Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

044520C5-E74C-41C9-A8FE-464E1F87F5FF (resized).png
7E07C380-CC31-41BD-AA7F-C892377A5EC1 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Finally get the pin of my dreams and this is the first one with so many multi balls per game. After about 100 games, I am seeing marks on the balls. I plan on taking them out and cleaning them, but the question came up, when to replace them and what are folks doing?

#2 1 year ago

I change em out twice a year.

#3 1 year ago

Everyone is different. Every game is different too. On modern games with lots of
Multiball like GZ or Wonka they seem to get beat up fast and I replace every maybe 100 games. Older games like funhouse much longer. I probably could go longer but balls are cheap imo. I buy a few hundred and have no qualms changing them out often.

#4 1 year ago

If you see any discoloration, clean with a little metal polish and a microfiber cloth. If it takes more than a couple minutes each of polishing to get them looking shiny, which it inevitably will, get new ones. They're not expensive and your time is probably more valuable. I like Blue Magic polish, but most any metal polish you find at an auto parts store will work. Shine (your eyeballs) vs Polish time tells you when to buy.

Don't buy extras as they degrade if not kept in an oil bath.

#5 1 year ago

Once a year I remove them and throw them in the tumbler with some metal polish.

#6 1 year ago

You have to change them ?

#7 1 year ago

If they're perfectly smooth, I keep them. If they're not perfectly smooth, I replace them. I don't care how old they are - for me it's all about feel. I've had balls a few years old with no issues, and I've had NIB balls that I was horrified to see corrosion on (thankfully before I played).

#8 1 year ago

general rule of thumb for me, varies machine to machine with wear, but about 300 plays

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Once a year I remove them and throw them in the tumbler with some metal polish.

Which tumbler do you use? Like a rock tumbler?

Thanks!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from robnotto:

Which tumbler do you use? Like a rock tumbler?
Thanks!

I use this one and have had great results using a metal polish called White Diamond added to the media. Cabela’s sometimes have these for sale.

7E07C380-CC31-41BD-AA7F-C892377A5EC1 (resized).jpeg7E07C380-CC31-41BD-AA7F-C892377A5EC1 (resized).jpeg
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I replace every maybe 100 games

Ha, my location Godzilla would have gone through 1,200 balls by now with this math!

#12 1 year ago

I use the 300 play guideline but condition is always the deciding factor. Games with only one or two balls I change in as little as 100 plays if I see the ball starting to dull.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Asmig:

I use the 300 play guideline but condition is always the deciding factor. Games with only one or two balls I change in as little as 100 plays if I see the ball starting to dull.

Heh, I do the same.

#14 1 year ago

Right about now.

044520C5-E74C-41C9-A8FE-464E1F87F5FF (resized).png044520C5-E74C-41C9-A8FE-464E1F87F5FF (resized).png
#15 1 year ago

if they are scratched (a dent in the ball you can feel with your finger nail), then they are out.
If rusted, out.
If been there for 800-1000 games, maybe time to change them out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 16.00
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-replace-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.