Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,051 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by danarchy
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9718 (resized).jpeg
    matrix (resized).png
    IMG_2451 (resized).png
    IMG_5685 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1322 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8385 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4797 (resized).jpeg
    nX-xq0NC_400x400 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2650 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2649 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5111 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230321-083755 (resized).png
    19AC6A64-764B-4176-B902-1F68AC54D7CF (resized).png
    298AD8C2-82EF-4FB2-9290-7FDF822D70AA (resized).jpeg
    70CA1EFE-2F4D-4B5A-80DB-4177E4CB5647 (resized).jpeg
    733F9956-AE63-49D4-BB84-BF0EE69D2285 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jamcat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 4 years ago

After Wonka being somewhat of a let down, I am cautiously optimistic about GnR. They left a ton of good things on the cutting room floor with Wonka and it was either to save money or it was because Lawlor just missed the mark and they never made it on the design board.

If Eric is doing GnR, then I still have some hope that it will be impressive. I am just spoiled by POTC and there is no going back for me. I am liking most of Stern’s latest releases though so that is keeping me occupied.

2 weeks later
    #171 4 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

What was left on the cutting room floor with Wonka? Game is pretty jam packed even on a standard.

How about an actual brass Wonkavator that can receive the ball? A pipe ball lock? An eggdicator? Instead we got a spinning gobstopper, an LCD with a plastic “wonkavision” frame, and a “DIY project looking” wooden and plastic shelf with a wonkavator sticker on it. It’s obvious that margins were the number one consideration on this one.

However, even the rule set needed better structure. How about making each of the 5 golden tickets correspond with each kid and their individual encounters in the factory? Instead, each ticket is a hodgepodge of tasks that don’t flow at all and the kids were tied into one multiball like an afterthought. It just could have been so much more, if given the attention to detail that POTC had. It’s not a terrible machine as is, but not one I get excited about playing either.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

Pipe ball lock would've been a cool feature. I suppose you could "ask" for all sorts of things, but I was suggesting that there isn't much room left on the playfield to add on top of what is already there.
    I suppose I'm used to looking at Stern's offerings and, by comparison, Jersey Jack games have way more even on a standard.

You’re right about stern, however they are stepping up lately with the toys in JP and ST. I own a POTC and I’m just spoiled by the overall package. Wonka still has more than the average Stern, but they cut it close on this one. Since Eric should be doing GnR, I’m hoping it will restore my interest.

2 weeks later
    #222 4 years ago

I am excited to see GnR. Since Eric should be doing this pin, we will know if JJP is on the cost cutting train that we suspected after the Wonka release. We’ve seen what Eric can and wants to do in his designs, so if it comes up short, there is no one else to point at but greedy investors. I really hope they go back to cultivating the wow factor. I’m still loving my POTC more than anything else after my dream theme of Wonka being a letdown. I wish I could make it to TPF!

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

I honestly wonder how profitable they are. Wonka LE vs. Stern LE and tell me who is still giving you at least something for the money?

I have no idea what their profit margins are, but JJP obviously needed more so they skimped on the toys for Wonka. Any time investors are involved in anything, it’s only a matter of time before they want to “streamline” and then the product or service goes downhill. It’s just a shame it had to start on such a good theme. I would have paid 13k plus for a Wonka wide body done up like Pirates with upper playfield and a real wonkavator and better integrated ruleset.

I think they need to start a dedicated micro line for the CEs and allow the designers to spare no expense in getting it right. Then only build them as they are ordered. That way they aren’t stuck with a batch of high cost CEs if they don’t sell. I personally think they would be surprised how many would pay up for the better design. And I know, lower quantities of the CE mechs would cost more, blah blah blah, but I can dream at least......

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Amen! I was SOOO excited for WONKA, expecting a WOZ Level game, and what a HUGE disappointment. Honestly if they do another RRWOZ run I’ll buy one but at that will probably be my only JJP ever as it seems like the investors are in charge 100% now. I mean my god look at YBR it just pisses me off..

Oh I was the same! I had a deposit on a CE before the reveal and then I cancelled it and got a POTC instead. I’m sorry but a spinning gobstopper and an LCD with a plastic frame on it just doesn’t impress me. It needed a brass wonkavator that can receive the ball, a pipe ball lock, and an eggdicator that would drop the ball from the upper playfield. So many cool things could have been done.....Now I’m just clinging to the last sliver of hope that Eric convinced them to let him do GnR like it should be! If not I’ll look at a Stranger Things Prem or Jurassic Park Prem.

1 month later
    #453 4 years ago

After they got us used to paying the higher price points for standard body with Wonka, I don’t see why they would go back. It would cost them more and they know we are already maxed out on what we want to pay, so raising the price to go back to wide body would not be a wise business decision.

Although I must admit, I would have paid more for a Wonka that was done up right like POTC....

2 weeks later
    #462 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Recent podcast hinted at when it's ready to ship.
    He goes into detail about the move to Chicago, and plans for the future.
    So with the move, and virus, I would imagine it will be awhile to get rolling again.
    http://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-s01-e07
    LTG : )

Jack also eluded that he was happy to have a larger factory, making it possible to rerun previous games that there is a lot of demand for. We all know Pirates is the only game with pent up demand..... I mean they can't seem to give the last few Woz YBR's away and they've had DI in stock forever and even Hobbit. Wonka is still being produced with plenty of stock so what does that leave? Do the math......

Now I am not a fan of that idea, because I already own POTCLE and if I wanted a fresher one, without playfield issues and other quirks, I'd have to take a bath selling the "inferior" one that no one would want anymore and also pay a premium for the new one. Makes me want to sell while the value is high and just hope and pray that a new run is coming and that I don't get burnt. It's a coin flip situation really, but most likely i'll just keep mine.

#465 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah will see what happens. I've kept saying that I think JJP won't make any more Pirates but it may be a big help financially for JJP to run it again after the factory move plus having to be closed for a few months due to our current situation. However, running Pirates may steal sales away from GNR.

True, they definitely won't do it until after the novelty of GnR runs its course for a few months. But it sounds like they might at some point. It may be expensive to produce, but they have already invested the money in the design and license which is the hard part. They already know they can sell a new edition for 11.5k all day long. I'll be watching closely. I'm betting that a new run comes out early 2021 in between GnR and the next title. Then I will be mad if it's better or happy that I can finally get parts!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jamcat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-jjp-announce-next-game?tu=jamcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.