(Topic ID: 289562)

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    pan flute (resized).jpg
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    What-happened-to-The-Weeknds-face-at-Super-Bowl-2021-990x660 (resized).jpg
    slash (resized).jpg
    theweeknd-1-1612561263 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

In about 2 months that weekend song is going to be a distant memory, much like “hey ya” Or “get lucky” and countless other ear worm pop hits before it, destined to be forgotten until it pops up in a Toyota commercial in 6 years.

Weve been over this a million times; the people buying pinball machines want Tried and true classic rock in their homes, proven by the fact that they are all big sellers.

Risking an entire production cycle on a modern pop theme makes sense only if you are trying to put your pinball company out of business, which is why people who insist we need a Rihanna Pinball machine are never those who depend on new pinball machine sales to put food on their table.

Give it up; a modern pop theme isn’t gonna “bring kids into pinball” and it’s not worth the risk when the classic rock pins continue to print Money for pinball companies.

If pinside ran Stern they’d be out of business in a month.

#6 3 years ago

So you think a weekend pin - In 2021 - is gonna sell better than a Rush pin?

If he’s really “the new prince” then his game can get made in 2045. Until then it seems kind of pointless when classic rock themes always do well.

#9 3 years ago

You sound like a dynamic young executive with a mastery of buzzwords and I encourage you to start your own pinball company and move the needle with Cardi B pinball machines that nobody will buy.

You gotta take risks! Why just keep taking in piles of cash with can’t miss classic rock themes?

Also rick and morty for some reason.

#16 3 years ago

The most obnoxious fucking thing about every pinball tournament over the last 3 years has been a TNA in the bank at top volume pumping that never ending thumping sound track for three days.

Like, enough already. Can we please start keeping that game to normal fucking volumes?

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

We get it, you're old. Go sit in your rocker and tell kids to get off your lawn.

Blasting TNA at obnoxious volume does not make you young nor hip. I don’t think most TNA owners understand that.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

The Weeknd is fuckin shit. Modern music basically stinks. Sorry but way to many classic bands still to go before then try anything new and thank sweet innocent baby Jesus for that.
    Slayer
    Motorhead
    Sabbath
    The Priest
    Deep Purple

Exactly. To repeat a tired point “I’d buy a Motörhead, sabbath or priest pin, LE, sight unseen.”

Who the fuck is gonna say that about a weekend or Bunny pin?

Nobody. On earth. The consumer base simply doesn’t mix and never will.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Wouldn't Pokemon, Halo, Call of Duty, Manga, Roblox, Lego or Minecraft make for better themes, if you are reaching for younger audiences , versus the Weeknd?

No because The Weekend is the new prince.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

you are preaching to the wrong age demo on gender on here . It's pointless. I am with you though. i know plenty of people in their 20's who have money to buy pins and have their own collections. also, us operators also appreciate titles geared towards people age 12 to 38 (those who spend most on location) pinball isn't just for guys over 50. I had 4 games by the time i was 15 that i bought myself. Some people do actually work young.
    GOOD NEWS THOUGH.
    from what i gather, One of the current players is making a hip hop based pin soon. Finally---
    so i guess we shall see what happens.

Can’t wait!

My guess is it will be the beastie boys, snoop, or someone else who has been around for decades. Thus - more or less - proving our point. It’s just dad rock you can bob your head to that is or will soon be in the rock n roll hall of fame with the rest of the pinball themes.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

NWA; I'll take it.

Fuck yeah!

Honestly that dumb explicit lyrics tag would look awesome on a translite.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I'm no fan of rap, but would like to see an NWA. I think they missed the window and should have pushed it out with the Straight out of Compton movie.

As ancient and even quaint as NWA may seem today, it's would still be tough for a mainstream pinball company to push an act whose signature song is "Fuck tha Police."

#78 3 years ago

Wow. If there was a market for it they would make it. Its nice to think there's gonna be a whole new generation of pinheads, but there isn't. Ok. That's the bottom line. We are a couple of decades away from video games being indistinguishable from reality and VR killing most things actually mechanical. I'll still buying pinball machines so it isn't going away anytime soon but young people aren't buying games.

So it's one of these threads again? We are dangerously close to price bubble stuff!

Anyway, I agree. Young people aren't buying games. However in 10-20 years when they are old people they very may will. Just like the "young people" invoked in that exact argument 20 years ago are now old and buying games.

Go check the RGP archives. Pinball collectors are all supposed to be 70 years old now, and their collections are supposed to be worthless. This was how it was predicted, "just like the Jukebox hobby."

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Also, I always thought growing up that when I am old enough I would have a bad ass man cave with arcade machines. Once I finally decided to pull the trigger, I couldn't be bothered and got pinball machines. Quite literally I had never touched the flipper of a real pinball machine until I was 37 years old.

Exactly. This is what the "The industry needs to appeal to the kids!" crowd will never get.

In the 21st century, pinball is no longer for kids. Kids don't leave the house. And when they do they aren't interested in something as dull as pinball. It simply doesn't have any appeal to them.

When those over 40 here were kids, there was literally NOTHING ELSE TO DO on some days besides go out and hit the arcade. That's where the fun was.

That's ancient, irrelevant history. Pinball does not need to appeal to kids, nor will that work. They need to appeal to people in their 20s and 30s who go to bars, and might discover pinball there. That's exactly what's been happening - at least in NYC - for the past 10 years or so. And Plenty of those folks, as they get older, are buying pinball machines, now that they have their own apartments and can afford them. I know plenty of these cases, first hand. In some cases, I've been the one to sell them their first games.

Pinball isn't for kids any more, it's for grownups, and that's why Stern is slaughtering it in the licensing department.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

ahhh right those one-hit-wonders, Outkast and Daft Punk....

I did not call them one hit wonders.

Their hits - pop hits, that age quickly and disappear - do not possess the same timeless quality as classic rock, and wouldn't help sell pinball machines.

When was the last time you voluntarily cued up "Hey Ya?"

I guarantee you half this board spun Back in Black at least once in the past year. And every year.

#95 3 years ago

Its nice how some of u guys really believe pinball is gonna survive us. I hope it does but extremely unlikely. Its thriving right now cause us arcade old timers have money to buy pins and relive our child hood. Look at the themes, look at the cost. It dies with us. But ok.

Exact same thing they were saying 20 years ago.

#97 3 years ago

Ok, it's no secret I'm old and unhip but is that guy with the bandages on his face The Weekend, or is he the singer for the band called The Weekend?

Also is it a band or just a mac playing pre-recorded tracks?

I'll admit that one song in super catchy but as I've said several times, I expect it to have the shelf life of "All About the Bass"

#101 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

how about making a machine that appeals to females as well for once? Why all the caucasian over 55 male audience music? its not Dad rock, its now grandpa rock.
    average age new dad is 28 years old. . that is being born in 1993. So technically "dad" rock or music starts from people being born from 1993.
    feel old yet?
    its 2021. lets stop worrying about bands from 50 years ago.
    im sorry but if you cant see the actual facts of most popular music the last 20 years its urban/dance based, no matter what your background is.
    super stars who have the most youtube followers, the most hits over the past 15 years, the most overall popularity with hit after hit and still relevant today are as follows:
    Eminem
    drake
    Taylor swift
    Post Malone
    ariana grande
    Lady Gaga
    rihanna
    nicki minaj
    Usher
    chris Brown
    Lil wayne
    Migos
    travis Scott
    These arent one hit wonders or has beens, thats who are relevant and have been in the worlds music eyes like it or not for many many years.
    Their numbers compared to any old rock group are larger.
    These are facts, not opinions.
    embrace the current times. Any of these pins would out earn any old rock pin on location and sell in new markets galore as far as homes are concerned.

the fact that you think Eminem and CHris Brown "appeals to women" makes me wonder about your supposed finger on the pulse on the youth and female consumers of the day. Plenty of women in pinball find him vile for any number of reasons (check out Greg Poverelli's recent facebook thread!)

I mean..CHRIS BROWN? The guy who beat your beloved Rhianna into a pulp?

Maybe leave the theme choices to the pros, the ones who actually rely on pinball to put dinner on their tables. It's been stated a million times - the old band themes sell. Always. This is "a fact and not an opinion." Period. So why fuck with the formula?

I've yet to hear a good reason. Rock themes sell like hotcakes yet you want to change the recipe. Some nebulous, vague claim that you could "capture the youth market" or "broaden the appeal" of pinball rings super hollow. WHy the fuck do they need to broaden the appeal of pinball? Have you been paying attention? These manufacturers are backlogged a year yet you think now's time to bet the farm on a Lil' Wayne pinball machine? FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY?!?! Pinball's appeal is fuckin broad enough, they could start limiting the appeal a little bit and that would be ok by me at this point.

I'm with ya on the hip hop - it's time. THere's enough quality oldies hip-hop acts that they could do and actually sell some games. To old people. Snoop, Beasties, RUNDMC, I'm looking in your direction...We all know SNoop will do basically ANYTHING for a buck so getting him to do voice calls would probably be both easy and hilarious.

#103 3 years ago

Still laughing at the idea that the reaction from the pinball community would be anything but horrific over a CHris Brown pin.

Can you fucking imagine the shit they would catch?

Maybe you forgot what he did to Rhianna's face. I'd refresh your memory but I don't want to look at any of those pics again.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Maybe true, but these women sure as shit aren't putting quarters in a pinball machine.

Spinner's theory - posted 9,891 times in various facebook threads - is that suddenly all these twentysomething clubgoers would become pinball fanatics if only there were a Drake pinball machine.

It's an interesting idea but I just don't think we are gonna be able to find out anytime soon, unless Silver Spinner Pinball Manufacturing Inc. becomes a reality. Nobody's gonna want to take the chance and stop printing money with the rock themes.

Believe me, I'd love to see it. And I sincerely do believe it's time for that oldies hip hop theme, let's see how that does first and we can go from there!

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from GolfKill:

Pinballs that were done with at-the-time-current music licenses:
    #Capt. Fantastic
    #Bally Kiss
    Nugent
    #DE GnR
    Are there any others?

Dolly Parton

Rolling Stones 1979 (Stones were in the middle of a string of #1 albums and hit singles at the time and were still "relevant.")

Wizard kinda counts, as the WHo were still a big deal in the late 1970s and this game is Who-related.

THe Entertainer - Roy clark when Hee Haw was still a big deal

Beat Time - kinda counts as it's a bootleg Beatles game in the late 60s.

#154 3 years ago

Somebody needs to tell The Weekend that there’s no crying in rock n roll

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56370876
    The Weeknd 'will no longer submit music to Grammy Awards' after snub

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from JWP72:

Actually, Deadmau5 is one guy. He is a massively successful artist in the dance music industry. MASSIVELY successful. Also...he is a HUGE gamer and I would bet that a Deadmau5 pinball machine would be incredible because I think he would give a sh*t about the machine and his input would be awesome.

And once again, who is gonna buy it?

CLub kids don't buy pinball machines. Gamers don't buy pinball machines. I would consider it but only because he likes picking fights with Madonna.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

Rush, Queen, those are deserving bands, not this fake auto tune bs without ACTUAL instruments
    I'm gen x, kid In the 80's teen during the 90's
    Nobody actually sings now, nobody writes coherent lyrics anymore
    So "Dad Rock" isn't going to get less popular.
    My kids and most of their friends are listening to classic Rock on their own...

That’s what the “how about music for kids?!” Brigade doesn’t understand.

Thanks to YouTube, memes, movies, advertisements, the internet in general, a new audience discovers the classic stuff all the time, year round. Check out any classic rock performance or video on YouTube and half the comments are from kids saying “I’m 14 and today’s music sucks and nobody will ever equal Freddie Mercury” or “I was born in the wrong decade” etc etc.

A classic rock song - or even a classic deep cut - shows up in a commercial or memorable movie scene and thousands of people Flock to YouTube to find out more about the song and the act.

This stuff has an eternal life now, it’s evergreen. Nostalgia no longer runs In cycles, it’s both instantaneous and forever. And there’s no denying the cream will always continue to rise to the top. The stones, Floyd, acdc, sabbath, queen, Beatles etc etc etc this shit is not going anywhere. These acts are slowly dying off but their legacy and their ability to generate $ isn’t going anywhere.

Ever. It’s just too fuckin good to go away or not be rediscovered by generation after generation.

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Dave and Busters are phasing pins back into their locations. I think it’s only Sterns at the moment but pinball is back.

Those poor games are always broken wrecks. I really think those establishments are better off without pinball.

#178 3 years ago

After all this bullshit the next game will be rush or sabbath or what have you and it’ll sell for years.

These “debates” are pointless. The guys who make Pinball machines for a living know where their bread is buttered.

Can’t wait for the sabbath or Floyd pin. It’s gotta happen soon!!

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I don't know if I'd go that far. The Weeknd is certainly talented. Prince was a once in a lifetime kind of artist though ... he could do anything (well, almost anything ... his movies were kinda meh except for Purple Rain ). It'd certainly be worth revisiting this conversation in 10 more years .
    I certainly see how The Weeknd's ambiance would work in a pinball machine. I flat out don't know if it'd translate into sales though. He certainly nails that 80s sound and add his own style to it.
    I remember back in the 80s when my dad of all people couldn't stop talking about Prince. I rolled my eyes of course . I was too into heavy metal ... and I had absolutely no idea Price was a genuine, actual musician ... I figured he was "yet another pop star". My dad was my age then (late 40s). I haven't heard anyone my age raving about The Weeknd just yet. I know that's anecdotal, but Prince was a legit phenomena that transcended all generations ... he was *that* frigging good .
    That settles it ... we need a Prince pinball machine!!!

Only problem - the old timers claim “purple machines don’t sell!”

#185 3 years ago

Ok I was about to say after enduring an hour of the Grammys I think silver spinner is nuttier than ever thinking a modern pop game would do anything but put a pinball company out of business.

But then, holy shit!!

Sign me up for a silksonics pinball machine ASAP!!!!

Fuck yeah!! Polyester Trim LE please!

#188 3 years ago

It is pretty ridiculous that Weekend song (you know the one that's been inescapable for a year) wasn't nominated for any Grammys. Whatever you think of modern pop that was easily one of the songs of the year; the fact that old people like me who would plunk down a Deep Purple LE deposit sight unseen know the song proves it should have been in the mix.

But it's also pretty funny Mr. End didn't have any trouble with the lack of transparency at the Grammies until he didn't get nommed for anything. Way to make a stand!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-music-licenses-catch-up-with-modern-times?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.