Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,051 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by danarchy
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9718 (resized).jpeg
    matrix (resized).png
    IMG_2451 (resized).png
    IMG_5685 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1322 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8385 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4797 (resized).jpeg
    nX-xq0NC_400x400 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2650 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2649 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5111 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230321-083755 (resized).png
    19AC6A64-764B-4176-B902-1F68AC54D7CF (resized).png
    298AD8C2-82EF-4FB2-9290-7FDF822D70AA (resized).jpeg
    70CA1EFE-2F4D-4B5A-80DB-4177E4CB5647 (resized).jpeg
    733F9956-AE63-49D4-BB84-BF0EE69D2285 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,051 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 22.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from JamCat:

After Wonka being somewhat of a let down, I am cautiously optimistic about GnR. They left a ton of good things on the cutting room floor with Wonka and it was either to save money or it was because Lawlor just missed the mark and they never made it on the design board.
    If Eric is doing GnR, then I still have some hope that it will be impressive. I am just spoiled by POTC and there is no going back for me. I am liking most of Stern’s latest releases though so that is keeping me occupied.

What was left on the cutting room floor with Wonka? Game is pretty jam packed even on a standard.

#152 4 years ago

At this point, they should announce soon to capitalize on those tax refund dollars that will start coming in the next few months, combined with taking away the Stern strangerLE/prem dollars that will be looking to spend after canceling their orders.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Wonka was revealed at the MGC show shortly after the Texas show. There wouldn't be anything to worry about.

GNR at MGC would be great!

#154 4 years ago

I think JJP should show GnR toward the end of January.
    This would capture audience and cash before the very busy month of March.And then show Toy Story
    at Chicago Expo

#155 4 years ago

No game will be packed like POTC again. JJP has made the decision to cut in order to help the margins. The good news is that it's still leagues above stern. Just don't expect GnR to compete with POTC. Just look at Wonka and set your expectations accordingly meaning it will have enough but the days of a pirates is over.

Not to say it can't be better than pirates but as far as being stuffed.... Becomes a manufacturing nightmare and jjp has to get these damn games out which is why you saw success with Wonka

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

No game will be packed like POTC again. JJP has made the decision to cut in order to help the margins. The good news is that it's still leagues above stern. Just don't expect GnR to compete with POTC. Just look at Wonka and set your expectations accordingly meaning it will have enough but the days of a pirates is over.

I would be stoked with another WONKA. Great playing game and packed with fun stuff!

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

No game will be packed like POTC again. JJP has made the decision to cut in order to help the margins.

Really ?

Jack told you this ?

LTG : )

#158 4 years ago

If history tells us anything...

WOZ - Wide
    HOB - Wide
    DI - Standard
    POTC - Wide
    WONKA - Standard

GnR - Standard? I have no idea. I feel like wide would work better or is that just because I have POTC?

If the appeal is there and it’s JJP’s only music/band game to date, why not go all out and make it a wide?

I just think more real estate is excellent if done properly...

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Jack told you this ?

I've already said the same thing several times. Here is my prediction JJP will NEVER make another WIDE BODY game. Everything from here on out will be a standard body... which personally I think sucks. I hope JJP remembers they're the collector pinball company, make collector games.

But if all the games are standards going forward they would streamline parts and production. I think that is what will happen.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I've already said the same thing several times. Here is my prediction JJP will NEVER make another WIDE BODY game. Everything from here on out will be a standard body... which personally I think sucks. I hope JJP remembers they're the collector pinball company, make collector games.
    But if all the games are standards going forward they would streamline parts and production. I think that is what will happen.

So WOZ MAY be my last JJP pin because I LIKE the wide body.

I don’t think this will be reality.

#161 4 years ago

I had a vision last night in my dream that JJP created a pinball the size of Hercules.
    It was called Mega Balls.
    Coming in just under 20k!
    30k for the X rated backglass.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

The good news is that it's still leagues above stern.

In stuff on the PF and maybe "build quality" but not in fun factor. Stern is making the best pinball machines still and will continue to make them. I played POTC and its nothing special. But for a lot of u guys if it isn't loaded with crap then it immediately sucks. BK3 is a example. Great game.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I hope JJP remembers they're the collector pinball company, make collector games.

What? how could they or anyone remember that when it isn't true. What exactly makes JJP "the collector company" oh wait I know "Build quality"

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What? how could they or anyone remember that when it isn't true. What exactly makes JJP "the collector company" oh wait I know "Build quality"

Yes build quality and thinking outside the box.If Jack had never started JJP Stern would still be making shitty looking and even more stripped games then they
    were then!

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Yes build quality and thinking outside the box.If Jack had never started JJP Stern would still be making shitty looking and even more stripped games then they
    were then!

So true. Stern would still be producing pins with DMD’s. That’s a fact.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

In stuff on the PF and maybe "build quality" but not in fun factor. Stern is making the best pinball machines still and will continue to make them. I played POTC and its nothing special. But for a lot of u guys if it isn't loaded with crap then it immediately sucks. BK3 is a example. Great game.

Comparing BK3 LE and POTC LE is crazy. C'mon...they both cost $9500, but one of them shouldn't have...
    With other fun games coming from AP, Spooky and JJP, I find it hard to justify Stern's pricing.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Comparing BK3 LE and POTC LE is crazy. C'mon...they both cost $9500, but one of them shouldn't have...
    With other fun games coming from AP, Spooky and JJP, I find it hard to justify Stern's pricing.

He’s trolling. He always does. He knows damn well there is no comparison. He must be paid by Stern to say this really stupid shit. I’m not joking, it’s really stupid.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

He’s trolling. He always does. He knows damn well there is no comparison. He must be paid by Stern to say this really stupid shit. I’m not joking, it’s really stupid.

I'm not trolling. If JJP makes a pin with a good theme I'll buy one. U guys seem to judge a pinballs fun factor based more so on the amount stuff on the PF and the fact it has a super deep rule set rather than simply how much fun it is and theme. Thats fine but because I state my opinion I'm a troll. What a joke.
    If anyone seems like they are being paid its u by JJP. I played POTC it wasn't for me but I loved BK3 Pro not an upper playfield fan so thats what I bought, it has to be justified by the BOM in order to be appealing, that is pure horseshit. Everyone creamed their jeans over TNA and that thing looks like a kids home project pin and costs more than a Stern pro but its not Stern so its "magical" again what a joke, but that seems to be the norm around here. (edited)

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

So true. Stern would still be producing pins with DMD’s. That’s a fact.

Wow and u think I say stupid shit.

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow and u think I say stupid shit.

Cool story bro.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

What was left on the cutting room floor with Wonka? Game is pretty jam packed even on a standard.

How about an actual brass Wonkavator that can receive the ball? A pipe ball lock? An eggdicator? Instead we got a spinning gobstopper, an LCD with a plastic “wonkavision” frame, and a “DIY project looking” wooden and plastic shelf with a wonkavator sticker on it. It’s obvious that margins were the number one consideration on this one.

However, even the rule set needed better structure. How about making each of the 5 golden tickets correspond with each kid and their individual encounters in the factory? Instead, each ticket is a hodgepodge of tasks that don’t flow at all and the kids were tied into one multiball like an afterthought. It just could have been so much more, if given the attention to detail that POTC had. It’s not a terrible machine as is, but not one I get excited about playing either.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from JamCat:

How about an actual brass Wonkavator that can receive the ball? A pipe ball lock? An eggdicator? Instead we got a spinning gobstopper, an LCD with a plastic “wonkavision” frame, and a “DIY project looking” wooden and plastic shelf with a wonkavator sticker on it. It’s obvious that margins were the number one consideration on this one.
    However, even the rule set needed better structure. How about making each of the 5 golden tickets correspond with each kid and their individual encounters in the factory? Instead, each ticket is a hodgepodge of tasks that don’t flow at all and the kids were tied into one multiball like an afterthought. It just could have been so much more, if given the attention to detail that POTC had. It’s not a terrible machine as is, but not one I get excited about playing either.

Pipe ball lock would've been a cool feature. I suppose you could "ask" for all sorts of things, but I was suggesting that there isn't much room left on the playfield to add on top of what is already there.

I suppose I'm used to looking at Stern's offerings and, by comparison, Jersey Jack games have way more even on a standard.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

Pipe ball lock would've been a cool feature. I suppose you could "ask" for all sorts of things, but I was suggesting that there isn't much room left on the playfield to add on top of what is already there.
    I suppose I'm used to looking at Stern's offerings and, by comparison, Jersey Jack games have way more even on a standard.

You’re right about stern, however they are stepping up lately with the toys in JP and ST. I own a POTC and I’m just spoiled by the overall package. Wonka still has more than the average Stern, but they cut it close on this one. Since Eric should be doing GnR, I’m hoping it will restore my interest.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from davisjl1979:

Around 2-2.5k less in "things."

#175 4 years ago

Any news / update on JJP's GnRs at Texas Pinball Fest end of March?

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Any news / update on JJP's GnRs at Texas Pinball Fest end of March?

One thing I’ve seen with JJP since the one big leak years ago was the can keep a secret!

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

One thing I’ve seen with JJP since the one big leak years ago was the can keep a secret!

Got that right. Game expected for TPF - they unveiled WOZ YBR instead. Game expected for MGC - they unveiled Willy Wonka instead.

Until they show it, anything else is merely speculation.

My speculation is with hot titles like Rick and Morty, and Stranger Things. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see JJP make a big splash with their next game.

Time will tell.

#178 4 years ago

I think it's cool that TPF just recently announced that Eric Meunier was going to be a special guest at this year's show. Hopefully this is a good indicator that he will be there to talk about his next game (presumably GNR).

#179 4 years ago

Gonna be great when JJP announces a PotC style deep cut game based on HBO’s “The Wire” instead of GnR.

That might actually make me pony up for another table.

#180 4 years ago

I'm hoping for a MGC reveal again. It's closer (within driving distance) from the JJP engineering/development offices.

#181 4 years ago

I was hoping an earlier reveal of GnR and than announce a Black Pearl version of POTC for $9500

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Got that right. Game expected for TPF - they unveiled WOZ YBR instead. Game expected for MGC - they unveiled Willy Wonka instead.
    Until they show it, anything else is merely speculation.
    My speculation is with hot titles like Rick and Morty, and Stranger Things. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see JJP make a big splash with their next game.
    Time will tell.

I liked the Dialed In reveal the best. They didn't show any half game or look for any public opinion before it was built. They just came out and clubbed you over the head with an awesome game. I am always looking forward to what they build.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

I liked the Dialed In reveal the best. They didn't show any half game or look for any public opinion before it was built. They just came out and clubbed you over the head with an awesome game. I am always looking forward to what they build.

This is true,I didn’t get to play Dialed In until the Louisville Expo.
    It was love at first play

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I was hoping an earlier reveal of GnR and than announce a Black Pearl version of POTC for $9500

Me too, but if JJP announces a Black Pearl POTC it won't be $9500

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Me too, but if JJP announces a Black Pearl POTC it won't be $9500

Probably $10,000

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Probably $10,000

12.5k more likely

#187 4 years ago

Unfortunately your probaly right on price.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Probably $10,000

I'd say more like $12.5k + probably in line with WOZ YBR

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Since our community can't deal with prototypes (triple-disc stupid-loud likely-to-fail mech removal), this is likely how it's going to be...
    But considering the improvements they made to Hobbit from user feedback, I DO wish they'd show games early while there is still time to tweak stuff.
    Imagine how much better Dialed In would've sold if they'd changed the name to "Chaos in Quantum City" and downplayed the phone stuff.
    It cost them and it's a shame.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Imagine how much better Dialed In would've sold if they'd changed the name to "Chaos in Quantum City" and downplayed the phone stuff.
    It cost them and it's a shame.

Who knows. I like the title - it’s humorous, subtle word play. Not everything has to be bombastic.

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Who knows. I like the title - it’s humorous, subtle word play. Not everything has to be bombastic.

It does here!

#192 4 years ago

GnR Daily news:
    On This Day - January 22nd 1990. Guns N' Roses pick up two American Music Awards - best hard rock/metal Artist & Album (Appetite For Destruction).

I can’t wait

F8D359E7-A623-4739-8D4C-4F1E520BEFE7 (resized).jpegF8D359E7-A623-4739-8D4C-4F1E520BEFE7 (resized).jpeg
    #193 4 years ago
    Quoted from joseph5185:

If history tells us anything...
    WOZ - Wide
    HOB - Wide
    DI - Standard
    POTC - Wide
    WONKA - Standard
    GnR - Standard? I have no idea. I feel like wide would work better or is that just because I have POTC?
    If the appeal is there and it’s JJP’s only music/band game to date, why not go all out and make it a wide?
    I just think more real estate is excellent if done properly...

Interesting. For some reason I thought all JJP games were wide body..

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Why would Eric not go widebodywithGnR?

I know I heard somewhere that JJP was not making widebody games. It may have been Pat Lawler, but I can't confirm...

#195 4 years ago

And how is Willy Wonka not a widebody coming in to weigh as much as a WOZ? 350 lbs...

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

And how is Willy Wonka not a widebody coming in to weigh as much as a WOZ? 350 lbs...

Because candy is fattening

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchild:

Because candy is fattening

lol hahaha

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I know I heard somewhere that JJP was not making widebody games. It may have been Pat Lawler, but I can't confirm...

A year and a half ago (so JJP direction could have changed since then), Jack told me that they want to stick with standard bodies and no upper playfields going forward. DI (= Pat) was that way. Jack said that Eric lobbied for and reluctantly was approved by management to do JJPOTC as a wide body with the rocking upper playfield. He made a good case for it Jack said. Wonka (= Pat) was standard and no upper playfield. Guessing that Eric might not win a wide body with upper playfield again. Jack was saying that it is easier to stay with one standard cabinet for all the pins. Makes it easier as it is just a different playfield and decals from one pin to the next. Even has the same monitor and guts. Jack pointed out and showed me that there is a difference even with the back box between standard and wide body.

I'm still hoping for packed wide bodies with upper and/or lower playfields for GNR and Toy Story with cool innovations and toys that have that "wow" factor when you first play them - like JJPOTC, TH, and WOZ had for me the first few times playing them. DI and Wonka play great, so not bashing that at all. Wonka light shows in the different modes gives a "wow" factor. The last TH code update gave some "wow" factor also. Instead of the "more cowbell" phrase, it's "more wow factor" for me.

Anyway … enough rambling. Just an opinion.

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

A year and a half ago (so JJP direction could have changed since then), Jack told me that they want to stick with standard bodies and no upper playfields going forward. DI (= Pat) was that way. Jack said that Eric lobbied for and reluctantly was approved by management to do JJPOTC as a wide body with the rocking upper playfield. He made a good case for it Jack said. Wonka (= Pat) was standard and no upper playfield. Guessing that Eric might not win a wide body with upper playfield again. Jack was saying that it is easier to stay with one standard cabinet for all the pins. Makes it easier as it is just a different playfield and decals from one pin to the next. Even has the same monitor and guts. Jack pointed out and showed me that there is a difference even with the back box between standard and wide body.
    I'm still hoping for packed wide bodies with upper and/or lower playfields for GNR and Toy Story with cool innovations and toys that have that "wow" factor when you first play them - like JJPOTC, TH, and WOZ had for me the first few times playing them. DI and Wonka play great, so not bashing that at all. Wonka light shows in the different modes gives a "wow" factor. The last TH code update gave some "wow" factor also. Instead of the "more cowbell" phrase, it's "more wow factor" for me.
    Anyway … enough rambling. Just an opinion.

Also a case against widebody production is the cost. You get 4 standard playfields out of a standard sized sheet of plywood and only 3 widebodies. Thus widebody pf's cost 1/3 more than standard for the raw material alone. Then add in extra cost of paint/clearcoat/parts that are associated with covering a widebody.

#200 4 years ago

My guess is JJP won’t release the game until it is either on the line or very close to it. As far as I am concerned they have yet to launch a game right, which has hurt their sales. The other issues I would identify as holding them back has been theme and QA. GNR is a huge opportunity for them to acquire new customers from a different pinball base and even fans from outside of pinball. If they get it right, it will be huge! They cannot blow this!!

There are 1,051 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-jjp-announce-next-game/page/4?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.