(Topic ID: 270844)

When to use "whom"

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

321DC395-AF5F-462E-9BD3-034557316C58 (resized).jpeg
    7CFCCA14-6098-4EA4-B4B5-86E60AA9586A (resized).jpeg
    42709D4D-B743-4BB1-96CE-62F3651E799B (resized).jpeg
    75312011-0280-4FFF-9507-AFB267DA806A (resized).jpeg
    A2E533FC-46FD-46B8-9760-54ED832508D3 (resized).jpeg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #52 3 years ago

For Who The Bell Tolls

LTG : )

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

For Who The Bell Tolls

“V-RROOM!” The Bell Tolls

75312011-0280-4FFF-9507-AFB267DA806A (resized).jpeg75312011-0280-4FFF-9507-AFB267DA806A (resized).jpeg

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Whom do you think you are, the grammar police?
    (just messing. I’m with you on this PSA)

42709D4D-B743-4BB1-96CE-62F3651E799B (resized).jpeg42709D4D-B743-4BB1-96CE-62F3651E799B (resized).jpeg
    #55 3 years ago

Grammatical discussions always remind me of this classic quote:

“It depends upon what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.”

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

To whom it may concern- I don't really give a shit.

You can give a sh/t in 3 easy steps by changing one letter at a time to form a new word

Whom
    Whim
    Shim
    Sh/t

#57 3 years ago

Your stupid.

#59 3 years ago

Supposably, murikans aren't learned to much grammer by they're teachers.

#60 3 years ago

When to use “Whoom”

7CFCCA14-6098-4EA4-B4B5-86E60AA9586A (resized).jpeg7CFCCA14-6098-4EA4-B4B5-86E60AA9586A (resized).jpeg
    #61 3 years ago

Thank god for this thread. I'm about to teach my kids grammar since schools are closed and it turns out I was doing it all wrong!

To all pinsiders whom contributed there expertise to alot of the posts, your having a much positive affect on me children!!

#62 3 years ago

You’re postings our having quite an affect on are pinball community. I complement those whom teach others that its okay to sometimes be wrong, rather then rite. Let me insure you that I would knot kill you with my bear hands. Their wood be no purpose. Just my too sense.

#63 3 years ago

We’re is it at?

#64 3 years ago

Merriam and Webster are both sellouts, so proper use of language no longer matters. No matter how the English language gets butchered, they'll just add new words to the dictionary and normalize it.

When they add the word "conversate", I'm burning all my dictionaries, stocking up on ammo and moving off the grid.

#65 3 years ago

Give me a brake!

#66 3 years ago

Careful showing that around hear.

#67 3 years ago

I saw a banner once on a muffler shop, that they performed duel outs. It hung there for years.
    I always wanted too go bye their and ask when I could sea them in there battle gear.

I'd like to know if it is me with whom the op is referring to, I use it perhaps a little too frequently myself.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Considering about 70 percent of this forum doesn’t have a grip on your/you’re or their/they’re I’d say you are asking the wrong people.

Dude I was just getting used to the Dirty Ratt!

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

“I won’t call out the person WHO does this all the time, but..”
    I mean, if you’re gonna gripe about grammar, “That” is the most-often misused word in English.

Too bad it's perfectly fine to use "that" in reference to people. Just don't use "who" to refer to non-people.

#70 3 years ago

how much wood would of a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would of chucked wood

#71 3 years ago

Is this the place to complain about inconsequential grammar crap that bugs you? One of mine is the overuse of replacing "me" with "I."

Correct:
    My wife and I were invited to dinner.

Incorrect:
    My friend invited my wife and I to dinner.

You wouldn't say "My friend invited I to dinner," and tossing your wife into the mix doesn't change that. My theory is that scary English teachers hand-slapping kids for saying stuff like "Me and Jimmy went to the arcade" has resulted in a generation of over-correctors.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

My theory is that scary English teachers hand-slapping kids for saying stuff like "Me and Jimmy went to the arcade" has resulted in a generation of over-correctors.

Eye agree!!

#73 3 years ago

Over correction is something that can happen when you drive a car. Grammar is either correct or not. Now intention, that a different matter...

#74 3 years ago

All those in agreement, say "I."

#75 3 years ago
    321DC395-AF5F-462E-9BD3-034557316C58 (resized).jpeg321DC395-AF5F-462E-9BD3-034557316C58 (resized).jpeg
    #76 3 years ago

Definitely when singing along to Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

"For Who The Bell Tolls" just sounds stupid.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Is this the place to complain about inconsequential grammar crap that bugs you? One of mine is the overuse of replacing "me" with "I."
    Correct:
    My wife and I were invited to dinner.
    Incorrect:
    My friend invited my wife and I to dinner.
    You wouldn't say "My friend invited I to dinner," and tossing your wife into the mix doesn't change that. My theory is that scary English teachers hand-slapping kids for saying stuff like "Me and Jimmy went to the arcade" has resulted in a generation of over-correctors.

I wish I could up-vote this more than just once. It bugs me that when I say something like “They gave it to my wife and me,” I’m pretty sure someone thinks I used improper grammar.

#78 3 years ago

Ask not what your country can do for who.
    Ask what your country can do for whom.

#79 3 years ago

Horton Hears A Whom

#80 3 years ago

“Pinball Wizard” by The Whom

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-use-whom/page/2?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.