(Topic ID: 289562)

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    pan flute (resized).jpg
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    What-happened-to-The-Weeknds-face-at-Super-Bowl-2021-990x660 (resized).jpg
    slash (resized).jpg
    theweeknd-1-1612561263 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dkjimbo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I love a good "dad rock" pin as much as anyone. Ive owned Metallica, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden and more than one Data East Guns n Roses and have a JJP GNR LE on order. I am 41 years old. Some of my "dream themes" include bands like Def Leppard and Rush.

But I think there is room for more.

The Weeknd.

The music is off-the-charts popular and catchy as all hell even for a "middle aged dad" like most of the pinball buyers. The brand awareness is as high as any artist on earth. But heres where I think it could really shine. The style, the art, the lighting integration, etc could all be every much the concert experience as GNR is today. He is an artist that I think would want to dive into something like this and create an experience the way Slash did. I'd love to see the backglass be designed like a Xenon on total RGB steroids. A ring of lights around the perimeter and a depth to the backglass to create that effect. GNR approach to code would be perfect....do a bunch of stuff, qualify a song of your choosing and have your mind blown with an amazing light show and sound package during multiball.

I think its past time for these pinball companies to move past Dad Rock...but I still want my Rush...

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In about 2 months that weekend song is going to be a distant memory, much like “hey ya” Or “get lucky” and countless other ear worm pop hits before it, destined to be forgotten until it pops up in a Toyota commercial in 6 years.
    Weve been over this a million times; the people buying pinball machines want Tried and true classic rock in their homes, proven by the fact that they are all big sellers.
    Risking an entire production cycle on a modern pop theme makes sense only if you are trying to put your pinball company out of business, which is why people who insist we need a Rihanna Pinball machine are never those who depend on new pinball machine sales to put food on their table.
    Give it up; a modern pop theme isn’t gonna “bring kids into pinball” and it’s not worth the risk when the classic rock pins continue to print Money for pinball companies.
    If pinside ran Stern they’d be out of business in a month.

You couldn't be more wrong about the Weeknd. Check the news - Longest record in history to stay on Billboard top 100? The dude is this generations Prince. period.

But its not about him so don't get lost on that - its about the general theming of music pins. If Stern is willing to "risk a production cycle" on Black Knight SOR, they can most certainly take a risk on a slam dunk globally recognized more modern music theme.

As a middle aged man, I really don't think I am an outlier of having interest in BOTH themes like Rush and Aerosmith as well as something more modern. Stern took a risk on BKSOR...I admire that. They need to do more of that. They can afford to, and with risk comes reward.

Look at Spooky and R+M. Be honest, most of the "Dad rock fan boys" who bought R+M had never watched it before the pin was revealed and only then got interested and binged the show and realized that it actually is pretty great.

My point has nothing to do with "bringing kids to pinball" they are already there (or were at least when the pinball bars were open pre-covid and hopefully come back here soon). My point is that I think the home market is ready for something a little more fresh.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

You just got done ranting about dad rock themes but finish with wanting one of the most dad rock themes. That pretty much explains it.

I closed my post that way to make a joke but again, it lines up with my point. There is room for both! I don't understand the resistance. Companies are out there taking risks on garbage themes no one asked for like Octoberfest, food truck or themes of yesteryear that based on sales, no one really wanted anyway - I am looking at you, RAZA.

R+M was a fresh take and Spooky cashed in. Stern surely had every opportunity at that license but didn't jump at it based on their calculated risk strategy. Didn't hurt them, they still cash in almost every time but it REALLY helped Spooky.

Take risks, attempt to move the needle, that's all I'm saying. More of the same only goes so far.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you think a weekend pin - In 2021 - is gonna sell better than a Rush pin?
    If he’s really “the new prince” then his game can get made in 2045. Until then it seems kind of pointless when classic rock themes always do well.

Its not pointless to diversify. Its not pointless to test new waters. Its not pointless to take risks in business. Your point of view just comes across very status quo and shortsighted. The momentum in the market is creating the perfect storm for more of this risk taking and diversification all the while at the same time STILL pumping out more dad-rock and 80s cartoons or whatever.

What will history say was the success of GNR? Psst...heres a secret...its not because its GNR....its because JJP went all in (and frankly got lucky with the access to Slash and all the assets) on theme integration and blew our minds with new technology - mostly in the lighting department and created something unique and new.

If Stern isn't willing to invest that amount in their R+D and BOM costs then they can similarly achieve something unique and new by targeting a different type of license every now and again.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

I think the issue is that Pop music in general just doesn’t fit well with Pinball.
    I can’t provide a detailed explanation as to why this is, but it just doesn’t FEEL right. Somehow the rhythms, phrasing, and lyrical themes of the typical Pop tune just don’t quite gel with the action in a pinball game.

Are you sure about that? People went nuts for the soundtrack on Total Nuclear Annihilation. People love TRON soundtrack. That type of music can absolutely fit within the framework of a pinball machine very successfully. One of the biggest growing genre's of music today is loosely defined as Synthwave. If you are unfamiliar its essentially electronic music (sometimes instrumental, sometimes with vocals) that takes a great deal of inspiration from 80s Pop and new wave. Its modern and nostalgic at the same time. Some of that would fit just as well with pinball - its not too dissimilar from Daft Punk or the Weeknd or Scott Danesi - which we know can pass the pinball sound package sniff-test of all the dad rock guys who have TNA between their Metallica and Iron Maiden.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Wouldn't Pokemon, Halo, Call of Duty, Manga, Roblox, Lego or Minecraft make for better themes, if you are reaching for younger audiences , versus the Weeknd?

Pokémon? that might actually work. Halo/Call of Duty? no way. Manga? maybe, lots of fanboys middle aged now who love that stuff, not me but a lot are out there. Roblox? hell no. you are going way too young with that one. Lego? maybe...I put that in the same bucket as Hot Wheels...well known brand but does anyone care? meh.....Minecraft? same as roblox...nope. There is just nothing to it, no context, no story, nothing.

#50 3 years ago

all great theme suggestions! We all know pinside loves to pick fights and get hung up on semantics so I appreciate the more thoughtful portions of the dialogue here. Again - not sure how I can be more clear - this isn't about the weeknd. That's just one example out of a million anyone of us could draw from. This is about how the market will continue to evolve and stay relevant.

What happens when all the "top tier" dad rock bands have been done? Do you really just want Stern and others to keep going down the list? I can't wait till I can get a Stryper or RATT pinball.

We already have danced that line....Of all the music pins of the last 10 years, none have been closer to "fringe" than Iron Maiden. I have never seen so many people fall in love with a music pin in spite of its theme. Some people love Iron Maiden the band, I get it. Most people just don't care at best or force themselves to tolerate the music because its a very well designed pin and looks great in a line up. The excellent design and code as well as the enthusiasm around Elwin propped that game up far more than the band and its music. Elwin himself said he wasn't really a fan of the band.

At some point Stern or someone else will hit a foul ball with one of these dad rock bands. Its only a matter of time. A backward looking approach is to just keep going back to that well till its dry. A forward looking approach is to be the first to start drilling a new well. There is a fundamental difference that has absolutely nothing to do with the weeknd or any other specific artist, that is irrelevant to this discussion.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Old men buy pinball machines.
    Old men have never heard of “the weeknd”
    If they saw it written somewhere, they’d think someone made a spelling mistake.

rd

that's true and its not true at the same time.

Yes old dudes buy pinballs...but have you looked around here lately? Or watched any of the streamers or listened to podcasts? Age 40 is the centerline, I am seeing waaay more younger people on location, streaming games, talking on podcasts, buying and selling and flipping games, etc. The average age is 100% going down.

If pinball companies only focus on the "senior" long time customer base they will have problems long term...anyone look at Harley Davidson lately? same story. Unstoppable back in the day...now? ooof.... they never correctly shifted their focus to the changing demographics.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

You may be right, but we have been told for at least 20 years that in 20 years video games will be indistinguishable from reality. We have made much improvement, but still very far away from this.
    Also, I always thought growing up that when I am old enough I would have a bad ass man cave with arcade machines. Once I finally decided to pull the trigger, I couldn't be bothered and got pinball machines. Quite literally I had never touched the flipper of a real pinball machine until I was 37 years old.
    People change when they grow up. While I wont have the same appreciation for the older EM machines that some of you guys do, I very much find the mechanical aspect of pinball what draws me in the most.
    Also, even the BEST VR still SUCKS these days. Its fun for all of 5 mins. I wouldn't even say its out of the beta stage yet, and its been there for many, many years.

What I am about to say is referencing pre-covid of course but if you walked into the locations around here with strong pinball collections in the last few years at any given time, the average age was probably 30. And that crosses from casual players on a blind tinder date to the regulars who are there 4 nights a week to the IFPA tournament players. The young people are already on the boat with us. Not all of them may be buying yet but I continue to be shocked by how many are...the only people claiming this is just still an old-mans game at the old guys.

If young people aren't buying games why does it appear that at least half of the people buying and selling games in my market my age or younger?

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

I think something to remember is for as strong as the pinball industry has gotten over the last few years, no pinball company is in a financial position to survive a total flop.
    People think otherwise but if stern came out with one game no one bought they’d li kg let be on the verge of collapse. If any of the other company’s did... it would be a foregone conclusion.
    So no company can test a current pop artists machine.

I totally disagree - particularly with Stern. Stern has a strong runway to understand demand for their products through their global distributor network who are on the hook for bulk purchases. If a title isn't well received, orders wont be strong and they simply just don't produce many. Aligning supply with demand is a cake-walk for Stern. They produce dozens of machines a day if they want to or can pivot VERY quickly to something else if they need to. Stern doesn't sit on inventory. And aside from the early start on Pro models, I don't believe they pre-build virtually anything that hasn't already been bought and paid for by distributors or their third party studio games like Primus, Heavy Metal, Supreme, etc. I think you aren't giving their executive team enough credit here. If one flop of a product for any consumer goods company (particularly luxury goods like this) sinks you, you have a terrible business model. Figures dont get released obviously but Gomez is on record saying they got killed on BKSOR. He said they likely wont touch original themes again for a long time or ever. Did it hurt their business? Nope...they have never been stronger...was it a temporary disruption? Probably but in the grand scheme of things was no sweat to just cut bait and move on.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

Except if a license cost you 3 times any other license how do you cut bait and stop making a game you’re in the red on.
    Agree with you on one thing. They do understand their market. Which is why there won’t be a weeknd pinball.

Again, respectfully, I think you are off on that. Look at Beatles. Another Gomez quote floating out there - that license cost them 1 million dollars. Why do you think the sales model with distributors was exclusively package deals consisting of all three trim levels? They are smart, they lock in these distributors who end up holding the bag. Stern wouldn't take on a million dollar license agreement if they weren't fully confident they would at least break even and I believe that predicated the sales terms with distributors. NIB games don't sit around at Stern. They are excellent at transferring risk and at the same time, they dangle the carrot. We all remember what was said on the now-removed podcast where Nick sort of spilled the beans on distributor costs for these machines a couple years ago. Its probably changed slightly over time but still similar. The margin for the distributors incentivizes them to take on the risk and make these bulk orders. you win some you lose some. But the house (Stern) always wins in this case. Stern can absolutely afford to take a risk here or there without a tremendous amount of exposure. I suspect we will see it happen sooner than later.

#127 3 years ago

Methos you seem too grumpy for a guy from Wisconsin. I’m born and raised there. Anyway, I’m not “bitching” at anyone or upset with anyone. just looking for more risk taking o behalf of theming and generating some conversation, some of which is more productive and interesting. Go Pack Go!

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from randomdoohickey:

Been to a Family Entertainment Center (FEC) in recent years? Their entire business model is focusing on all ages and it's basically de facto in that business to have a row of like 5-20 pins in the game room. You'll see plenty of little kids playing on the pins too. Sure Dave & Buster's is famously against pins, but they're the exception, not the rule. Even Round1 will have half a dozen pins kicking around.
    That's before even getting into brew pubs and videogame/pin bars where 10+ pins is standard and their core demo being 25-39. If anything, this market sector is continuing to grow both in the absolute sense and the number of pins per location (at least up to COVID hitting).

You are 100% correct. Literally every "barcade" style location in the US that has a legitimate focus on decent pinball (which most do) are loaded with 21-35 year old patrons, many of whom have been bit by the bug and are fantastic players actively participating in tournaments, Belles and Chimes, folks there 5 nights a week dropping quarters, all of it. Most of those may not be home buyers for games (yet) but they sure as hell drive business to the locations (again this is a pre and post COVID discussion so we can just avoid any of that nonsense in the inevitable replies here) but rich old white guys are only part of the demo these days...and a demo trending downward.

When location pinball fires back up in a meaningful way, we will be back to the unboxing parties list all over sterns website showing dozens of events planned largely attended by...you guessed it...21-35 year olds interested in the new machine. When it was Iron Maiden, they weren't showing up because it was Iron Maiden. They showed up because it was new, they may have heard about Keith Elwin (certainly all of the competitive players did) and its fun to play a brand new game. IF someone actually delivered a game with a theme this demo has even a remote interest in (Rick and Morty, Stranger Things and maybe the Marvel stuff are the closest examples in recent memory) it will drive business to these locations based on theme - unlike Iron Maiden. I cant speak for other areas but I can say around here I saw ALOT of the young players constantly wearing headphones while playing all the time - most loathe the themes and the accompanying sound packages. I don't understand that idea, I love the audio queues and want the full game experience, even if its a shit theme I don't care about but a lot of young players choose to drown it out.

Why not flip that around for a change on something that they may actually want and enjoy the full immersive experience all of the rich old white guys are currently soiling their shorts over due to GNR? Anyone watching that Stern tournament on facebook tonight? I bet most watchers aren't the rich old white dudes...its the younger crowd...Stern is making investments already to build that younger market with stuff like this...They are already onto this market shift clearly...its only a matter of time till they test the waters legitimately with a license...music or otherwise.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dkjimbo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-music-licenses-catch-up-with-modern-times?tu=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.