(Topic ID: 282469)

When will IFPA-sanctioned pinball events return? Poll included.

By Russell

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When will IFPA-sanctioned pinball events return? Poll included.”

• January, 2021 2 votes
      1%
    • February, 2021 0 votes
    • March, 2021 0 votes
    • April, 2021 3 votes
      2%
    • May, 2021 8 votes
      6%
    • June, 2021 12 votes
      8%
    • July, 2021 15 votes
      10%
    • August, 2021 15 votes
      10%
    • September, 2021 19 votes
      13%
    • October, 2021 8 votes
      6%
    • November, 2021 4 votes
      3%
    • December, 2021 1 vote
      1%
    • 2022 or beyond 40 votes
      28%
    • Never 16 votes
      11%

(143 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B4114441-BB1A-4AD2-8836-F082DD43F582 (resized).jpeg
    neverbeef (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 days ago

Dang! I had September picked

#52 12 days ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Dang! I had September picked

I just realized I did too!

#53 11 days ago

I was too optimistic, I had picked May. Realistically I was expecting later this year but I'm still glad it's August.

#54 11 days ago

Why aren't State SCS points going to start back up until 2022? If we pay into the fund in 2021, points should count too. Just run SCS qualifying from August 1, 2021 to the end of 2022.

#55 11 days ago

They'd likely have to adjust the 20 event limit to handle 17 months of events instead of 12. Also the simple fact 2021 stuff shouldn't count in 2022.

Funds get paid back regardless so not worried about that. Practice in 2021 and win in 2022

#56 11 days ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Why aren't State SCS points going to start back up until 2022? If we pay into the fund in 2021, points should count too. Just run SCS qualifying from August 1, 2021 to the end of 2022.

But if you do leagues that were unable to complete their 2020 season can pick up where they left off then NO 2021 state.

Also ramp up time and some states not having big shows left + maybe limited people do to cross border issues.

Some places have had evnets all ready / started there own non IFPA state / event chains that to trun on IPFA midway can make it not open to all. Even more so if to get in you need to play in past events (be for IFPA is back on) Also any events sold out now but now fall into the IFPA time.

Not haveing SCS this year makes a lot of issues go away.

#57 11 days ago
    Quoted from metallik:

They'd likely have to adjust the 20 event limit to handle 17 months of events instead of 12. Also the simple fact 2021 stuff shouldn't count in 2022.
    Funds get paid back regardless so not worried about that. Practice in 2021 and win in 2022

well then playoffs SCS / and need to hit Qualifications to get in events that are qualified based on year before should not count for the year played for SCS.

#58 11 days ago

Why not have the state championship qualifying start in August instead of January? Idiots

#59 11 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

well then playoffs SCS / and need to hit Qualifications to get in events that are qualified based on year before should not count for the year played for SCS.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say here..

My point is: WPPR points by themselves are pretty generic, so I agree on sanctioning as soon as possible (I assume Aug date was given to allow EU and AUS to catch up on vaccinations)

But, SCS is much more tied to a yearly schedule, so waiting til Jan 1 before allocating SCS points makes sense to me. Especially since, as others pointed out, 2021 is going to start up unevenly and in spurts. Jan 1 everything should be running full tilt (ha)

#60 10 days ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I assume Aug date was given to allow EU and AUS to catch up on vaccinations

ifpapinball explained it in Pinball Profile a couple days ago.
    https://media.blubrry.com/pinball_profile/p/www.pinballprofile.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/ep-308-IFPA-open-for-business.mp3

Events have to be submitted (and approved) 30 days prior so the window means I don’t have to scramble to organize and submit AND the IFPA approval team has time to approve stuff.

#61 10 days ago

Thanks for the update... I don't listen to podcasts so miss some of these details.

#62 10 days ago

2023 SCS NCS should be HUGE since it will have 2020(3 months), 2021(5months) and 2022's events to add to the pot.

#63 10 days ago

As a tournament director, I don't miss the arguments about WPPRs and how IFPA is doing this or that wrong. IFPA announced a comeback and it only took 1 day for people to start calling them idiots. Pinball points should not get you worked up. Why can't we celebrate that we can get back to sanctioned events after more than a year of missing them? Obviously when over a year of events have been cancelled and delayed, it is going to change the way qualifying and championships will operate. Let's just be flexible and go back to having fun. Things will normalize with time.

#64 10 days ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

As a tournament director, I don't miss the arguments about WPPRs and how IFPA is doing this or that wrong. IFPA announced a comeback and it only took 1 day for people to start calling them idiots. Pinball points should not get you worked up. Why can't we celebrate that we can get back to sanctioned events after more than a year of missing them? Obviously when over a year of events have been cancelled and delayed, it is going to change the way qualifying and championships will operate. Let's just be flexible and go back to having fun. Things will normalize with time.

I guess people missed bitching more than they missed competitive pinball.

#65 10 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess people missed bitching more than they missed competitive pinball.

You don't actually get to play much pinball during a tournament. Bitching is the real main event!

#66 10 days ago

The good news is the ifpa guys are absolutely untrollable. It can be enjoyably hilarious watching people try to get a rise out of them.

Poor whysnow wasted thousands of keystrokes on this...

#67 10 days ago

I voted for August 2021. But I cast that vote two minutes ago.

#68 9 days ago
    Quoted from PinballBJB:

I voted for August 2021. But I cast that vote two minutes ago.

This is a smart gambler

#69 9 days ago

An underrated benefit of IFPA returning is that, since most tournaments submit to be sanctioned, it's a pretty comprehensive, centralized calendar of what events are happening. Without IFPA you're left at the mercy of someone who may or may not have posted something to Facebook, more often than not.

#70 9 days ago

Proud to announce we'll be doing the "Welcome Back, WPPRs" tournament in NYC at the world-famous Funtorium on Sunday, August 1. Details and possibly recorded theme song to follow!

It'll be a 24-person match play tournament for locals that none of you will be at but hey it'll be fun!

Welcome Back, WPPRs:

Welcome back
    The disease was your ticket out
    Welcome Back
    All Those TD rulings we bitched about

Oh the names haven’t changed since you’ve been around
    But we’re all two years older, with 10 more pounds

We had to sit around and bleed ya
    (sit around and bleed ya)
    But now you’re back when we need ya!
    (back when we need ya)

Oh we missed you a lot
    And I fell 30 spots
    Welcome back
    Welcome back welcome back welcome back

#71 9 days ago

Kotterrific! With your musical talent it shouldn't be much trouble to record that sucker.

#72 9 days ago

Tournament players on 1 August:

B4114441-BB1A-4AD2-8836-F082DD43F582 (resized).jpeg
    #73 9 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Proud to announce we'll be doing the "Welcome Back, WPPRs" tournament in NYC at the world-famous Funtorium on Sunday, August 1. Details and possibly recorded theme song to follow!
    It'll be a 24-person match play tournament for locals that none of you will be at but hey it'll be fun!
    Welcome Back, WPPRs:
    Welcome back
    The disease was your ticket out
    Welcome Back
    All Those TD rulings we bitched about
    Oh the names haven’t changed since you’ve been around
    But we’re all two years older, with 10 more pounds
    We had to sit around and bleed ya
    (sit around and bleed ya)
    But now you’re back when we need ya!
    (back when we need ya)
    Oh we missed you a lot
    And I fell 30 spots
    Welcome back
    Welcome back welcome back welcome back

Signed,
    Woppersteins Mother.

#74 8 days ago

Well I got lazy and when with the 'roke version...Welcome back everybody!

Congrats to the International Flipper Pinball Association (IFPA) on its announcement that officially sanctioned competitive pinball - and the sweet, sweet WPPR points that will rain down upon pinball players, starved since 2020 of these tasty ranking points - will return on August 1, 2021. To celebrate, NYC's Funtorium and Greg "Wpperelli" Poverelli will present the "Welcome Back, WPPRs" Tournament for 24 lucky players on Sunday, August 1. Details to follow! Until then...welcome back everybody!

Welcome Back
    A disease was your ticket out
    Welcome back
    All those TD rulings we all bitched about

Oh the names haven't changed since you been around
    We're just all two years older with ten more pounds

We had to sit and bleed ya!
    (had to sit and bleed ya)
    Now you're back when we need ya!
    (back when we need ya)

Oh we missed you a lot
    and I fell 30 spots
    Welcome back
    Welcome back, welcome back welcome back

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside