lights, precious lights, give me lights
    illuminate me, wont you let me play,
    let me play, wont you, wont you let me play.

#36 4 years ago

They are trashy and gaudy, as well as overpriced. Kind of like someone who overdoes her makeup to the point of looking ridiculous.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Yeah hopefully never. The exessive lights make the pin look like crap. I dont understand why people would ever want them.

I would not be the least surprised if they are floated as the newest thing on OEM pins. If $5 can be saved on the BOM then someone is going to go for it.

#39 4 years ago

Hopefully never. It just looks too harsh and the color's are trashy - just like the Christmas tree effect most folks get using color LEDs. If you want better vision on a game, put Invisiglass on it. That is another ridiculously marked up product that at least doesn't alter the intended aesthetic of the game.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Pinball is supposed to be dimly lit. Stadium lights look retarded. Might as well install some bright office florescent lights above your game. Washes out all the effects of the game. So stupid.
    Edit: Not sure why this post was moderated. I was saying stadium lighting is stupid not the OP.

Man..... so we can get moderated for calling objects bad names now?

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Love getting dinged for pointing out an obvious truth.

They are not to my taste but that doesn't mean someone isn't going to try. We have seen a constant trend from one manufacturer in particular making pins cheaper and cheaper. Just a matter of time before they try cutting this corner if there is a buck to be saved.

ding! (resized).pngding! (resized).png
    #42 4 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

They are trashy and gaudy, as well as overpriced. Kind of like someone who overdoes her makeup to the point of looking ridiculous.

Couldn't get this image out of my head once I read your comment!

mimi_t600 (resized).jpgmimi_t600 (resized).jpg
    #43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

So while I don’t have them installed on my games, I have played pinstadium lit games and I enjoyed the extra light.

Buuuut you don't have any installed on your games? Why?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Hyperbole much? How do you feel about the UV aftermarket kit for your Stranger Things?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

No, I think it was the choice of words. I don't have a particular problem with it, but some folks do.

https://www.sonc.org/EndtheRWord

#46 4 years ago

I'm dying at this thread. Some of you are silly, some ridiculous, some borderline need a reality check.

Its lighting, calm down.

Next pitchfork thread "LED's and other things that made my life suck"

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

No, I think it was the choice of words. I don't have a particular problem with it, but some folks do.
    https://www.sonc.org/EndtheRWord

#48 4 years ago

I’m not disparaging the differently abled.

3 years later
    #49 6 months ago

I got my first pinball back in 1987, FirePower, and I still have it. I work in I.T. so I like new and improved tech - probably why I like pinball so much.

I agree, Pin Stadiums appear overpriced. Would I attempt to make my own? Perhaps - the led light bars are fairly simple to set up. Would they have the flasher and UV+Glow effects that Pin Stadium has? No, I am not that talented.

I have not seen a game with one of these in it yet, but I would like to see what it would look like in my Johnny Mnemonic. I think it would be pretty cool to have the flasher and UV+Glow effects in that game, but I would not turn up the lights too bright.

What about PinSound? Any opinions on that?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-pinstadium-style-lighting-become-standard?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.