(Topic ID: 227111)

When to Send Paypal (Friends & Family)

By PolePosition

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I've got a potential deal brewing with a fellow pinsider, for an out of state purchase. Seller has requested payment with paypal, friends and family, and that I arrange and pay the shipping. This pinsider has been a member for 5+ years, with the records showing 7 games sold, 2 with feedback, so I feel semi-confident the guy is reputable.

I have not bought a pin and had to deal with shipping before, so my question is this: When is the appropriate time to send the funds? Would it be OK to send when the shipper has arrived and is ready to load? I just want some protection knowing the game is in hand.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

Personally, I don't use paypal for transactions for more than a couple hundred or so in most cases. Too many things can potentially go wrong.

If you want protection, it's better to use an online escrow service.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide/

#3 5 years ago

You would need to pay before the shipper arrives. Paypal has a delay and as a seller I would want the money cleared into my bank account before I let machine ship. Friends and family option is better for seller as there are no fees and its bank funds over credit card funds, which also protects the seller. If its funded by credit card the buyer can get the machine and dispute the charge and create issues for months. If its friends and family its money from your account and harder to create headaches for the seller.

#4 5 years ago

I only use friends and family for.... friends and family.

Sometimes if a person I don't know all that well that has something I want to purchase, and converses back and forth in a friendly, honest manner, and I feel I can trust him or her, he or she often becomes a new friend.

#5 5 years ago

I checked with seller, and he does not want to bother with an escrow (I offered to pay the fees). Can anyone vouch for pinsider rvdv? Or should I pass on the deal?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from PolePosition:

Can anyone vouch for pinsider rvdv?

That cheapskate? Hahaha lol.

I know the dude and he's kind of flaky.

No, he's a local and pretty checked out. Just make sure you know exactly what you are getting. He's got a lot of nice and some very rare games. And usually in real good shape, but I can't vouch for exact condition on any of them. But if he takes your money, you will probably get your game.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That cheapskate? Hahaha lol.
    I know the dude and he's kind of flaky.
    No, he's a local and pretty checked out. Just make sure you know exactly what you are getting. He's got a lot of nice and some very rare games. And usually in real good shape, but I can't vouch for exact condition on any of them. But if he takes your money, you will probably get your game.

I appreciate your response!

#8 5 years ago

Which one are you buying?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Which one are you buying?

White Water

#10 5 years ago

If it's the same one, I think I played it at a party he had a while back, can't remember the exact condition, but most of his were real nice.

RobT would remember it better than I do as he was having a love affair with it and tearing it up.

#11 5 years ago

Well never mind, just found it is being sold locally. The hunt continues....

Thanks to those that chimed in!

#12 5 years ago

When people ask for friends & family I tell them I'll pay the normal way and add in the fee. That way I still have some protection. If they say no I move on.

#13 5 years ago

I prefer to use PayPal but have them send me a bill and I will pay extra to cover the fees.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

When people ask for friends & family I tell them I'll pay the normal way and add in the fee. That way I still have some protection. If they say no I move on.

And you’re doing the right thing. Some people think it is fine to commit fraud on a large company. How large does it need to be to rip them off. Friends and family is for that, not purchasing a large expensive toy and circumventing transaction fees.
    Pay for the service you use, send a check or cash on glass imo!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

And you’re doing the right thing. Some people think it is fine to commit fraud on a large company. How large does it need to be to rip them off. Friends and family is for that, not purchasing a large expensive toy and circumventing transaction fees.
    Pay for the service you use, send a check or cash on glass imo!

The reason they offer f & f is not because paypal is taking some moral high ground. It is because you forego the right to dispute and it costs them less. Otherwise they would limit the amount of friends one could send to. It's not ripping them off if you decide to take the risk.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

Friends and family option is better for seller as there are no fees and its bank funds over credit card funds, which also protects the seller. ... If its friends and family its money from your account and harder to create headaches for the seller.

These statements are wrong. There's no guarantee F&F is bank funds, it can also come from a credit card, which can also create problems for the seller.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

There's no guarantee F&F is bank funds, it can also come from a credit card, which can also create problems for the seller.

And that's why you don't go with large amounts that you can't afford to potentially lose.

#18 5 years ago

I think if the seller is willing to take PayPal F+F, he should be okay if you would prefer to use traditional PayPal assuming you cover the added fees.

I’ve actually done both, if I’m unsure of a seller I would rather have a recourse if I felt I was duped.

Paypal is trusted by tons of large organizations. There seems to be a lot of people that just jump on the hate wagon and have probably only heard horror stories. Look at the number of transactions they perform and how many people screw them over with F+F

I deal with credit card chargebacks more then PayPal disputes. People can pass counterfeit cash too. All unlikely scenarios

#19 5 years ago

Guys, as usual, many of you are over reacting.

It's OK for YOU to pay someone with Paypal.

Just NEVER accept Paypal or F&F as payment to yourself - ever.

Always use a credit card to fund Paypal - NEVER EVER link Paypal to your bank account.

#20 5 years ago

I paid friends and family yesterday for a pin.
    But, he is a friend and this is the 4th game Ive purchased from him.
    Dont FnF to strangers, even on pinside. And dont ship pinball games. There are plenty of games out there. Patience for a title will show up in your area eventually.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-send-paypal-friends-amp-family and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.