(Topic ID: 289562)

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    pan flute (resized).jpg
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    What-happened-to-The-Weeknds-face-at-Super-Bowl-2021-990x660 (resized).jpg
    slash (resized).jpg
    theweeknd-1-1612561263 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pauz21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Daft punk
    The Weeknd
    Foo fighters (current and relevant rock and roll)
    I’m in.

I think something to remember is for as strong as the pinball industry has gotten over the last few years, no pinball company is in a financial position to survive a total flop.

People think otherwise but if stern came out with one game no one bought they’d li kg let be on the verge of collapse. If any of the other company’s did... it would be a foregone conclusion.

So no company can test a current pop artists machine.

They need to know it’s tried and true and has the pinball audience. I would put the foo fighters in this category. I believe that machine would sell every bit as well as a Metallica or AC/DC if done right.

For that reason it won’t happen.

Plus if you consider licensing. What’s the cost of obtaining licensing for a classic rock band vs licensing for someone who played the Super Bowl a month ago? And if your R&D costs are triple in that scenario you likely need to sell 4 times the machines to see a successful game. So way more risk. Same return.

And for Daft Punk, many of their best songs feature other artists. So while I don’t believe it would sell, I do think their music would fit well with pinball but licensing is probably a lot for them also due to all those artists being part of the process.

We’d likely see a better chance of a daft punk song being integrated in to a non licensed them than a themed game of their own.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I totally disagree - particularly with Stern. Stern has a strong runway to understand demand for their products through their global distributor network who are on the hook for bulk purchases. If a title isn't well received, orders wont be strong and they simply just don't produce many. Aligning supply with demand is a cake-walk for Stern. They produce dozens of machines a day if they want to or can pivot VERY quickly to something else if they need to. I think you aren't giving their executive team enough credit here. If one flop of a product for any consumer goods company (particularly luxury goods like this) sinks you, you have a terrible business model. Figures dont get released obviously but Gomez is on record saying they got killed on BKSOR. He said they likely wont touch original themes again for a long time or ever. Did it hurt their business? Nope...they have never been stronger...was it a temporary disruption? Probably but in the grand scheme of things was no sweat to just cut bait and move on.

Except if a license cost you 3 times any other license how do you cut bait and stop making a game you’re in the red on.

Agree with you on one thing. They do understand their market. Which is why there won’t be a weeknd pinball.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Foo Fighters.
    Keith design/code.
    Dave Grohl call outs.
    Would be a big seller and hit different demographics.

Agreed

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from randomdoohickey:

It's time for music at least from the 90s club kids scene. Absolutely mainstream things like Daft Punk and RuPaul are straight out of that scene. Things like Deadmau5 gets you up into the 2000s.
    Just remember, if you were rocking out to Nirvana in high school or college, you're pushing 50 today. Remembering Ren & Stimpy or Beavis or Butt-head in their original run puts you in your 40s.
    Speaking of 90s niche being mainstream, even the NBA is using music and imagery straight from Cowboy Bebop for their playoffs opener:
    https://www.cbr.com/cowboy-bebop-mainstream-reference-nba-bleacher-report/

I was in high school in the 90’s. Who the hell is Deadmau5? That’s a band??

I’ll add to that. I also worked in the radio business in the 90’s - 2014. And yet I still don’t know who this is.

I’m willing to bet my collection... that there will not be a Deadmau5 pinball machine. Ever.

Despite the fact the 4 people who listen to them think their pinball machine would be a smash.

(Update. I googled. Not only is this a band I’ve never heard of. They’re from Canada. Don’t get me wrong. I’m from Canada. But 99% of Canadian music... even if it’s great... has never broken in to the states. So your market just got 100’s of millions smaller)

Can we stop this silliness now?

(Cue the ok boomer response).

Ps. Do the math. I’m not a boomer.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

iron maiden & deadmou5 have the same amount of youtube subs ....
    deadmou5 also hosted & DJ'd the MTV awards. He also does many remixes that go mainstream for pop artists in addition to artists into the electronic world. Go into hot topic, his shirts are all over the walls.
    if you aren't aware of him it just proves you are too old for new music, doesn't mean he sux.
    He is very very much out there and popular and has been for approx 10 years or so.
    He makes $400k to 1 million dollars per show when he is booked.
    He is booked weekly (pre covid).
    so yeah, i guess he is known...lol
    get out from under your rocks nay sayers...its 2021.
    60 million views on this video alone, oh but he is so unknown...lol

Awesome. Clearly I’ve been living under a music rock.

How many of those 60 million viewers can tell you what a pinball machine even looks like.

It will never happen

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pauz21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-music-licenses-catch-up-with-modern-times?tu=Pauz21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.