(Topic ID: 270844)

When to use "whom"

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

321DC395-AF5F-462E-9BD3-034557316C58 (resized).jpeg
    7CFCCA14-6098-4EA4-B4B5-86E60AA9586A (resized).jpeg
    42709D4D-B743-4BB1-96CE-62F3651E799B (resized).jpeg
    75312011-0280-4FFF-9507-AFB267DA806A (resized).jpeg
    A2E533FC-46FD-46B8-9760-54ED832508D3 (resized).jpeg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I won't call out the person that does this all the time, but I thought I'd give out a public service announcement about how to properly use the word "whom."

I see someone constantly use "whom." Almost never using the word "who." This is an oddity, as almost always it is the opposite. More times than not, people use "who" when it should be "whom," but not in this case.

"Who" is the subject. For instance, "who is there?" The main person or thing in that subject is the who.

"Whom" is the object, or not the main person or thing. Such as "whom are you looking for?" You, in this case, is the main subject. Not whom. "Whom" isn't the star of the show.

Many times I see someone make a sentence such as, "whom is coming to get the machine?" No. No no no.

A helpful tip: if you would say "he," then it's "who." If you were to say "him," then it is "whom." You wouldn't say, "him is coming to get the machine," would you?

Very odd occurence that I only see done here, so I figured I'd just make this thread to never be seen again and possibly downvoted to hell. Lol

#2 3 years ago

I seen that before. Glad you brought that to our attention at here.

#3 3 years ago

Whom do you think you are, the grammar police?

(just messing. I’m with you on this PSA)

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I won't call out the person that does this all the time, but

“I won’t call out the person WHO does this all the time, but..”

I mean, if you’re gonna gripe about grammar, “That” is the most-often misused word in English.

#5 3 years ago

Irregardless of who he’s calling out, I defiantly agree with him. He said it real good.

#6 3 years ago

"You side with them
    Whom you despise"

Leonard Cohen, Nevermind

#7 3 years ago

Whom cares?

For all intensive purposes their interchangeable.

#8 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure the the folks to whom you are directing this don’t really care.

#9 3 years ago

Oops double post

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from CPanther95:

Whom cares?

You get an F grade.

#11 3 years ago

What's next? You don't spell it 'aboot?'

Quoted from shirkle:

Irregardless ....

Unirregardless.

#12 3 years ago

We need too call in the grammar cops.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from CPanther95:

Whom cares?

Quoted from shirkle:

Irregardless of who he’s calling out, I defiantly agree with him. He said it real good.

Quoted from JethroP:

I seen that before. Glad you brought that to our attention at here.

OMG. I'm going to have to stay away from this thread. It's so triggering.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from CPanther95:

Whom cares?

This one always annoyed me. I wonder how intensive the purpose is.

Intents and purposes

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ACcookDC:

This one always annoyed me. I wonder how intensive the purpose is.
    Intents and purposes

Same difference. Duh!

#16 3 years ago

Costello: Well then whom's on first?

Abbott: Yes.

Costello: I mean the fellow's name.

Abbott: Whom.

Costello: The guy on first.

Costello: The first baseman.

Costello: The guy playing...

Abbott: Whom is on first!

Costello: I'm asking YOU whom's on first.

Abbott: That's the man's name.

Costello: That's whom's name?

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That's it.

Costello: That's whom?

PAUSE

Costello: Look, you gotta first baseman?

Abbott: Certainly.

Costello: Whom's playing first?

Abbott: That's right.

Costello: When you pay off the first baseman every month, who gets the money?

Abbott: Every dollar of it.

Costello: All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base.

LTG : )

#17 3 years ago

6 years of college down the drain

#18 3 years ago

To whom it may concern- I don't really give a shit.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Same difference. Duh!

Yeah...not really. I’ll let you have this one though if you don’t know the difference between an intent and intensive.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from shirkle:

Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

#21 3 years ago

Whose this directed at?

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Whose this directed at?

Whysnow obviously!

Looks like you got a new grammar buddy

#23 3 years ago

For these type things I usually check The Oatmeal first

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom

#24 3 years ago

"Whom" always sounded snooty to me. Imagine that, with all the snootiness I used to dispense here! (Always in good humor, though, or attempted good humor anyway.)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/news-flash-your-is-possessive-youre-means-you-are

#25 3 years ago

I think ya misunderestimated this thread.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

For these type things I usually check The Oatmeal first
    https://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom

Hillarious! Cindy I never knew ...

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

"who is there?" The main person or thing in that subject is the who.

Sure plays a mean pinball!

#28 3 years ago

It's basic stuff that should be taught at schools not that anyone cares these days agree the English language is ever evolving and growing as long as people can understand what you're trying to say you think who and whom are the least of your worries in my opinion people don't use commas and full stops enough one sentence runs into another and before you know it you can't understand what anyone is trying to say just my opinion on this matter regarding this topic totally agree if you have other views on matter my function brain good Still .

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

It's basic stuff that should be taught at schools not that anyone cares these days agree the English language is ever evolving and growing as long as people can understand what you're trying to say you think who and whom are the least of your worries in my opinion people don't use commas and full stops enough one sentence runs into another and before you know it you can't understand what anyone is trying to say just my opinion on this matter regarding this topic totally agree if you have other views on matter my function brain good Still .

Otaku?

#30 3 years ago

Can we add people that say "on accident"?

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Can we people that say "on accident"?

Huh

#32 3 years ago

I think it’s ‘by accident’

#33 3 years ago

So is it "I was born on accident"

or "I was born by accident"

or "my whole life has been an accident waiting to happen"

?

#34 3 years ago

Tihs trhaed has gteton out of cntrool.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I won't call out the person that does this all the time, but I thought I'd give out a public service announcement about how to properly use the word "whom."
    I see someone constantly use "whom." Almost never using the word "who." This is an oddity, as almost always it is the opposite. More times than not, people use "who" when it should be "whom," but not in this case.
    "Who" is the subject. For instance, "who is there?" The main person or thing in that subject is the who.
    "Whom" is the object, or not the main person or thing. Such as "whom are you looking for?" You, in this case, is the main subject. Not whom. "Whom" isn't the star of the show.
    Many times I see someone make a sentence such as, "whom is coming to get the machine?" No. No no no.
    A helpful tip: if you would say "he," then it's "who." If you were to say "him," then it is "whom." You wouldn't say, "him is coming to get the machine," would you?
    Very odd occurence that I only see done here, so I figured I'd just make this thread to never be seen again and possibly downvoted to hell. Lol

Considering about 70 percent of this forum doesn’t have a grip on your/you’re or their/they’re I’d say you are asking the wrong people.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Considering about 70 percent of this forum doesn’t have a grip on your/you’re or their/they’re I’d say you are asking the wrong people.

Lighten up Francis. We’s all literit here.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

We’s all literit here.

And I think I'm finally getting close to working with that auto-incorrect feature!

#38 3 years ago

You do realize the person whom you are referring to does this on purpose, right?

I, for one, am impressed he uses it 100% incorrectly all the time, proving he does know the rule and just chooses not to follow.

Now if he can please explain 'aboot' then I may finally get a good night sleep

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

You do realize the person whom you are referring to does this on purpose, right?
    I, for one, am impressed he uses it 100% incorrectly all the time, proving he does know the rule and just chooses not to follow.
    Now if he can please explain 'aboot' then I may finally get a good night sleep

Aboot is just fun to type

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Aboot is just fun to type

Isn’t that what you get into when you want to go fishing on the lake?

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

We need too call in the grammar cops.

They cancelled that show too...

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Tihs trhaed has gteton out of cntrool.

dyslectics are teople poo !!!

#43 3 years ago

Confuses says don’t confuse the whom with the womb.

#44 3 years ago

Wow. This thread was supposed to have two replies and die in 8 minutes. Proof there isn't a ton of pinball news going on right now. lol

#45 3 years ago

You could probably care less, but I once hired a foreign domestic whom caused an accident on purpose.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

I so wanted to thumbs up this comment, but the lack of commas and full stops made it difficult to understand.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Wow. This thread was supposed to have two replies and die in 8 minutes.

I totally agree. Or I agree totally. Witch one is it?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Wow. This thread was supposed to have two replies and die in 8 minutes. Proof there isn't a ton of pinball news going on right now. lol

You created a virus!

#50 3 years ago
    A2E533FC-46FD-46B8-9760-54ED832508D3 (resized).jpegA2E533FC-46FD-46B8-9760-54ED832508D3 (resized).jpeg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-use-whom?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.