(Topic ID: 289562)

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    pan flute (resized).jpg
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    What-happened-to-The-Weeknds-face-at-Super-Bowl-2021-990x660 (resized).jpg
    slash (resized).jpg
    theweeknd-1-1612561263 (resized).jpg

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 years ago

It's time for music at least from the 90s club kids scene. Absolutely mainstream things like Daft Punk and RuPaul are straight out of that scene. Things like Deadmau5 gets you up into the 2000s.

Just remember, if you were rocking out to Nirvana in high school or college, you're pushing 50 today. Remembering Ren & Stimpy or Beavis or Butt-head in their original run puts you in your 40s.

Speaking of 90s niche being mainstream, even the NBA is using music and imagery straight from Cowboy Bebop for their playoffs opener:
    https://www.cbr.com/cowboy-bebop-mainstream-reference-nba-bleacher-report/

#152 3 years ago

Rob Zombie has reportedly been hired by Universal Pictures to direct a new movie based on the classic comedy series The Munsters.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from randomdoohickey:

It's time for music at least from the 90s club kids scene. Absolutely mainstream things like Daft Punk and RuPaul are straight out of that scene. Things like Deadmau5 gets you up into the 2000s.
    Just remember, if you were rocking out to Nirvana in high school or college, you're pushing 50 today. Remembering Ren & Stimpy or Beavis or Butt-head in their original run puts you in your 40s.
    Speaking of 90s niche being mainstream, even the NBA is using music and imagery straight from Cowboy Bebop for their playoffs opener:

I was in high school in the 90’s. Who the hell is Deadmau5? That’s a band??

I’ll add to that. I also worked in the radio business in the 90’s - 2014. And yet I still don’t know who this is.

I’m willing to bet my collection... that there will not be a Deadmau5 pinball machine. Ever.

Despite the fact the 4 people who listen to them think their pinball machine would be a smash.

(Update. I googled. Not only is this a band I’ve never heard of. They’re from Canada. Don’t get me wrong. I’m from Canada. But 99% of Canadian music... even if it’s great... has never broken in to the states. So your market just got 100’s of millions smaller)

Can we stop this silliness now?

(Cue the ok boomer response).

Ps. Do the math. I’m not a boomer.

#154 3 years ago

Somebody needs to tell The Weekend that there’s no crying in rock n roll

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56370876
    The Weeknd 'will no longer submit music to Grammy Awards' after snub

#155 3 years ago

when your pushing 50 is when your music will be available ,hang in there we did

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

when your pushing 50 is when your music will be available ,hang in there we did

...and when he gets to into his 50's, he'll hate the new 20ish year old's music and hopes it never makes it into a pin.

#157 3 years ago

Give me a Touhou Project pin. Day 1 buy for me.
    Or an Infected Mushroom Pin.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

I was in high school in the 90’s. Who the hell is Deadmau5? That’s a band??
    I’ll add to that. I also worked in the radio business in the 90’s - 2014. And yet I still don’t know who this is.
    I’m willing to bet my collection... that there will not be a Deadmau5 pinball machine. Ever.
    Despite the fact the 4 people who listen to them think their pinball machine would be a smash.
    (Update. I googled. Not only is this a band I’ve never heard of. They’re from Canada. Don’t get me wrong. I’m from Canada. But 99% of Canadian music... even if it’s great... has never broken in to the states. So your market just got 100’s of millions smaller)
    Can we stop this silliness now?
    (Cue the ok boomer response).
    Ps. Do the math. I’m not a boomer.

Actually, Deadmau5 is one guy. He is a massively successful artist in the dance music industry. MASSIVELY successful. Also...he is a HUGE gamer and I would bet that a Deadmau5 pinball machine would be incredible because I think he would give a sh*t about the machine and his input would be awesome.

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from JWP72:

Actually, Deadmau5 is one guy. He is a massively successful artist in the dance music industry. MASSIVELY successful. Also...he is a HUGE gamer and I would bet that a Deadmau5 pinball machine would be incredible because I think he would give a sh*t about the machine and his input would be awesome.

And once again, who is gonna buy it?

CLub kids don't buy pinball machines. Gamers don't buy pinball machines. I would consider it but only because he likes picking fights with Madonna.

#160 3 years ago

Rush, Queen, those are deserving bands, not this fake auto tune bs without ACTUAL instruments

I'm gen x, kid In the 80's teen during the 90's

Nobody actually sings now, nobody writes coherent lyrics anymore

So "Dad Rock" isn't going to get less popular.

My kids and most of their friends are listening to classic Rock on their own...

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from JWP72:

And I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes.

Stern, what are you waiting for???

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from JWP72:

DeadMau5 NOOO! Tomorrowland Yes! David Guetta doing the soundtrack would be to much for most this crowd though...

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

Rush, Queen, those are deserving bands, not this fake auto tune bs without ACTUAL instruments
    I'm gen x, kid In the 80's teen during the 90's
    Nobody actually sings now, nobody writes coherent lyrics anymore
    So "Dad Rock" isn't going to get less popular.
    My kids and most of their friends are listening to classic Rock on their own...

That’s what the “how about music for kids?!” Brigade doesn’t understand.

Thanks to YouTube, memes, movies, advertisements, the internet in general, a new audience discovers the classic stuff all the time, year round. Check out any classic rock performance or video on YouTube and half the comments are from kids saying “I’m 14 and today’s music sucks and nobody will ever equal Freddie Mercury” or “I was born in the wrong decade” etc etc.

A classic rock song - or even a classic deep cut - shows up in a commercial or memorable movie scene and thousands of people Flock to YouTube to find out more about the song and the act.

This stuff has an eternal life now, it’s evergreen. Nostalgia no longer runs In cycles, it’s both instantaneous and forever. And there’s no denying the cream will always continue to rise to the top. The stones, Floyd, acdc, sabbath, queen, Beatles etc etc etc this shit is not going anywhere. These acts are slowly dying off but their legacy and their ability to generate $ isn’t going anywhere.

Ever. It’s just too fuckin good to go away or not be rediscovered by generation after generation.

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s what the “how about music for kids?!” Brigade doesn’t understand.
    Thanks to YouTube, memes, movies, advertisements, the internet in general, a new audience discovers the classic stuff all the time, year round. Check out any classic rock performance or video on YouTube and half the comments are from kids saying “I’m 14 and today’s music sucks and nobody will ever equal Freddie Mercury” or “I was born in the wrong decade” etc etc.
    A classic rock song - or even a classic deep cut - shows up in a commercial or memorable movie scene and thousands of people Flock to YouTube to find out more about the song and the act.
    This stuff has an eternal life now, it’s evergreen. Nostalgia no longer runs In cycles, it’s both instantaneous and forever. And there’s no denying the cream will always continue to rise to the top. The stones, Floyd, acdc, sabbath, queen, Beatles etc etc etc this shit is not going anywhere. These acts are slowly dying off but their legacy and their ability to generate $ isn’t going anywhere.
    Ever. It’s just too fuckin good to go away or not be rediscovered by generation after generation.

To add to your point

Freddie Mercury died in 1992, the world watched his tribute concert(which was in itself a mega concert of whose who) ....did Queen become a footnote?.. .hell no!

Just as popular as ever

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And once again, who is gonna buy it?
    CLub kids don't buy pinball machines. Gamers don't buy pinball machines. I would consider it but only because he likes picking fights with Madonna.

Apparently all it takes to sell a music pin is a very well integrated theme with an incredible light show, a nice art package and good music.

#166 3 years ago

I'm sorry, but when I hear people say that music sucks now I think they are either not looking hard enough or are just being close minded.

There is so much music out there and so many ways to find it.... right now I've been listening to Local Natives who have a very Fleetwood Mac sound in my opinion.

And yes... I think Deadmau5 is amazing. 4x4=12 is my favorite album of his.... but I understand it's not for everyone.

Would I buy a Deadmau5, Daft Punk, or Weeknd Pinball? No. but that's simply because I can not afford a new game, and by the way life is going I never will (And that is the same for most of my friends). I was priced out of this hobby years ago.
    But would I dump Dollars after Dollars into those machines if they were on location. Yes, Absolutely!

What would be great but will never happen is if someone made a pin that had a neutral music theme, like a concert or a recording studio or something like that, where you could Bluetooth music from your phone into it. Then the machine could add in the sound effects and call outs over it or something. Then everyone could have the music theme pin they wanted.

Also if anyone is looking for some suggestions on some good newer music I highly recommend Metric (1998 to present) and Phantogram (2007 to present). but again, I understand it's not for everyone.

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpgguy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    #167 3 years ago

iron maiden & deadmou5 have the same amount of youtube subs ....

deadmou5 also hosted & DJ'd the MTV awards. He also does many remixes that go mainstream for pop artists in addition to artists into the electronic world. Go into hot topic, his shirts are all over the walls.
    if you aren't aware of him it just proves you are too old for new music, doesn't mean he sux.
    He is very very much out there and popular and has been for approx 10 years or so.

He makes $400k to 1 million dollars per show when he is booked.
    He is booked weekly (pre covid).
    so yeah, i guess he is known...lol
    get out from under your rocks nay sayers...its 2021.

60 million views on this video alone, oh but he is so unknown...lol

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

iron maiden & deadmou5 have the same amount of youtube subs ....
    deadmou5 also hosted & DJ'd the MTV awards. He also does many remixes that go mainstream for pop artists in addition to artists into the electronic world. Go into hot topic, his shirts are all over the walls.
    if you aren't aware of him it just proves you are too old for new music, doesn't mean he sux.
    He is very very much out there and popular and has been for approx 10 years or so.
    He makes $400k to 1 million dollars per show when he is booked.
    He is booked weekly (pre covid).
    so yeah, i guess he is known...lol
    get out from under your rocks nay sayers...its 2021.
    60 million views on this video alone, oh but he is so unknown...lol

Awesome. Clearly I’ve been living under a music rock.

How many of those 60 million viewers can tell you what a pinball machine even looks like.

It will never happen

#169 3 years ago

10 years ago I added the first music jukebox to a pinball game. I added songs by ACDC, Metallica and Black Sabbath to my version of Stern's Iron Man. I thought it would be cool to choose your own music while you play pinball. This idea took off...big time, as I knew it would. But for me, this is still the best way to add your favourite tunes to a pinball game. Not a dedicated table based on a single boring band, but a collection of great music in one game.

All Stern need to do is create a generic actioned themed pinball game, kinda like Black Knight SOR, and program a jukebox into the game, so players can easily add their own FULL music tracks, with a simple upload. Add the option to switch tracks at anytime, my preferred method is just holding up both flippers for 3 seconds, and you'll have your own personalized pinball experience.

Your favourite band will never get their own pinball machine, so stop dreaming. This is the only chance you'll have of combining your favourite tunes with your favourite hobby.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

How many of those 60 million viewers can tell you what a pinball machine even looks like.

Been to a Family Entertainment Center (FEC) in recent years? Their entire business model is focusing on all ages and it's basically de facto in that business to have a row of like 5-20 pins in the game room. You'll see plenty of little kids playing on the pins too. Sure Dave & Buster's is famously against pins, but they're the exception, not the rule. Even Round1 will have half a dozen pins kicking around.

That's before even getting into brew pubs and videogame/pin bars where 10+ pins is standard and their core demo being 25-39. If anything, this market sector is continuing to grow both in the absolute sense and the number of pins per location (at least up to COVID hitting).

#171 3 years ago

Been to a Family Entertainment Center (FEC) in recent years? Their entire business model is focusing on all ages and it's basically de facto in that business to have a row of like 5-20 pins in the game room. You'll see plenty of little kids playing on the pins too. Sure Dave & Buster's is famously against pins, but they're the exception, not the rule. Even Round1 will have half a dozen pins kicking around.
    That's before even getting into brew pubs and videogame/pin bars where 10+ pins is standard and their core demo being 25-39. If anything, this market sector is continuing to grow both in the absolute sense and the number of pins per location (at least up to COVID hitting).

Dave and Busters are phasing pins back into their locations. I think it’s only Sterns at the moment but pinball is back.

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Dave and Busters are phasing pins back into their locations. I think it’s only Sterns at the moment but pinball is back.

Those poor games are always broken wrecks. I really think those establishments are better off without pinball.

#173 3 years ago

You are 100% correct. Literally every "barcade" style location in the US that has a legitimate focus on decent pinball (which most do) are loaded with 21-35 year old patrons, many of whom have been bit by the bug and are fantastic players actively participating in tournaments, Belles and Chimes, folks there 5 nights a week dropping quarters, all of it. Most of those may not be home buyers for games (yet) but they sure as hell drive business to the locations (again this is a pre and post COVID discussion so we can just avoid any of that nonsense in the inevitable replies here) but rich old white guys are only part of the demo these days...and a demo trending downward.

When location pinball fires back up in a meaningful way, we will be back to the unboxing parties list all over sterns website showing dozens of events planned largely attended by...you guessed it...21-35 year olds interested in the new machine. When it was Iron Maiden, they weren't showing up because it was Iron Maiden. They showed up because it was new, they may have heard about Keith Elwin (certainly all of the competitive players did) and its fun to play a brand new game. IF someone actually delivered a game with a theme this demo has even a remote interest in (Rick and Morty, Stranger Things and maybe the Marvel stuff are the closest examples in recent memory) it will drive business to these locations based on theme - unlike Iron Maiden. I cant speak for other areas but I can say around here I saw ALOT of the young players constantly wearing headphones while playing all the time - most loathe the themes and the accompanying sound packages. I don't understand that idea, I love the audio queues and want the full game experience, even if its a shit theme I don't care about but a lot of young players choose to drown it out.

Why not flip that around for a change on something that they may actually want and enjoy the full immersive experience all of the rich old white guys are currently soiling their shorts over due to GNR? Anyone watching that Stern tournament on facebook tonight? I bet most watchers aren't the rich old white dudes...its the younger crowd...Stern is making investments already to build that younger market with stuff like this...They are already onto this market shift clearly...its only a matter of time till they test the waters legitimately with a license...music or otherwise.

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Those poor games are always broken wrecks. I really think those establishments are better off without pinball.

I’ve only gone a couple times when my kids were young but I really grew to appreciate the coin op business and the durability of the games because it was tons of greasy/sticky kids and greasy/drunk adults beating the living fuck out of all the games for a couple of redemption tickets.

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

I'm sorry, but when I hear people say that music sucks now I think they are either not looking hard enough or are just being close minded.
    There is so much music out there and so many ways to find it.... right now I've been listening to Local Natives who have a very Fleetwood Mac sound in my opinion.
    And yes... I think Deadmau5 is amazing. 4x4=12 is my favorite album of his.... but I understand it's not for everyone.
    Would I buy a Deadmau5, Daft Punk, or Weeknd Pinball? No. but that's simply because I can not afford a new game, and by the way life is going I never will (And that is the same for most of my friends). I was priced out of this hobby years ago.
    But would I dump Dollars after Dollars into those machines if they were on location. Yes, Absolutely!
    What would be great but will never happen is if someone made a pin that had a neutral music theme, like a concert or a recording studio or something like that, where you could Bluetooth music from your phone into it. Then the machine could add in the sound effects and call outs over it or something. Then everyone could have the music theme pin they wanted.
    Also if anyone is looking for some suggestions on some good newer music I highly recommend Metric (1998 to present) and Phantogram (2007 to present). but again, I understand it's not for everyone.

When a computer cleans up

Quoted from Dkjimbo:

You are 100% correct. Literally every "barcade" style location in the US that has a legitimate focus on decent pinball (which most do) are loaded with 21-35 year old patrons, many of whom have been bit by the bug and are fantastic players actively participating in tournaments, Belles and Chimes, folks there 5 nights a week dropping quarters, all of it. Most of those may not be home buyers for games (yet) but they sure as hell drive business to the locations (again this is a pre and post COVID discussion so we can just avoid any of that nonsense in the inevitable replies here) but rich old white guys are only part of the demo these days...and a demo trending downward.
    When location pinball fires back up in a meaningful way, we will be back to the unboxing parties list all over sterns website showing dozens of events planned largely attended by...you guessed it...21-35 year olds interested in the new machine. When it was Iron Maiden, they weren't showing up because it was Iron Maiden. They showed up because it was new, they may have heard about Keith Elwin (certainly all of the competitive players did) and its fun to play a brand new game. IF someone actually delivered a game with a theme this demo has even a remote interest in (Rick and Morty, Stranger Things and maybe the Marvel stuff are the closest examples in recent memory) it will drive business to these locations based on theme - unlike Iron Maiden. I cant speak for other areas but I can say around here I saw ALOT of the young players constantly wearing headphones while playing all the time - most loathe the themes and the accompanying sound packages. I don't understand that idea, I love the audio queues and want the full game experience, even if its a shit theme I don't care about but a lot of young players choose to drown it out.
    Why not flip that around for a change on something that they may actually want and enjoy the full immersive experience all of the rich old white guys are currently soiling their shorts over due to GNR? Anyone watching that Stern tournament on facebook tonight? I bet most watchers aren't the rich old white dudes...its the younger crowd...Stern is making investments already to build that younger market with stuff like this...They are already onto this market shift clearly...its only a matter of time till they test the waters legitimately with a license...music or otherwise.

*Random* modern artist will not get a pin ...won't happen ANYtime soon....why?

Because there all alike .

Every band with a pin is iconic, .
    unique In some way

Today's "music" is bland, boring, unoriginal or plain trash adlibs

There I said it

#176 3 years ago

There are some current bands that I really like. I also really like Kurt Vile's music too. He's another modern artist. So I wont entirely say todays music sucks, but I say most popular music today is pretty terrible. It has no substance and very very poor lyrics. It sounds artificial and bland.

Plus now that I think about it, not since the 90s could you hear diverse acts on a radio "todays hits" station. Where were at now is this pop/hip hop hybrid mess or the occasional gimmick song that is only popular for a season.

#177 3 years ago

I got Stern's next guaranteed moneymaking hit theme right here:

parental advisory: explicit lyrics

#178 3 years ago

After all this bullshit the next game will be rush or sabbath or what have you and it’ll sell for years.

These “debates” are pointless. The guys who make Pinball machines for a living know where their bread is buttered.

Can’t wait for the sabbath or Floyd pin. It’s gotta happen soon!!

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Daft punk
    The Weeknd
    Foo fighters (current and relevant rock and roll)
    I’m in.

A Foo Fighters pin would totally sell. It's the perfect blend of classic and contemporary.

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

The dude is this generations Prince. period.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The Weeknd is certainly talented. Prince was a once in a lifetime kind of artist though ... he could do anything (well, almost anything ... his movies were kinda meh except for Purple Rain ). It'd certainly be worth revisiting this conversation in 10 more years .

I certainly see how The Weeknd's ambiance would work in a pinball machine. I flat out don't know if it'd translate into sales though. He certainly nails that 80s sound and add his own style to it.

I remember back in the 80s when my dad of all people couldn't stop talking about Prince. I rolled my eyes of course . I was too into heavy metal ... and I had absolutely no idea Price was a genuine, actual musician ... I figured he was "yet another pop star". My dad was my age then (late 40s). I haven't heard anyone my age raving about The Weeknd just yet. I know that's anecdotal, but Prince was a legit phenomena that transcended all generations ... he was *that* frigging good .

That settles it ... we need a Prince pinball machine!!!

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I don't know if I'd go that far. The Weeknd is certainly talented. Prince was a once in a lifetime kind of artist though ... he could do anything (well, almost anything ... his movies were kinda meh except for Purple Rain ). It'd certainly be worth revisiting this conversation in 10 more years .
    I certainly see how The Weeknd's ambiance would work in a pinball machine. I flat out don't know if it'd translate into sales though. He certainly nails that 80s sound and add his own style to it.
    I remember back in the 80s when my dad of all people couldn't stop talking about Prince. I rolled my eyes of course . I was too into heavy metal ... and I had absolutely no idea Price was a genuine, actual musician ... I figured he was "yet another pop star". My dad was my age then (late 40s). I haven't heard anyone my age raving about The Weeknd just yet. I know that's anecdotal, but Prince was a legit phenomena that transcended all generations ... he was *that* frigging good .
    That settles it ... we need a Prince pinball machine!!!

Only problem - the old timers claim “purple machines don’t sell!”

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Given how many people here use pinball browser to completely replace all the music on a pin, I think this is an interesting idea, but what plays if you don’t load anything? Maybe it’s user-select or Spotify... choose an artist and it grabs songs and assets to deliver while playing. Choose a channel and it plays songs and assets of an era or genre...choose random and you get what you get....and it defaults the the location’s preference if you don’t choose anything.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

But I think there is room for more.
    The Weeknd.
    The music is off-the-charts popular and catchy as all hell even for a "middle aged dad" like most of the pinball buyers. The brand awareness is as high as any artist on earth. But heres where I think it could really shine. The style, the art, the lighting integration, etc could all be every much the concert experience as GNR is today. He is an artist that I think would want to dive into something like this and create an experience the way Slash did. I'd love to see the backglass be designed like a Xenon on total RGB steroids.

I had never heard of Weeknd. Just listened to a few songs and I just can't imagine a Weeknd pinball machine ever being made.

#184 3 years ago

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

When 16 years olds start buying NIB pinball machines.

#185 3 years ago

Ok I was about to say after enduring an hour of the Grammys I think silver spinner is nuttier than ever thinking a modern pop game would do anything but put a pinball company out of business.

But then, holy shit!!

Sign me up for a silksonics pinball machine ASAP!!!!

Fuck yeah!! Polyester Trim LE please!

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only problem - the old timers claim “purple machines don’t sell!”

uhh TNA?

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I love a good "dad rock" pin as much as anyone. Ive owned Metallica, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden and more than one Data East Guns n Roses and have a JJP GNR LE on order. I am 41 years old. Some of my "dream themes" include bands like Def Leppard and Rush.
    But I think there is room for more.
    The Weeknd.
    The music is off-the-charts popular and catchy as all hell even for a "middle aged dad" like most of the pinball buyers. The brand awareness is as high as any artist on earth. But heres where I think it could really shine. The style, the art, the lighting integration, etc could all be every much the concert experience as GNR is today. He is an artist that I think would want to dive into something like this and create an experience the way Slash did. I'd love to see the backglass be designed like a Xenon on total RGB steroids. A ring of lights around the perimeter and a depth to the backglass to create that effect. GNR approach to code would be perfect....do a bunch of stuff, qualify a song of your choosing and have your mind blown with an amazing light show and sound package during multiball.
    I think its past time for these pinball companies to move past Dad Rock...but I still want my Rush...

The Weeknd is complete shit. It's for young fools who don't know what good music is and they aren't the people who invest in pinball machines.

#188 3 years ago

It is pretty ridiculous that Weekend song (you know the one that's been inescapable for a year) wasn't nominated for any Grammys. Whatever you think of modern pop that was easily one of the songs of the year; the fact that old people like me who would plunk down a Deep Purple LE deposit sight unseen know the song proves it should have been in the mix.

But it's also pretty funny Mr. End didn't have any trouble with the lack of transparency at the Grammies until he didn't get nommed for anything. Way to make a stand!

#189 3 years ago

I’m of the opinion that you really want an artist that’s either really far along in their musical career, towards the end of their musical career, or they are deceased and their musical career is over to make a music pin.

I really like music pins and nearly all of the best music pins are not even “my generations” music. These are bands or musicians that have been around for many decades and bridge multiple generations.

When you get a true musician that have been or were around for decades they have a big catalog of songs, artwork, performances, albums and album covers to draw from for inspiration. It’s essential timeless. If you pick a new artists, they may not even be at the peak of their career. They could be at the beginning, middle, or even nearing the end. If you made a pin with their current catalog of music and they went on for another 20 years I don’t really see how that will hold up long term and it would get really dated (regardless of how good the musician is). It would be like if you made a Madonna pin right after Like a Virgin came out. There’s so much material that came out afterwards, that it would just trap it in a certain era and keep it dated.

Getting your own pinball machine isn’t something that artist just get for writing some chart topping songs and being huge for a while. Bands like Metallica, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, AC/AD, Guns N Roses etc. are massive, have been around for decades and transcend generations.
    Look up how many gold records Elvis has for that matter.

Anybody that calls this stuff “dad music” or “old man” music or whatever they think the funny pigeon hole term they want to use really is not a fan of music in general in my opinion. Music isn’t about age groups. Anybody that categorizes it as such knows Jack shit about what real music is. More than half of what I listen to are musicians from before “my time”. I listen to plenary that came out while I was growing up and a young adult, and yes I listen to current “new music” as well. There’s not a single “new artist” I think “deserves” a pin.
    This is something that occurs when you’re a music icon.

#190 3 years ago

The original

The ripoff

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

10 years ago I added the first music jukebox to a pinball game. I added songs by ACDC, Metallica and Black Sabbath to my version of Stern's Iron Man. I thought it would be cool to choose your own music while you play pinball. This idea took off...big time, as I knew it would. But for me, this is still the best way to add your favourite tunes to a pinball game. Not a dedicated table based on a single boring band, but a collection of great music in one game.
    All Stern need to do is create a generic actioned themed pinball game, kinda like Black Knight SOR, and program a jukebox into the game, so players can easily add their own FULL music tracks, with a simple upload. Add the option to switch tracks at anytime, my preferred method is just holding up both flippers for 3 seconds, and you'll have your own personalized pinball experience.
    Your favourite band will never get their own pinball machine, so stop dreaming. This is the only chance you'll have of combining your favourite tunes with your favourite hobby.

Stern could do a variety as with NFL . Pick a game to use as a base.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

The original
    The ripoff

Au..to...... tune...I can't listen....it's not real

#193 3 years ago

More like:
    Original

Plus

Put in Blender on pulse

Oh my god he’s the next prince!!!! (Fart noise)

Take 1 minute. 20 seconds of all 3 songs. (I know that’s asking for the moon nowadays) and tell me I’m wrong.

#194 3 years ago

Alright, So this thread just turned into bashing other people's music then?

Or at least the Weeknd....

Either way I'm in. The Beach Boys suck. All I hear is My Little Duce Coup.... Whine Whine Whine wahhh, Whine Whine.

and Rush and AC/DC are over-rated.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

or you just turn off the games music, and turn your stereo on?

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Either way I'm in. The Beach Boys suck. All I hear is My Little Duce Coup.... Whine Whine Whine wahhh, Whine Whine.

No it's Tuesday

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:No it's Tuesday

Dad joke score: 8.2/10

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

It did not turn into bashing other people’s music.
    It started out that way from the very first post.

#199 3 years ago

What the “new music” theme guys don’t get ...

Where’s the story line?

What happens?

You can’t just have a pinball playing music.

What’s on the LCD?

“Daft punk works on Tron” ... yeah it sure does. Because it enhances the Tron story amd gels with the ruleset.

You couldn’t remove Tron from that game and just have a Daft Punk pinball - what’s the story? How do you write rules to music that mostly doesn’t have words? Just plonk the ball around?

Other pins - Maiden, ACNC, etc - each song follows the song theme/lyrics. There’s an overarching goal to “battle the beast” or “escape the castle” or something.

I don’t know how you’d apply that to pop music.

Maybe someone has some ideas?

rd

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

What the “new music” theme guys don’t get ...
    Where’s the story line?
    What happens?
    You can’t just have a pinball playing music.
    What’s on the LCD?
    “Daft punk works on Tron” ... yeah it sure does. Because it enhances the Tron story amd gels with the ruleset.
    You couldn’t remove Tron from that game and just have a Daft Punk pinball - what’s the story? How do you write rules to music that mostly doesn’t have words? Just plonk the ball around?
    Other pins - Maiden, ACNC, etc - each song follows the song theme/lyrics. There’s an overarching goal to “battle the beast” or “escape the castle” or something.
    I don’t know how you’d apply that to pop music.
    Maybe someone has some ideas?
    rd

The source material is unlimited!

The LCD can feature screenshots of the artist's Twitter accounts, referencing Twitter beef and how award shows are so unfair.

If the mode of earning a Grammy nomination is not achieved, the machine will power down in protest.

It will be easy to design because you can interchange various modern pop and hip hop artists and it will all be the same.

There can also be a mode where you have to hit X number of shots to keep the copyright infringement lawyers away.

If the mode is not completed, the game will deduct points to settle things with the estate of the deceased artist that did the song first.

Another mode can be whatever song you select, you can earn a DJ Khaled team up. It does nothing. The only thing it does is adds a "DEE JAY KHALED!" shout out for whatever song you selected in the first place.

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-music-licenses-catch-up-with-modern-times/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.