When to replace targets?

By LucidLight

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just got a Star Trek: The Next Generation. I noticed that a few round targets were missing the padding between the round target and the metal back bar. At further examination, I noticed the spacing between targets was not equal. It seems a few of the targets have play in the left and right direction. Should I replace the ones with the missing pads and the ones with the play in them, or both, or neither? Maybe adding new pads and doing some kind of repair is needed?

#2 11 years ago

The foam padding can be had from Pinball life~

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=410

Or you can cut your own and replace it using door weatherstrip insulation foam. Unless the target is broken polish it , replace the foam and use it. If the target is riveted together you can re-set or crimp the rivets to tighten them up some.

#3 11 years ago

+1. Replace the pads, adjust the gap, clean the target. Good for another 50,000 hits.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from LucidLight:

WHEN TO REPLACE TARGETS?

When they don't work. Yours sound fine, just repad, clean, adjust and tighten. Good to go.

#5 11 years ago

I would say clean and re-gap. Usually plastic circle or square piece breaks.

#6 11 years ago

Im going with never unless the metal breaks. New faces are cheap, foam freshens them up, rivets are cheap but the rivet tool is like 75 bucks.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Im going with never unless the metal breaks. New faces are cheap, foam freshens them up, rivets are cheap but the rivet tool is like 75 bucks.

Yep, that's the part that sucks. I need to replace the faces on my bullseye targets on Space Shuttle.... Only PBR sells the faces, I don't have a rivet tool...it's really hard to justify like 100$ just to replace 6 target faces.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yep, that's the part that sucks. I need to replace the faces on my bullseye targets on Space Shuttle.... Only PBR sells the faces, I don't have a rivet tool...it's really hard to justify like 100$ just to replace 6 target faces.

I got the arbor time tool and i am very happy. I think it will pay for itself within a year!

#9 11 years ago

Awesome. Thank everyone for the advise. That will save me some money! Is there something special about the rivet tool? I have a regular rivet tool that i use for other projects. Will that work?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from LucidLight:

At further examination, I noticed the spacing between targets was not equal. It seems a few of the targets have play in the left and right direction.

When you get a ding-dong target like that, there's really only two ways to fix it. Either get a rivet squeezing tool and fix the rivets, or drill out the rivets and replace with screws and nuts. Both solutions work.

Quoted from LucidLight:

Is there something special about the rivet tool? I have a regular rivet tool that i use for other projects. Will that work?

Depends on what type of rivet tool you're talking about. Arbor press? Yeah. Pop rivet gun? No. Hand squeezer? Yes. C-clamp squeezer? If you can manage to get one that actually works and doesn't make things look terrible, sure.

3 weeks later
#11 11 years ago

Do you use the same 1/8 rivet dies for the target rivets that you do for the ramp rivets? Or would I need a different die set?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-replace-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.