(Topic ID: 289562)

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    pan flute (resized).jpg
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    What-happened-to-The-Weeknds-face-at-Super-Bowl-2021-990x660 (resized).jpg
    slash (resized).jpg
    theweeknd-1-1612561263 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

The dude is this generations Prince. period.

I’m sorry, but no.
    You need to do a deep dive on Prince.

#52 3 years ago
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    #55 3 years ago

It’s funny.
    My mom and dad listened to The Doors, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and a plethora of others.

I never considered any of this “dad rock”, even though it’s mostly well before my time.

We just called it good music.

#128 3 years ago

I have this theory about musicians and bands and what it means to make it “big time”.
    It’s pretty simple really.
    If Weird Al Yankivic has done a parity of one of your songs, then you have made it big time.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from GolfKill:

Pinballs that were done with at-the-time-current music licenses:
    #Capt. Fantastic
    #Bally Kiss
    Nugent
    #DE GnR
    Are there any others?

Dolly Parton

#144 3 years ago

Although the original album is from 1969, Data East The Who’s Tommy is based on the 90s musical rock opera.
    It debuted on Broadway in 1993 and the machine came out in 1994.

It’s not really comparing apples to apples, but it is a music pin that was released in conjunction with a then current music event that was popular and mainstream.

#189 3 years ago

I’m of the opinion that you really want an artist that’s either really far along in their musical career, towards the end of their musical career, or they are deceased and their musical career is over to make a music pin.

I really like music pins and nearly all of the best music pins are not even “my generations” music. These are bands or musicians that have been around for many decades and bridge multiple generations.

When you get a true musician that have been or were around for decades they have a big catalog of songs, artwork, performances, albums and album covers to draw from for inspiration. It’s essential timeless. If you pick a new artists, they may not even be at the peak of their career. They could be at the beginning, middle, or even nearing the end. If you made a pin with their current catalog of music and they went on for another 20 years I don’t really see how that will hold up long term and it would get really dated (regardless of how good the musician is). It would be like if you made a Madonna pin right after Like a Virgin came out. There’s so much material that came out afterwards, that it would just trap it in a certain era and keep it dated.

Getting your own pinball machine isn’t something that artist just get for writing some chart topping songs and being huge for a while. Bands like Metallica, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, AC/AD, Guns N Roses etc. are massive, have been around for decades and transcend generations.
    Look up how many gold records Elvis has for that matter.

Anybody that calls this stuff “dad music” or “old man” music or whatever they think the funny pigeon hole term they want to use really is not a fan of music in general in my opinion. Music isn’t about age groups. Anybody that categorizes it as such knows Jack shit about what real music is. More than half of what I listen to are musicians from before “my time”. I listen to plenary that came out while I was growing up and a young adult, and yes I listen to current “new music” as well. There’s not a single “new artist” I think “deserves” a pin.
    This is something that occurs when you’re a music icon.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Alright, So this thread just turned into bashing other people's music then?
    Or at least the Weeknd....
    Either way I'm in. The Beach Boys suck. All I hear is My Little Duce Coup.... Whine Whine Whine wahhh, Whine Whine.
    and Rush and AC/DC are over-rated.

It did not turn into bashing other people’s music.
    It started out that way from the very first post.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-music-licenses-catch-up-with-modern-times?tu=coindork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.