(Topic ID: 131304)

When was the golden age of pinball?

By Deez

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

golden.jpeg
    camera-p.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago

I'd say the golden age was probably the 1970s. Pinball became legal in so many places where it hadn't been before. Three inch flippers were becoming the norm. Tommy had come out. Video games weren't a threat yet, but more of an added attraction to get people in to arcades to play pinball. Solid state games appear. Wide bodies. Talking pins. At least four large American companies, plus numerous foreign operations, were building more pins than they ever had before.

It was a golden era until Space Invaders in 1979 and Pac-Man in 1980 start taking in all those potential pinball quarters. Smaller footprint, less maintenance, shorter game times, no replays, and things start looking bad for pinball. At least till Space Shuttle and the mid-80s to early-90s resurgence, the silver age if you will.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Re-reading the OP's post, It's clear he was talking about a golden age in terms of enjoyment.
    I was basing my 70's comment on commercial success.
    Today is a great time for pinball enjoyment.

I still stick with the 70s. I think the enjoyment was pretty high when so many different pins were coming out at once. They were everywhere, the different manufacturers were constantly trying new things to compete with each other, and the general health of the industry made things better for the average player. If enjoyment just means games with deep rules, then the 90s or today would be the golden age. I just think the best time was when it was ubiquitous and flooding with new ideas from lots of places.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-was-the-golden-age-of-pinball?tu=JoeNewberry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.