• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NagsWilliams1960snippet (resized).png
20160907_195053_001-1 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys, i'm working on a 1960 Williams Black Jack. There are presently no fuses in it, I took a pic of the label and it doesn't specify Slow Blow or Standard. Should I install Standard fuses and see if I end up with a fuse blowing often, then change it to a Slow Blow?

Thanks!

20160907_195053_001-1 (resized).jpg20160907_195053_001-1 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Generally EM's have standard and solid state games have slow blow.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Sounds good, thanks for the tip!

#4 7 years ago

You should look at the schematics. Nags is another 1960 Williams game and the schematics specify slo blo in at least one place. I have a 1963 Gottleib Gigi that also uses slo blo in some cases.

The good news is if it isn't specified it's probably a fast one. The other good news is you probably won't hurt anything but your wallet by putting a fast fuse where a slo blo belongs.

I include a piece of the Nags schematic for reference.

NagsWilliams1960snippet (resized).pngNagsWilliams1960snippet (resized).png

#6 7 years ago

That fuse block uses all fast blow but one slot needs to be empty, either the low line or high line as moving the fuse is how to high tap it. You may find a slow blow in another location, sometimes under the playfield for a solenoid coil like the bank reset in the schematic above.

If you put a fuse in both the low line and high line spot at least one will blow instantly.

#7 7 years ago

Would it be best to use the Low or High line?

#8 7 years ago

always start with the low line. you can always go up if the game seems wimpy

#9 7 years ago

Regular tap is actually about 54 volts. High tap pumps it up to about 60 which with good line voltage becomes silly.

#10 7 years ago

I'm confused, the fuse card shows normal and low.

#11 7 years ago

Low is for when line voltage is low which raises coil voltage. If line voltage is normal and you use that slot, these games become crazy fast.

And replacement plastics are hard to come by.

#12 7 years ago

Thus the confusion. You should start with normal, if that's not enough switch to low. Correct? Also, low line = high tap, normal line = regular tap?

#13 7 years ago

You got it! I've had them come on high tap and switched them to normal and they are still very fast. Williams switched to 24 volts in the early 60s, but were still plenty powerful.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that up! I'm glad I asked, it would of been a while before I figured that all out..

#15 7 years ago

Oh ya... what is considered Low and Normal input/line voltage ??

#16 7 years ago

I believe standard line voltage should be 120 plus or minus 10%. I tend to see around 117. At one time I think they used 110 though.

#17 7 years ago

50 volt coils obviously need more resistance than 24 volt coils, and will also get toasty faster if there is one locked on or shorted inside. I have also seen where somebody put a 24 volt coil in a 50 volt machine and that didn't end well. So it's best to check the schematic and make sure the correct coils are in a higher voltage game, and check resistances which are usually at least 8 ohms or more.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-use-what-fuse-type and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.