(Topic ID: 292465)

When will NFT's hit the Pinball Hobby?

By Bublehead

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Home Use pinball becoming a rich man's hobby?”

• Yes, We got to keep you plebs from owning anything good. 12 votes
      15%
    • Yes, and I would sell my sister to buy the latest JJP machine. 6 votes
      7%
    • Yes, but damn man, remember the good old days of $1000 TZ's? 13 votes
      16%
    • No, I'm not rich but these prices are killing me. 23 votes
      28%
    • No, I got all my machines before the huge price increases. 18 votes
      22%
    • No, I think you can still drop a dollar or two at the arcade if you need a fix. 9 votes
      11%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

have-you-ever-heard-of-nfts-leopold-butters-stotch (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220327-062927_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210429_090504 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Besides being the stupidest idea yet on this planet next to beanie babies, and probably even more stupid than $2000+ a pop toppers, can anyone actually tell me why they would buy a pinball related Non Fungible Token, and what would it have to represent before even deciding to throw away money for something pinball related that wasn't actually a playing pinball machine?

I wouldn't mention this except for the fact that I believe somebody somewhere is already trying to figure out how to squeeze even more money out of our pockets for something that doesn't truly benefit the hobby, like some of the add-ons that are commanding prices that are quickly outstripping the limits of discretionary spending for the average pinball home enthusiasts.

If pinball is now going the way of a rich man's hobby, will the rest of us plebs have to live off the scraps of whats left after the bones have been picked clean? I bought a MBrLE @ $8300 thinking that was probably going to be the limit of the pinball price escalation, and boy was I wrong there.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Well, you would have to explain what that is first.

What is an NFT?

Ok, a NFT is a non-physical, valued property supported by a blockchain... or in layman's terms a digitally represented entity that can be serialized and identified by use of blockchain technology, and to simplify the explanation, lets just say its like owning a crypto currency like a Bitcoin except instead of representing a dollar value, the value is the item itself.

Which makes absolutely no sense to me... from a "you own it" perspective, but here is an example-

the first "Tweet" from twitter was sold as a Non Fungible Token... A tweet is a digital entity, and someone put a price tag on it, put it in the blockchain, and someone bought it for some ungodly 2.9 million bucks.

Now since the item is a NFT it has a digital signature (serial number) that is entered into the blockchain and now, it can be identified and described as to what it is, who bought it, who has owned it, how much it is worth, etc... and all this info is available by simply looking it up on the blockchain using it's serial number.

Now say you wanted to create a Pinball related NFT, you might livestream and record the final round of a tournament showing the moment of the win (or loss) And now this digital video could be serialized, added to the blockchain and then put up for sale. If this was the ONLY recording of the moment (so very exclusive), and if it was worth something for someone to own it, it could now be traded as a collectors item, it's rarity and value authenticated by looking it up on the block chain.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Kevin Smith is releasing his next movie as an NFT to the highest bidder. That person can do anything they want with it.

And this is the smoking hole of scorched earth I am talking about... NFT's are like minting money based solely on exclusivity... the ultimate middle finger to other collectors in the "I own it and nobody else can" genre of exclusive ownership of "stuff".

If George Carlin were alive, he would be lampooning every sucker who ever bought an NFT, especially since he would go down the road of "people have so much 'stuff' today they ran out of room to keep it, so some wisecracker came up with NFT's, so they could create digital 'stuff' to keep on accruing more 'stuff' and you only need a thumb drive now to have some of the most expensive 'stuff' ever stuffed into it."

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Edit: I have to add this is a very good idea coming from the Bitcoing people. People collect all sorts of things and why not the first Tweet?

But my argument there would be how can you "own" the first tweet? It was an event in time/space that happened on a specific day, at a specific time... it was a simple text phrase "just setting up my twttr," and the application processed it and sent it out, and stored it in the database. This "tweet" is nothing but a string of 200 ones and zeros that were processed. There is no actual value to this jumble of digital data, no matter what supposed "provenance" you attach to it using blockchain technology... somebody actually paid 2.9 million dollars to own 200 bits of information that were created by some monkey sitting at a keyboard tap tap tapping in 25 ascii characters. Hell, this post includes that identical string of bits but its worth is just my own two cents.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-nft-s-hit-the-pinball-hobby?tu=bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.