pb12 (resized).jpg
ash4 (resized).jpg
lw5 (resized).jpg
lw4 (resized).jpg
lw1 (resized).jpg
20230205_173356 (resized).jpg
20230205_173442 (resized).jpg
20230205_173329 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 1 year ago

Lots of good advice in this thread!

I'm looking at these restoration projects from a retail business standpoint.

I've said it before... all the Bally/William's from the 80's (and the Sterns from that age, and the Gottliebs for that matter...)

I no longer take, even if the machine is offered for free.

Machines this age take an extraordinary and disproportionate amount of work to make them reliable, beautiful pinballs.

Unless it's Kiss.

You can sell Kiss for $7000.00+, so that is worth the time and effort.

Every other machine this age is a money pit of despair. (Not really...)

You can't come out ahead (if you actually do the things necessary to turn the machine into something that is reliable and beautiful) without investing too much time and effort relative to the sale price of the machine.

However, if you have a personal connection to a machine, or you know for certain that there is a person with a personal connection to the machine and would be willing to pay substantial money for a 'best restored in the world' example, that would be the exception.

If you love it, there is no price too high to pay.

If you are developing skills for other restoration projects, consider it like the cost of a semester in college. It'll pay off later, IF you choose the right job in the future that will actually make you money. If you choose to restore these machines over and over you might end up bankrupt.

(I'm looking at this from a retail business viewpoint! Of course, as a hobby you can do as you like, and every thing you do to keep old pinballs working is absolutely to the good of the hobby of pinball. I bow to you, for your efforts. Because of you, one more pinball that was 'lost' is now playable. Well done!)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Displays
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-to-or-not-to-restore-seeking-advice?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.