(Topic ID: 289562)

When will music licenses catch up with modern times?

By Dkjimbo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

guy-goes-to-disney-land-wearing-a-deadmau5-shirt-and-is-confronted-by-minnie-mouse (resized).jpg
    tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    pan flute (resized).jpg
    84539BE7-E01D-4ADE-9384-9A2DC2186243 (resized).jpeg
    What-happened-to-The-Weeknds-face-at-Super-Bowl-2021-990x660 (resized).jpg
    slash (resized).jpg
    theweeknd-1-1612561263 (resized).jpg

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

how about making a machine that appeals to females as well for once? Why all the caucasian over 55 male audience music? its not Dad rock, its now grandpa rock.
    average age new dad is 28 years old. . that is being born in 1993. So technically "dad" rock or music starts from people being born from 1993.
    feel old yet?
    its 2021. lets stop worrying about bands from 50 years ago.
    im sorry but if you cant see the actual facts of most popular music the last 20 years its urban/dance based, no matter what your background is.
    super stars who have the most youtube followers, the most hits over the past 15 years, the most overall popularity with hit after hit and still relevant today are as follows:
    Eminem
    drake
    Taylor swift
    Post Malone
    ariana grande
    Lady Gaga
    rihanna
    nicki minaj
    Usher
    chris Brown
    Lil wayne
    Migos
    travis Scott
    These arent one hit wonders or has beens, thats who are relevant and have been in the worlds music eyes like it or not for many many years.
    Their numbers compared to any old rock group are larger.
    These are facts, not opinions.
    embrace the current times. Any of these pins would out earn any old rock pin on location and sell in new markets galore as far as homes are concerned.

the fact that you think Eminem and CHris Brown "appeals to women" makes me wonder about your supposed finger on the pulse on the youth and female consumers of the day. Plenty of women in pinball find him vile for any number of reasons (check out Greg Poverelli's recent facebook thread!)

I mean..CHRIS BROWN? The guy who beat your beloved Rhianna into a pulp?

Maybe leave the theme choices to the pros, the ones who actually rely on pinball to put dinner on their tables. It's been stated a million times - the old band themes sell. Always. This is "a fact and not an opinion." Period. So why fuck with the formula?

I've yet to hear a good reason. Rock themes sell like hotcakes yet you want to change the recipe. Some nebulous, vague claim that you could "capture the youth market" or "broaden the appeal" of pinball rings super hollow. WHy the fuck do they need to broaden the appeal of pinball? Have you been paying attention? These manufacturers are backlogged a year yet you think now's time to bet the farm on a Lil' Wayne pinball machine? FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY?!?! Pinball's appeal is fuckin broad enough, they could start limiting the appeal a little bit and that would be ok by me at this point.

I'm with ya on the hip hop - it's time. THere's enough quality oldies hip-hop acts that they could do and actually sell some games. To old people. Snoop, Beasties, RUNDMC, I'm looking in your direction...We all know SNoop will do basically ANYTHING for a buck so getting him to do voice calls would probably be both easy and hilarious.

#102 3 years ago

well they do. Do you DJ, produce on radio, on air mix shows, clubs, bars?? if not i guess you wouldn't know about requests that pour in radio and at the clubs. Here is the kicker, its not just "urban or inner city areas".
    Yes, Eminem and chris brown are huge requests and wanted by women. Overall, prob 90 percent who ask for Chris brown music are female, Eminem is 50/50. Im not speaking about his or anyone elses personal life (he was an a hole to mess with Rihanna and i certainly don't condone that).
    im speaking on music terms though.
    this is ongoing 10 plus years.

ROCK IS DEAD...

NOTE: The biggest most successful pinball rock machines to date are metallica and GNR.
    both of those just happen to be the "youngest" of all rock machines made so the overall demo is younger than a band like KISS.
    GNR has the most female appeal, esp a band like iron maiden (99% male based).
    Great playing machine, but.,..wrong theme for location, low to mediocre earner on location amongst a group of other pins, niche band.

on our rental list, FEMALES are actually asking for GNR. No other rock pins have they asked for.

it is what it is. im not afraid of change.

#103 3 years ago

Still laughing at the idea that the reaction from the pinball community would be anything but horrific over a CHris Brown pin.

Can you fucking imagine the shit they would catch?

Maybe you forgot what he did to Rhianna's face. I'd refresh your memory but I don't want to look at any of those pics again.

#104 3 years ago

well they do. Do you DJ, produce on radio, on air mix shows, clubs, bars?? if not i guess you wouldn't know about requests that pour in radio and at the clubs. Here is the kicker, its not just "urban or inner city areas".
    Yes, Eminem and chris brown are huge requests and wanted by women. Overall, prob 90 percent who ask for chris brown music are female, eminem is 50/50.

Maybe true, but these women sure as shit aren't putting quarters in a pinball machine.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Maybe true, but these women sure as shit aren't putting quarters in a pinball machine.

Spinner's theory - posted 9,891 times in various facebook threads - is that suddenly all these twentysomething clubgoers would become pinball fanatics if only there were a Drake pinball machine.

It's an interesting idea but I just don't think we are gonna be able to find out anytime soon, unless Silver Spinner Pinball Manufacturing Inc. becomes a reality. Nobody's gonna want to take the chance and stop printing money with the rock themes.

Believe me, I'd love to see it. And I sincerely do believe it's time for that oldies hip hop theme, let's see how that does first and we can go from there!

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Why don't you start up a pinball company and produce those hip and new artists? Good luck.

For a fraction of what the guy spent on his own super bowl show he could fund a pinball run outright... all the risk, all the reward!

#107 3 years ago

Beastie Boys!

#108 3 years ago

how about making a machine that appeals to females as well for once? Why all the caucasian over 55 male audience music? its not Dad rock, its now grandpa rock.
    average age new dad is 28 years old. . that is being born in 1993. So technically "dad" rock or music starts from people being born from 1993.
    feel old yet?
    its 2021. lets stop worrying about bands from 50 years ago.
    im sorry but if you cant see the actual facts of most popular music the last 20 years its urban/dance based, no matter what your background is.
    super stars who have the most youtube followers, the most hits over the past 15 years, the most overall popularity with hit after hit and still relevant today are as follows:
    Eminem
    drake
    Taylor swift
    Post Malone
    ariana grande
    Lady Gaga
    rihanna
    nicki minaj
    Usher
    chris Brown
    Lil wayne
    Migos
    travis Scott
    These arent one hit wonders or has beens, thats who are relevant and have been in the worlds music eyes like it or not for many many years.
    Their numbers compared to any old rock group are larger.
    These are facts, not opinions.
    embrace the current times. Any of these pins would out earn any old rock pin on location and sell in new markets galore as far as homes are concerned.</block now its a race thing old caucasian men .pinball manufacturers sell for profit show them interest and proof they can sell your choices Im sure they will listen

#109 3 years ago

obviously i disagree

#110 3 years ago

I'm trying to imagine this conversation happening at TPF 202X or Replay.

Can't see it. We'd all just play pinball and have fun (most of us).

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

What this means is more people are entering the hobby.

Yeah me and you and lots of other people in the 40 yr old demo who starting buying games. I don't think for 1 second that the increase was due to a new breed of pinball fan. Arcades died and people starting buying games for the house.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exact same thing they were saying 20 years ago.

Above post applies to this as well. I hope young people are getting into it and it stands the test of time. I don't see it happening. JMO.

#112 3 years ago

Eminem
    drake
    Taylor swift
    Post Malone
    ariana grande
    Lady Gaga
    rihanna
    nicki minaj
    Usher
    chris Brown
    Lil wayne
    Migos
    travis Scott

That's just a real sad list of garbage. Oh man

#113 3 years ago

Interesting thing about the Weeknd/Prince comparison, is nobody ever said Prince was the next James Brown or the next Jimi Hendrix, because he took things to different levels and created Prince.

If the Weeknd is the next Prince, then that's not really much of a compliment IMO. It just says you sound like someone more famous and they did it first.

The comparison reminds me of when everyone (except me) were saying Oasis are the next Beatles.

One band remains timeless while the other's relevance is stuck in the few years of post-grunge "WTF do we do now?" music industry confusion.

#114 3 years ago

Am I the only person who has no idea what weeknd even is?

Going out on a limb here: it’s not going to be discussed in the pinsider death metal thread.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

The Weeknd is fuckin shit. Modern music basically stinks. Sorry but way to many classic bands still to go before then try anything new and thank sweet innocent baby Jesus for that.
    Slayer
    Motorhead
    Sabbath
    The Priest
    Deep Purple

Haz you're speakin' the TRUTH.

It would be smart for Stern to do a Deep Purple pin after Sabbath. That way they can market the two with Led Zeppelin as a trinity line up of 70's British Hard Rock. Buy all three!

...or take Pinside's advice and make a pin out of whatever is popular today, i'm sure it will be a classic.

#116 3 years ago

Well, old white guys like old white guy music. Not much the pinball companies can do about that. They need licenses that will sell as much as possible. There’s not room enough for niches in this market as of now.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from rolandthoms:

Daft punk
    The Weeknd
    Foo fighters (current and relevant rock and roll)
    I’m in.

I think something to remember is for as strong as the pinball industry has gotten over the last few years, no pinball company is in a financial position to survive a total flop.

People think otherwise but if stern came out with one game no one bought they’d li kg let be on the verge of collapse. If any of the other company’s did... it would be a foregone conclusion.

So no company can test a current pop artists machine.

They need to know it’s tried and true and has the pinball audience. I would put the foo fighters in this category. I believe that machine would sell every bit as well as a Metallica or AC/DC if done right.

For that reason it won’t happen.

Plus if you consider licensing. What’s the cost of obtaining licensing for a classic rock band vs licensing for someone who played the Super Bowl a month ago? And if your R&D costs are triple in that scenario you likely need to sell 4 times the machines to see a successful game. So way more risk. Same return.

And for Daft Punk, many of their best songs feature other artists. So while I don’t believe it would sell, I do think their music would fit well with pinball but licensing is probably a lot for them also due to all those artists being part of the process.

We’d likely see a better chance of a daft punk song being integrated in to a non licensed them than a themed game of their own.

#118 3 years ago

There should be a music pin around this and then no more music pins after that

Turn it up!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJ7bw5CH/

#119 3 years ago

Metallica is one of my favorite games of all time, but that has almost nothing to do with the band. Personally, I could care less about any other band theme games, regardless if they are "dad bands" or "modern bands". I really believe that every generation thinks the next generation's music is terrible. There is still great music being made. My preference would be to incorporate music that fits with the theme. Daft Punk works for Tron. ZZ Top works for Getaway. Maybe even just give me a way of uploading my own music. Let me make my own "Awesome Mix Tape" in Guardian's of the Galaxy. Give me the ability to create my own radio station for High Speed III.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Well, old white guys like old white guy music.

I don't think so.

Rock/Metal is just better pinball music.

Most people I know have a sweet spot for Rap, enjoy funk and good RandB. I just don't want a pin based on it. Lets be honest here, I just want a god damn Slayer pin.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Let me make my own "Awesome Mix Tape"

Similar to this?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJ7bw5CH/

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Stairway to heaven just celebrated 50 yrs old. Dad rock rules!!

it still didnt make it onto a pin though right?

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

I think something to remember is for as strong as the pinball industry has gotten over the last few years, no pinball company is in a financial position to survive a total flop.
    People think otherwise but if stern came out with one game no one bought they’d li kg let be on the verge of collapse. If any of the other company’s did... it would be a foregone conclusion.
    So no company can test a current pop artists machine.

I totally disagree - particularly with Stern. Stern has a strong runway to understand demand for their products through their global distributor network who are on the hook for bulk purchases. If a title isn't well received, orders wont be strong and they simply just don't produce many. Aligning supply with demand is a cake-walk for Stern. They produce dozens of machines a day if they want to or can pivot VERY quickly to something else if they need to. Stern doesn't sit on inventory. And aside from the early start on Pro models, I don't believe they pre-build virtually anything that hasn't already been bought and paid for by distributors or their third party studio games like Primus, Heavy Metal, Supreme, etc. I think you aren't giving their executive team enough credit here. If one flop of a product for any consumer goods company (particularly luxury goods like this) sinks you, you have a terrible business model. Figures dont get released obviously but Gomez is on record saying they got killed on BKSOR. He said they likely wont touch original themes again for a long time or ever. Did it hurt their business? Nope...they have never been stronger...was it a temporary disruption? Probably but in the grand scheme of things was no sweat to just cut bait and move on.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I totally disagree - particularly with Stern. Stern has a strong runway to understand demand for their products through their global distributor network who are on the hook for bulk purchases. If a title isn't well received, orders wont be strong and they simply just don't produce many. Aligning supply with demand is a cake-walk for Stern. They produce dozens of machines a day if they want to or can pivot VERY quickly to something else if they need to. I think you aren't giving their executive team enough credit here. If one flop of a product for any consumer goods company (particularly luxury goods like this) sinks you, you have a terrible business model. Figures dont get released obviously but Gomez is on record saying they got killed on BKSOR. He said they likely wont touch original themes again for a long time or ever. Did it hurt their business? Nope...they have never been stronger...was it a temporary disruption? Probably but in the grand scheme of things was no sweat to just cut bait and move on.

Except if a license cost you 3 times any other license how do you cut bait and stop making a game you’re in the red on.

Agree with you on one thing. They do understand their market. Which is why there won’t be a weeknd pinball.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

Except if a license cost you 3 times any other license how do you cut bait and stop making a game you’re in the red on.
    Agree with you on one thing. They do understand their market. Which is why there won’t be a weeknd pinball.

Again, respectfully, I think you are off on that. Look at Beatles. Another Gomez quote floating out there - that license cost them 1 million dollars. Why do you think the sales model with distributors was exclusively package deals consisting of all three trim levels? They are smart, they lock in these distributors who end up holding the bag. Stern wouldn't take on a million dollar license agreement if they weren't fully confident they would at least break even and I believe that predicated the sales terms with distributors. NIB games don't sit around at Stern. They are excellent at transferring risk and at the same time, they dangle the carrot. We all remember what was said on the now-removed podcast where Nick sort of spilled the beans on distributor costs for these machines a couple years ago. Its probably changed slightly over time but still similar. The margin for the distributors incentivizes them to take on the risk and make these bulk orders. you win some you lose some. But the house (Stern) always wins in this case. Stern can absolutely afford to take a risk here or there without a tremendous amount of exposure. I suspect we will see it happen sooner than later.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I totally disagree - particularly with Stern. Stern has a strong runway to understand demand for their products through their global distributor network who are on the hook for bulk purchases. If a title isn't well received, orders wont be strong and they simply just don't produce many. Aligning supply with demand is a cake-walk for Stern.

Why are you bitching at Stern? Why not sell your idea to JJP or AP or Spooky? Spooky just made a pinball by a guy who started in 1969. Don't see you upset at them.

#127 3 years ago

Methos you seem too grumpy for a guy from Wisconsin. I’m born and raised there. Anyway, I’m not “bitching” at anyone or upset with anyone. just looking for more risk taking o behalf of theming and generating some conversation, some of which is more productive and interesting. Go Pack Go!

#128 3 years ago

I have this theory about musicians and bands and what it means to make it “big time”.
    It’s pretty simple really.
    If Weird Al Yankivic has done a parity of one of your songs, then you have made it big time.

#129 3 years ago

Foo Fighters.

Keith design/code.

Dave Grohl call outs.

Would be a big seller and hit different demographics.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Foo Fighters.
    Keith design/code.
    Dave Grohl call outs.

Agreed

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Foo Fighters.
    Keith design/code.
    Dave Grohl call outs.

pro tip foo fighters is old enough to classify as dad rock now

90s dad rock as opposed to 70s or 80s but still

#132 3 years ago

I'm looking forward to a Modest Mouse pin.

#133 3 years ago

No offense to anyone, but all these Boomers in this thread amuse me with their, "Younnnngg people don't buy pinball machines..." and "pinball will be gone in 20 years..." nonsense.

It's just silly. I'm 34 and in the last year I've owned (among many others) an Elvira's House of Horrors, a SW Pro Comic Edition, an Oktoberfest, and an AFMr SE. So I've obviously got the interest and money to buy new games. A friend of mine is also in his early 30s, and he buys a lot of new LE's sight unseen when the themes appeal to him. In 20 years when Levi's in the home, we'll still be here buying pins.
    ----

As far as getting newer music-pin theme choices, that's tough. One of the reasons that the "Dad Rock" pins sell well is that the bands have cross-generational appeal. I grew up in the 90's and 00's listening to that era's music, but then also listening to classic stuff like Led Zepplin and The Beatles. And I mean Aerosmith, and even Metallica, still had hit songs even when I was in High School. So it's not like they're as out-of-date as some other bands.

Right now, there's a ven-diagram of bands that have meaning both for boomers and for older millenials. And a lot of dad-rock bands fall into that cross-section of appeal to people in their 50s AND their 30s. But eventually the diagram will shift and what music/themes appeal to people in their 30s and 50s will shift to newer stuff. You see this in the collector hobby. Lone Ranger collectibles aren't worth much anymore, because everyone who grew up watching the show is either dead or too old to continue the hobby. You're starting to see the same thing happen with Elvis memorabilia, the people for whom Elvis is still relevant is shrinking. My mother-in-law is mad for Elvis, but she's also 66.

The music industry and society is very different than it was in the 70s and 80s; not many music artists last more than a few years these days, and not many of them transcend the era they came up in, to have lasting appeal for years to come. Singers like Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift have both lasted for over a decade, but I'm having trouble of thinking of many others. Maybe Pink or Maroon5/Adam Levine? Maybe Coldplay, Eminem, and Drake? IDK.
    ----

Also, a The Weeknd pin would be awesome. Actually, how bout a Hot 100 pinball machine? Could load it up with people like Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, and Halsey. And you could use their music videos as assets for the backbox screen. Or maybe you could theme it as a "Just Dance.." pin? Haha.

#134 3 years ago

Pinballs that were done with at-the-time-current music licenses:

#Capt. Fantastic
    #Bally Kiss
    Nugent
    #DE GnR

Are there any others?

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Methos you seem too grumpy for a guy from Wisconsin. I’m born and raised there. Anyway, I’m not “bitching” at anyone or upset with anyone. just looking for more risk taking o behalf of theming and generating some conversation, some of which is more productive and interesting. Go Pack Go!

So why not spread some of that risk baiting to other companies? Wouldn't that be a better source for your recommendations since they are more nimble, and they need a big hit - which as you say would happen with a contemporary artist. Win/win right?

#136 3 years ago

I'm so glad some of you don't get to pick themes for pinball manufacturers. Even my teenage daughter who is really into music would cringe at the thought of some of the suggestions.

#137 3 years ago

Is Disturbed new enough to not be dad rock? I know their 1st album was 20 years ago, but they had an album just 2 years ago.

I want a Down With the Sickness rant mode. Imagine the screams whenever you hit targets.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from GolfKill:

#Capt. Fantastic
    #Bally Kiss
    Nugent
    #DE GnR
    Are there any others?

Dolly Parton

#139 3 years ago

Because music died 10 years ago. The idea of a weekend pin is laughable. Pinball is inherently nostalgic no matter how modern the technology or game is. Music themes that are nostalgic for 30-50 year olds are the only ones that make sense.

#140 3 years ago

I mean... they are one of the few that could bridge the gap between the old-timers and the tragically hip bar hopping crowd.

#141 3 years ago

So here is my 2 cents:

I do think branching out from the typical classic rock would be cool, but I don't think The Weeknd is the answer. Here is what I would like to see:

Think Champ Pub, but completely rethemed to rap battle. A few rappers to choose from (obviously they have to be proven commodities like Eminem, Snoop, Travis Scott, Biggie, Jay-Z, ect.). You pick your guy, have afew warm up modes and work your way up the rankings, battling the other rappers one at a time. If you integrated the screen more and had a small secondary screen on the playfield, but left playfield art generic stage, backdrop, ect, you could leave the door open for paid updates to add rappers and songs to the selection list. At that point, you can release 50 or 100 buck update packs with older rappers who wouldn't have a huge license fee (maybe Big Pun or local people from different areas like Paul Wall). Keeps money flowing in and the game fresh...

Like I said, far fetched but just a thought...

#142 3 years ago

WTF is modern music man. Everyone has their personal preferences. I think it's ridiculous to take a current popular musician and make a pin out of it. For reference, I was born in 1984. I am currently looking at the "Billboard top 100" because..."Top Tracks we select based on Music Popularity over Youtube and Radios and also collecting data from Popular Charts"...anyways...we have...

Olivia Rodrigo, Bruno Mars, Drake, Saweetie, The Weeknd, Nessa Barrett, 2KBABY, Justin Bieber, Doja Cat, Ariana Grande, Erica Banks, 24kGoldn, YBN Nahmir, Travis Scott, PRETTYMUCH, Pop Smoke, AJR, Ricky Montgomery, BRS Kash, Bryce Vine, SZA, Lil Baby, Glass Animals, Lewis Capaldi, Jack Harlow.....and the list goes on. WHO ARE ALL THESE MUSICIANS?! There's SO MANY I've never heard of and frankly...do NOT have the time to listen and sort through all that crap.

I'm just at the age where pinball machines are actually affordable for an average person. There is NO WAY I would buy a NIB pinball if it was modern music. Modern music is mostly for younger people...younger people that don't give a sh*t about pinball. You gotta cater to your audience...the people actually buying the machines.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from GolfKill:

#Capt. Fantastic
    #Bally Kiss
    Nugent
    #DE GnR
    Are there any others?

Dolly Parton

Rolling Stones 1979 (Stones were in the middle of a string of #1 albums and hit singles at the time and were still "relevant.")

Wizard kinda counts, as the WHo were still a big deal in the late 1970s and this game is Who-related.

THe Entertainer - Roy clark when Hee Haw was still a big deal

Beat Time - kinda counts as it's a bootleg Beatles game in the late 60s.

#144 3 years ago

Although the original album is from 1969, Data East The Who’s Tommy is based on the 90s musical rock opera.
    It debuted on Broadway in 1993 and the machine came out in 1994.

It’s not really comparing apples to apples, but it is a music pin that was released in conjunction with a then current music event that was popular and mainstream.

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Although the original album is from 1969, Data East The Who’s Tommy is based on the 90s musical rock opera.
    It debuted on Broadway in 1993 and the machine came out in 1994.
    It’s not really comparing apples to apples, but it is a music pin that was released in conjunction with a then current music event that was popular and mainstream.

WHO wouldnt want a pinball machine by a very popular group singing about pinball.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The most obnoxious fucking thing about every pinball tournament over the last 3 years has been a TNA in the bank at top volume pumping that never ending thumping sound track for three days.
    Like, enough already. Can we please start keeping that game to normal fucking volumes?

tumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.giftumblr_4773995ea923eb0768c393b6665d23c0_a629957f_500.gif
    #147 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Actually, how bout a Hot 100 pinball machine? Could load it up with people like Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, and Halsey. And you could use their music videos as assets for the backbox screen. Or maybe you could theme it as a "Just Dance.." pin? Haha.

Something like this will do extremely well, especially with music from the EDM or Outrun genres (along with selections from Futuresynth or Synthwave). Imagine cranking out a new "EDC [year number]" pin every 3-5 years or so with music from artist that appeared at that year's EDC. Somebody like Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Skrillex, Tiesto, or Paul Oakenfold could easily carry a pin. Names like Martin Garrix, Steve Aoki, Carpenter Brut, MOON, Kavinsky, and others could easily carry a pinball theme in full or in part, on the music and aesthetics side (though their brand names may not be strong enough for true mass market). Spooky's Total Nuclear Annihilation is solidly in the Outrun genre, so it can definitely be done and be commercially viable.

Now where's my Hotline Miami pin from somebody like Spooky? That seems like a perfect pin theme.

Hotline Miami soundtrack:

I do wonder Stern's Heavy Metal is a trial for getting an ensemble cast of bands/musicians and moving both the musical genre and band age needle a bit.

While it will never happen for numerous reasons, a Cowboy Bebop pin could certainly work.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from GolfKill:

Pinballs that were done with at-the-time-current music licenses

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2531 Chicago Coin's Thing, 1951

#149 3 years ago

I hope they never catch up to modern times, today’s music is terrible!

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Matt1724:

I hope they never catch up to modern times, today’s music is terrible!

I dislike ageism, but you know how old that makes you sound? Might as well say, "Get off my lawn!" while your at it.

I love music and finds songs and albums from just about any era and genre to enjoy, including plenty of stuff from today. Aside from a lot of the "Hit" songs from today that I like, I also I got into a New Retrowave kick recently. It's basically 80's music made today. Here are a couple of music videos that are pretty damn good. Plus, the first one features Jennifer Connelly. Always a plus in my book!

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-music-licenses-catch-up-with-modern-times/page/3?hl=jandrea95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.