Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fallout-ts
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Home Use pinball becoming a rich man's hobby?”

• Yes, We got to keep you plebs from owning anything good. 12 votes
      15%
    • Yes, and I would sell my sister to buy the latest JJP machine. 6 votes
      7%
    • Yes, but damn man, remember the good old days of $1000 TZ's? 13 votes
      16%
    • No, I'm not rich but these prices are killing me. 23 votes
      28%
    • No, I got all my machines before the huge price increases. 18 votes
      22%
    • No, I think you can still drop a dollar or two at the arcade if you need a fix. 9 votes
      11%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

have-you-ever-heard-of-nfts-leopold-butters-stotch (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220327-062927_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20210429_090504 (resized).jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

Smart money says it will be how Jpop makes his fifth go at finishing RAZA

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Imo the most important aspects of an NFT is A) the community B) the utility.

I get the community portion, sorta. Been following a lot more NFT and Crypto people on Twitter, and man, it's a whole other world. People are crazy about the bored ape social aspects. Like owning a Ferarri or Laborgini.

But don't feel that every collection needs to be a community. I've seen a lot of projects where they give their 8 step roadmap, and exclusive discord whatever. I don't care about any of that. And really, I'm sure 99% of the creators don't ether. It's just something they feel they need to show. I'm not going to join a Discord channel based on an avatar.

But I do see some projects, like the Dogami, that would benefit from a community.

I just think that the next evolution will be geared more towards those larger players and less on individuals like myself. A lot of money will be invested in the creation of their NFT project. Unlike me trying to sell my film photos.

#53 2 years ago

Well have fun in your speculation guys! Just don't bet it all

/drained

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I get the community portion, sorta. Been following a lot more NFT and Crypto people on Twitter, and man, it's a whole other world. People are crazy about the bored ape social aspects. Like owning a Ferarri or Laborgini.
    But don't feel that every collection needs to be a community. I've seen a lot of projects where they give their 8 step roadmap, and exclusive discord whatever. I don't care about any of that. And really, I'm sure 99% of the creators don't ether. It's just something they feel they need to show. I'm not going to join a Discord channel based on an avatar.
    But I do see some projects, like the Dogami, that would benefit from a community.
    I just think that the next evolution will be geared more towards those larger players and less on individuals like myself. A lot of money will be invested in the creation of their NFT project. Unlike me trying to sell my film photos.

I spend a lot of time on Discord, too much for sure. Right now I’m hitting about a 75% success rate in picking projects either pre or post launch. My two biggest indicators right now are A) community B) utility.

For those art 1 of 1 or the erc-1155 opensea isnt a good place to post. I think you’d do better on rarible or perhaps switching to Sol and using holoplex. Those aren’t what I buy but ppl seem to do much better there.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I spend a lot of time on Discord, too much for sure. Right now I’m hitting about a 75% success rate in picking projects either pre or post launch. My two biggest indicators right now are A) community B) utility.
    For those art 1 of 1 or the erc-1155 opensea isnt a good place to post. I think you’d do better on rarible or perhaps switching to Sol and using holoplex. Those aren’t what I buy but ppl seem to do much better there.

I've got stuff on Objkt too. Sold two things so far. But found out it's definitely a screaming match. Way too much noise to try and find your way through to get noticed.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I've got stuff on Objkt too. Sold two things so far. But found out it's definitely a screaming match. Way too much noise to try and find your way through to get noticed.

Yeah hence the community. Antebellum is about to launch and I expect it to be an instant sellout with x2 x3 same day markup.

NFT started with art but has moved past it already imo. You need the utility. Like if your art has a following launch a collectors pass where every month you airdrop or have claimable free mint for members. This only works if you have enough fans who will buy your pass. Marketing and community are very important in this space.

#57 2 years ago

Never going to come to pinball.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Never going to come to pinball.

https://www.mprnews.org/amp/story/newscut/2012/02/the_internet_futurist_who_thou

As far as pinball applications, I agree. It doesn’t make much sense. Maybe if you had an arcade and wanted to give members a discount on coin drop. Or if Stern wanted to sell VIP NFT that promised a rsvp for LEs. But overall it isn’t a good fit for pinball.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Well...part of my issue with how it is being utilized right now is fake hype. It's very similar to how new release indie games gain traction. Whoever is hyping them on social media and then their followers flock to the same thing as the next great thing. It is fleeting. Few people WANT these. They are buying them based on if they think they'll go up in value or not. Art in general doesn't work that way until many many many years later.

I do see actual aspects of the NFT idea as useful in the future, but those aren't the aspects being touted currently - at least by the majority.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

https://www.mprnews.org/amp/story/newscut/2012/02/the_internet_futurist_who_thou
    As far as pinball applications, I agree. It doesn’t make much sense. Maybe if you had an arcade and wanted to give members a discount on coin drop. Or if Stern wanted to sell VIP NFT that promised a rsvp for LEs. But overall it isn’t a good fit for pinball.

Local arcade uses Payrange for their machines along with token drops. I used Payrange once, and decided it wasn't for me because it always left change left in your account. Much like how Dave and Busters does their cards. Now, if Payrange would use cyrpto, I could see that being more enticing.

And I could see check ins into a location as a "stamp" NFT. Like how FourSquare used to be. There's a service out there called POAP, which does that. But I've never seen any events in person that use these. They'd really have no value, other than the value that they record your visit.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

NFT started with art but has moved past it already imo. You need the utility.

This might be a stupid question, but why not just market the utility for whatever that is? Why does it need to be connected to an NFT with no underlying value?

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

This might be a stupid question, but why not just market the utility for whatever that is? Why does it need to be connected to an NFT with no underlying value?

because technology doesn't grab the same people and bores most. They are making millions off of people who are like "ohhh my monkey has a beard".

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Think of it like a membership that you pay the value upfront. When you’re done with the membership you can sell it to someone else. How the NFT makes money is they get a cut of every sale.

#64 2 years ago

I would be shocked if Stern does not have some marketing people researching these as another potential revenue source and offering exclusive access to events/machines. Also would not be surprised to see certain pinball podcasters that are already moving toward the pay-to-listen model get into NFTs for the same reason.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Think of it like a membership that you pay the value upfront. When you’re down with the membership you can sell it to someone else. How the NFT makes money is they get a cut of every sale.

Couldn't that all happen without an NFT involved?
    The membership, or whatever else of value which is being marketed, just needs to structured to allow that.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

The membership, or whatever else of value which is being marketed, just needs to structured to allow that.

Sure it could but if it’s programmed into a smart contract that’s tied to a token, then everything is transparent. If you allow the company to handle everything internally on the backend then you lose the ownership.

I’m not saying anyone should buy these…just clearing up that NFTs are a lot more than pictures of monkeys.

#67 2 years ago

I'll start off by saying that 99% of all NFTs are absolute garbage. That said, I've come around on things like NBATopShot. It's a lot like collecting sports cards. Just remove the printed cardboard rectangle and make them infinitely easier to sell. I recently used profits from my MLB Candy sales to take my wife and kids to France.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

If it was structured like that, sure. But for years MMOG's like World of Warcraft have banned the sale of any ingame items or money outside of their game. Because they don't get a cut of it. And that's the utility part of the NFT. Games are starting to be built around this system, so it works that way now. Users can sell, and the maker gets royalties from it.

But also, it's currently pricing out a lot of people. There's a game called Blockchain Brawlers. Looks cool. Based on those 80's wrestling toys. But right now, it seems like the buy-in price is around $4000.

I started doing WAX a few weeks ago. Funko Pop had a Transfomers release. I bought two packs and got a card that allows me to redeem it for an actual physical Funko. Currenly selling at $100. Then did the same for Hot Wheels. Actually got a card to get a real Hot Wheels too.

Like I said, this is all new, and people are starting to figure it out.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'll start off by saying that 99% of all NFTs are absolute garbage.

Agree. It's a lot of people like me who saw others making millions of dollars and thought they could get in on it. The thing that drives me nuts though is the amount of people without an original idea. Bored Apes took off, so now there are millions of variations and flat-out steals of them.

My first posting, I set my price to $2000 and woke the morning looking at my wallet like I should have $2000 more in there. Hah. Then once I started doing the research, I realized, it's not as easy as the media made it seem.

But disagree with you on the NBA TopShots. Man, that was a waste of money. I put like $40 into it, and got like $3.83 worth of cards back. But I don't know anything about current basketball, so it's all pretty much worthless to me anyways.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Agree. It's a lot of people like me who saw others making millions of dollars and thought they could get in on it. The thing that drives me nuts though is the amount of people without an original idea. Bored Apes took off, so now there are millions of variations and flat-out steals of them.
    My first posting, I set my price to $2000 and woke the morning looking at my wallet like I should have $2000 more in there. Hah. Then once I started doing the research, I realized, it's not as easy as the media made it seem.
    But disagree with you on the NBA TopShots. Man, that was a waste of money. I put like $40 into it, and got like $3.83 worth of cards back. But I don't know anything about current basketball, so it's all pretty much worthless to me anyways.

I have the exact opposite experience with NBA Top Shot. I put maybe $500 in and have maybe $3500 with of moments. I also won the opening night VIP experience, so that was pretty cool.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I have the exact opposite experience with NBA Top Shot. I put maybe $500 in and have maybe $3500 with of moments. I also won the opening night VIP experience, so that was pretty cool.

I think I got in too late. I was only able to buy like 3 packs, and then I was done. There was nothing available left to buy. And didn't qualify for others. And one that I did qualify, it was too late to redeem.

#72 2 years ago

That seems to be the thing with most NFTs. You almost need to just get lucky. Get in quick and hope they take off.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I thought the same thing about Bitcoin when I first heard about in around 2010. And it's still around 10+ years later.
    Potientially risky. Yes. But disappearing. No.

Let us know when it’s outlasted Bernie Madofff’s scheme.

#74 2 years ago
    have-you-ever-heard-of-nfts-leopold-butters-stotch (resized).pnghave-you-ever-heard-of-nfts-leopold-butters-stotch (resized).png
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-nft-s-hit-the-pinball-hobby/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.