Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fallout-ts
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Home Use pinball becoming a rich man's hobby?”

• Yes, We got to keep you plebs from owning anything good. 12 votes
      15%
    • Yes, and I would sell my sister to buy the latest JJP machine. 6 votes
      7%
    • Yes, but damn man, remember the good old days of $1000 TZ's? 13 votes
      16%
    • No, I'm not rich but these prices are killing me. 23 votes
      28%
    • No, I got all my machines before the huge price increases. 18 votes
      22%
    • No, I think you can still drop a dollar or two at the arcade if you need a fix. 9 votes
      11%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

have-you-ever-heard-of-nfts-leopold-butters-stotch (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220327-062927_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210429_090504 (resized).jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Besides being the stupidest idea yet on this planet next to beanie babies, and probably even more stupid than $2000+ a pop toppers, can anyone actually tell me why they would buy a pinball related Non Fungible Token, and what would it have to represent before even deciding to throw away money for something pinball related that wasn't actually a playing pinball machine?

I wouldn't mention this except for the fact that I believe somebody somewhere is already trying to figure out how to squeeze even more money out of our pockets for something that doesn't truly benefit the hobby, like some of the add-ons that are commanding prices that are quickly outstripping the limits of discretionary spending for the average pinball home enthusiasts.

If pinball is now going the way of a rich man's hobby, will the rest of us plebs have to live off the scraps of whats left after the bones have been picked clean? I bought a MBrLE @ $8300 thinking that was probably going to be the limit of the pinball price escalation, and boy was I wrong there.

#2 2 years ago

Yep, next year we will be posting...

"Remember when you could get a new '90s Williams remake-LE for only $8K? Now you pay more than that for standard 80's Bally remake, and you have to ship it in from Australia!"

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

can anyone actually tell me why they would buy a pinball related Non Fungible Token

Well, you would have to explain what that is first.

#5 2 years ago

Just buy doge coin the more you guys push up the price the more pinballs I can buy win win

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

What is an NFT?

Ok, a NFT is a non-physical, valued property supported by a blockchain... or in layman's terms a digitally represented entity that can be serialized and identified by use of blockchain technology, and to simplify the explanation, lets just say its like owning a crypto currency like a Bitcoin except instead of representing a dollar value, the value is the item itself.

Which makes absolutely no sense to me... from a "you own it" perspective, but here is an example-

the first "Tweet" from twitter was sold as a Non Fungible Token... A tweet is a digital entity, and someone put a price tag on it, put it in the blockchain, and someone bought it for some ungodly 2.9 million bucks.

Now since the item is a NFT it has a digital signature (serial number) that is entered into the blockchain and now, it can be identified and described as to what it is, who bought it, who has owned it, how much it is worth, etc... and all this info is available by simply looking it up on the blockchain using it's serial number.

Now say you wanted to create a Pinball related NFT, you might livestream and record the final round of a tournament showing the moment of the win (or loss) And now this digital video could be serialized, added to the blockchain and then put up for sale. If this was the ONLY recording of the moment (so very exclusive), and if it was worth something for someone to own it, it could now be traded as a collectors item, it's rarity and value authenticated by looking it up on the block chain.

#8 2 years ago

You know how people pay actual money for extra emojis on their phones, or for outfits/skins for video games? Or when Wutang made that 1 copy of their album and sold it? Yeah, it's like that except the 1 copy is digital only. The next crazy stupids craze I will never understand but people will get rich off of.

Kevin Smith is releasing his next movie as an NFT to the highest bidder. That person can do anything they want with it.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Is this written in English? Honestly, I have NFC what I just read.

Basically it is artificial possessions. It is a BS concept in my opinion. Just another way to throw away money for nothing tangible to show for it.

#10 2 years ago

Ok, thanks for that, I just learned something. I suppose in a truly digital world, this might make sense to me. And I do have some collectables. And some digital stuff for my phone. But there is a limited market for anything rare or "collectable" and many times items made to be collectable (Franklin Mint, Stamps, Pogs, etc.) just don't hold their value, especially as the target audience moves on.

Yes, LEs and rare pins are priced higher, but the number of enthusiasts willing to shell out $30K or more for a game, let alone a digital rendering or NFT of something you can not play - don't think this is going to impact the industry in a big way. And if by spending $$$ on that one more deep pocket guy is less interested in the real thing - all the better to keep prices manageable.

#11 2 years ago

NFTs are like a proof of concept. It has actual utility, but the way it’s being used now is very dumb and useless.

In the future it could serve the purpose of being a permanent ledger. Like pinball machines could have NFTs created of them. So then it would have a quantified, unique identifier, and it would be one-of-a-kind.
    Example being like right now, people are building their own TZs and MBs and such. They are probably just grabbing a random serial number. If you integrated NFT technology then you could have your “proof of authenticity” for the real ones versus the homemade ones.

Basically it’s a bunch of nerd data for people who enjoy verifiable data. In these days of an abundance of forgeries and fakes and scams, NFTs can be implemented to mitigate those risks.

Owning a digital “cat collectible” is not one of those utilitarian uses and is extremely dumb.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Kevin Smith is releasing his next movie as an NFT to the highest bidder. That person can do anything they want with it.

And this is the smoking hole of scorched earth I am talking about... NFT's are like minting money based solely on exclusivity... the ultimate middle finger to other collectors in the "I own it and nobody else can" genre of exclusive ownership of "stuff".

If George Carlin were alive, he would be lampooning every sucker who ever bought an NFT, especially since he would go down the road of "people have so much 'stuff' today they ran out of room to keep it, so some wisecracker came up with NFT's, so they could create digital 'stuff' to keep on accruing more 'stuff' and you only need a thumb drive now to have some of the most expensive 'stuff' ever stuffed into it."

#13 2 years ago

Sucker is born every minute

#14 2 years ago

I can't fathom of a good use for NFTs within pinball.

I could see something like an arcade using a crypto currency like Nano on all their machines and storing wallets as swipe cards. As everything would be very secure, fast, and free.

#15 2 years ago

It's a new way to launder money.

#16 2 years ago

Anyone want to buy my JPEGs?

#17 2 years ago

Lemme know when I can start selling my GIF's.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from explosiveegg:

I can't fathom of a good use for NFTs within pinball.
    I could see something like an arcade using a crypto currency like Nano on all their machines and storing wallets as swipe cards. As everything would be very secure, fast, and free.

I agree with explosiveegg. Pinball has always been a tangible, in your hands, tactile type experience. It's about having something real, not digital. Now, DLC is something I see coming. DR is trying, but they can't seem to make a game, so it will most likely come from Stern first.

Edit: I have to add this is a very good idea coming from the Bitcoing people. People collect all sorts of things and why not the first Tweet?

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Edit: I have to add this is a very good idea coming from the Bitcoing people. People collect all sorts of things and why not the first Tweet?

But my argument there would be how can you "own" the first tweet? It was an event in time/space that happened on a specific day, at a specific time... it was a simple text phrase "just setting up my twttr," and the application processed it and sent it out, and stored it in the database. This "tweet" is nothing but a string of 200 ones and zeros that were processed. There is no actual value to this jumble of digital data, no matter what supposed "provenance" you attach to it using blockchain technology... somebody actually paid 2.9 million dollars to own 200 bits of information that were created by some monkey sitting at a keyboard tap tap tapping in 25 ascii characters. Hell, this post includes that identical string of bits but its worth is just my own two cents.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

But my argument there would be how can you "own" the first tweet? It was an event in time/space that happened on a specific day, at a specific time... it was a simple text phrase "just setting up my twttr," and the application processed it and sent it out, and stored it in the database. This "tweet" is nothing but a string of 200 ones and zeros that were processed. There is no actual value to this jumble of digital data, no matter what supposed "provenance" you attach to it using blockchain technology... somebody actually paid 2.9 million dollars to own 200 bits of information that were created by some monkey sitting at a keyboard tap tap tapping in 25 ascii characters. Hell, this post includes that identical string of bits but its worth is just my own two cents.

Our overall idea of what things are worth is changing.

I look at digital assets like patents (loosely). Patents are ideas, and in many cases may never be actualized into tangible items, but they still are worth whatever someone would pay for them.

That isn't to say I necessarily agree with all the use cases. I also look at 'digital' items as things that can easily be copied in one manner or another. The more valuable something is, the more people are going to try to hack, steal and/or copy it. Digital (regardless of encryption/blockchain etc) is one of the easiest things to steal/lose/copy/whatever. I think the biggest issue though is survivability. The area I am unclear on is as with all digital items....okay so the NFT is made 2021 on current systems. In 200 years, will it still even be accessible for others to see (say in museums).

A few somewhat practical ways this could be implemented in Pinball is...custom animations, custom artwork, custom callouts....etc.

#22 2 years ago

Hopefully soon a comet will strike earth and blast some sense back into humanity.

#23 2 years ago

Tulip bulb economics.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Hopefully soon a comet will strike earth and blast some sense back into humanity.

I’m still waiting for the flying saucer to come pick me up.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

But that person likely cant do anything they want with it depending on the copyright agreement. Its unlikely that person can release the movie in theaters, but that person could sell that NFT copy to another person who would have those same restricted rights.

#26 2 years ago

If anyone is interested, I can sell an NFT of a picture of a walking dead topper for $1800.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from NTXCoog:

But that person likely cant do anything they want with it depending on the copyright agreement. Its unlikely that person can release the movie in theaters, but that person could sell that NFT copy to another person who would have those same restricted rights.

Supposedly there is no copyright on it in normal terms. Whoever wins it, owns it, and it did mention they could release it in theaters, stream it, copy and give it to others, etc if they so chose to.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Supposedly there is no copyright on it in normal terms. Whoever wins it, owns it, and it did mention they could release it in theaters, stream it, copy and give it to others, etc if they so chose to.

In this particular case, they are actually going to hand over the original movie assets to the person purchasing the NFT. Being an NFT has no discernible advantage over just a regular bill of sale, except for the publicity around it. In fact, I'm pretty sure the sale is going to come with the regular contract paperwork too, or else what would prohibit him from distributing the movie himself once the NFT is sold?

In that particular example, the NFT comes with more than just the NFT itself. Most of the other NFTs I've seen for sale don't come with copyright, reproduction rights, or anything else.

There are only two kinds of people buying NFTs: 1- old rich folks who don't understand what NFTs are, 2- people buying NFTs hoping to make quick money by reselling it immediately.

A quick analogy for people who don't understand what an NFT is: it's the digital equivalent of the hologram sticker you get when you buy something collectible. Except you only get the hologram sticker, not the actual thing.

#29 2 years ago

Too late, they already have!!

20210429_090504 (resized).jpg20210429_090504 (resized).jpg
    #30 2 years ago

Oooo, I hope I'm the first.

Put up three this morning. Since I know you all don't have a lot of money to throw around on non-necessities I made them cheap. I've got Standard, Special and Limited edition. 1/1 for now, but of course might pump out some more JJP-style if the demand is there. I'm going to hype these to all my newly wealthy twitter friends, so act fast!!!!!

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/92981652445915725613681440818043053803939531205987619453890679076381962272769

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/92981652445915725613681440818043053803939531205987619453890679078580985528321

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/92981652445915725613681440818043053803939531205987619453890679077481473900545

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Too late, they already have!!
    [quoted image]

Those are cool tokens! I want one ☝️

#32 2 years ago

Wouldn't that suck if there was a generator fire near the room the Ethereum blockchain servers are that sets off the water sprinklers. How much money would be lost?

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Wouldn't that suck if there was a generator fire near the room the Ethereum blockchain servers are that sets off the water sprinklers. How much money would be lost?

Hopefully no more than the last hour and a half from the previous backup

1 month later
    #34 2 years ago

Looks like the NFT bubble burst.

4 months later
    2 months later
    #37 2 years ago

NFTs, along with Bitcoin and much of the digital world are simply evidence of the disease that has spread throughout our world. People who think up this stuff have far too much time on their hands. They'd be far more useful digging a ditch, cleaning tables, or doing just about anything useful.

I'm fairly confident in another 25 years no one will actually do anything anymore. There will be only three jobs - insurance sales, nail salon artist, and recording artist. Those who can't do one of those tasks - or those who do not wish to - will be on full disability benefits.

#38 2 years ago

Hey Knockerlover….why are there so many of them? It appears there are multiple NFT for the same art. I thought there was some exclusivity to producing an NFT. What am I missing? Thanks.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Hey Knockerlover….why are there so many of them? It appears there are multiple NFT for the same art. I thought there was some exclusivity to producing an NFT. What am I missing? Thanks.

Just realized these are playable, although the game isn't that great, lol.

Looks like there are 495 in this series, all of them have the same traits.. so the exclusivity is just the number you're issued #1-#495 the same group did an arcade release where they are all truly unique kinda cool.. a pac man variant, some of them have elon musk as pac man.. the internet is an interesting place.

https://opensea.io/collection/arcadenft

#40 2 years ago

Most expensive NFT’s are only a rug zap away from oblivion. What you got then? A Staples thumb drive worth $9.

Pure idiocy.

3 months later
    #41 2 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

It's a new way to launder money.

Old ways were pinball and arcade games lol.

#42 2 years ago

STERN LE
    OR...

Screenshot_20220327-062927_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220327-062927_Chrome (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #43 2 years ago

I have gone down a deep rabbit hole, and have learned pretty much everything about NFTs. Well, almost. For the last couple of years, I've been avoiding NFT's. Or I guess just ignoring. But as a designer, something sparked in me a couple of months ago and spent way too much time figuring them out.

In a way they're cool. In another way, they're stupid frustrating when you see people making millions off of cheap illustrations. They're like digital trading cards. Some are common, some are "Rare."

I think we're still in the beginning stages of NFT's and they aren't even being used the way we'll use them 10 years from now. Think of NFT's like digital fingerprints. Something that can identify ownership of a digital file. We may soon be able to purchase and re-sell music or movies. And NFT's allow for the creator to get royalties from reselling, something studios have hated about resell shops.

And who knows, we also may be able to track ownership of physical goods too. Think deeds to land or house. Cars, etc. It could be more secure than the paper trail we leave today will all those transactions. Again, still all early. But could change drastically in the future.

But, if you're currently into NFT's, I've got a couple of things right now. Cassette tapes and my Medium format film photos. Note, if you purchase a Medium format film photo, I'll mail you a 14in x 14in physical photo.

Cassettes: https://opensea.io/collection/crypto-mixes
    Medium Format Film: https://opensea.io/collection/developed

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I have gone down a deep rabit hole, and have learned pretty much everything about NFTs. Well, almost. For the last couple years, I've been avoiding NFT's. Or I guess just ignoring. But as a designer, something sparked in me the a couple months ago, and spend way too much time figuring them out.
    In a way they're cool. In another way, they're stupid frustrating when you see people making millions off of cheap illustrations. They're like digital trading cards. Some are common, some are "Rare."
    I think we're still in the beginning stages of NFT's and they aren't even being used the way we'll use them 10 years from now. Think of NFT's like a digital fingerprint. Something that can identify ownership of a digital file. We may soon be able to purchase and re-sell music or movies. And NFT's allow for the creator to get royalties from reselling, something studios have hated about resell shops.
    And who knows, we also may be able to track ownership of physical goods too. Think deeds to land or house. Cars, etc. It could be more secure than the paper-trail we leave today will all those transactions. Again, still all early. But could change drasticly in the future.
    But, if you're currently into NFT's, I've got a couple things right now. Cassette tapes and my Medium format film photos. Note, if you purchase a Medium format film photo, I'll mail you a 14in x 14in physical photo.
    Cassettes: https://opensea.io/collection/crypto-mixes
    Medium Format Film: https://opensea.io/collection/developed

Good luck. My biggest headscratcher of the current craze is what pops and what doesn't. I get that art is subjective, but...wow.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Good luck. My biggest headscratcher of the current craze is what pops and what doesn't. I get that art is subjective, but...wow.

Yep. Being a designer for the last 20-ish years, what's gong on with NFT's is exactly what I've seen throughout my career. And the only explanation I have for it is everyone is in this giant lottery pool, and the universe hand-selects those who instantly get what they want. I've seen designers work their ass off creating a product, promoting it, and get nowhere with it. Only for someone else to do something similar, make one random comment about it, and boom, instant fame.

These last two months I've been inspired by it all and deflated.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

And to maybe better explain this, it's not that there are duplicates of the same image, its that each image can be individually traced. Like DVD's at the store. They sell multiple copies of the same movie. Multiple people can own them. I too thought that NFT's meant that they had to be completely original from one another and the original atwork. Not the case. Again, think of NFT's like movies. You may own the movie. But you have no rights to it. You can't reproduce it. You can't re-edit it and resell it. You can only resell the item as is, like you got it.

It's a way to create rareity. So someone could come up with a series of Designs. They may have a basic design and have 100 of the same thing available. Then they may add a variation of another with only 20 available. And then, they may do a 1 of 1 variation of it. So obviously the value of the 1 of 1 will be more than one of the 100's. Like trading cards and foil versions.

Just depends on how people want to sell their NFT's. And each one is technically "serial numbered" so #0001 could technically be more valuable than #0100. Just depends.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Yep. Being a designer for the last 20-ish years, what's gong on with NFT's is exactly what I've seen throughout my career. And the only explanation I have for it is everyone is in this giant lottery pool, and the universe hand-selects those who instantly get what they want. I've seen designers work their ass off creating a product, promoting it, and get nowhere with it. Only for someone else to do something similar, make one random comment about it, and boom, instant fame.
    These last two months I've been inspired by it all and deflated.

Imo the most important aspects of an NFT is A) the community B) the utility.

#48 2 years ago

Why do you all want to own a receipt for a jpeg?

NFTs and Crapto are complete garbage. They are literally unregulated scam ecosystems that play on the weakness of gamblers and get rich quick suckers.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

NFTs and Crapto are complete garbage. They are literally unregulated scam ecosystems that play on the weakness of gamblers and get rich quick suckers.

Strong disagree.
    The jpeg is equivalent to a stock certificate. It’s not the jpeg that brings the value (most of the time) it’s the smart contract code attached to the token that brings the value.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Obviously a secptic and has only formed an opinion from looking on the outside. Much like how my dad assumes that you'll instantly be murdered if you step foot in Chicago, Detroit, New York, and LA.

I thought the same thing about Bitcoin when I first heard about in around 2010. And it's still around 10+ years later.

Potientially risky. Yes. But disappearing. No.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-nft-s-hit-the-pinball-hobby?hl=mdeslaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.