4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    Trifurcon_(resized).jpg
    Trifurcon_(resized).jpg
    at-and-t-we-want-more-featuring-beck-bennett-large-7_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

This came up in an early SS thread on displays, but is really a much broader question: when is it smart to use trifurcon .156 pins over flat ones? Cost aside, is it ever bad?

One pinsider had a bad experience with trifurcons being a super tight fit, for instance. I'm curious if there's a consensus on when this is an issue.

#2 4 years ago

Use them on everything, no disadvantages IMO

#3 4 years ago

Agreed with only advantages are price/time.

#4 4 years ago

everything that uses header pins

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Use them on everything, no disadvantages IMO

I disagree somewhat. Trifurcon is only needed on high current pins. I never use trifurcon on signal connectors, just power connectors. Excessive insertion/removal force on large 20pin plugs could be an issue.

A system 3-7 mpu and driver has so much connector redundancy, you never see burned pins on them. Single wipe is OK on those boards. GI connectors on the other hand... trifurcon.

Rule of thumb i use for the bally rectifier board. Trifurcon on all the fatter wires with the exception being trifurcon all orange wires. Someone will tell me this is wrong, but that is fine =D.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

This came up in an early SS thread on displays, but is really a much broader question: when is it smart to use trifurcon .156 pins over flat ones? Cost aside, is it ever bad?
    One pinsider had a bad experience with trifurcons being a super tight fit, for instance. I'm curious if there's a consensus on when this is an issue.

Dont ever use them on Gottlieb system 1 edge connectors

#7 4 years ago

Trifurcon connectors do not handle any more current than a swipe type. The advantage is in high vibration/shock environments.

Molex Swipe Crimp Terminal 18 Gauge (.156 Pitch)
    Phosphor Bronze - 7A
    Brass - 5A

Molex Trifurcon Crimp Terminal 18 Gauge (.156 Pitch)
    Phosphor Bronze - 7A
    Brass - 5A

Page D3.

http://www.molex.com/catalog/web_catalog/pdfs/D.pdf

#8 4 years ago

Terry, are you saying you're in the always-use-trifurcons camp then?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Dont ever use them on Gottlieb system 1 edge connectors

yeah this ^^^ .. I use them any place they fit.. they dont go in edge connectors

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Terry, are you saying you're in the always-use-trifurcons camp then?

To be honest I just use whatever I have at the moment. As said earlier, there's really no downside to using trifurcon (I've never seen the tight fit issue), but on the other hand I don't think the additional vibration/shock benefit is that big a deal in a home environment. I guess if I was routing them I would probably always use the trifurcon. Not sure it's necessary, but why not for a few pennies more.

#11 4 years ago

I use trifurcon on all standard headers. I'm not stocking multiple connectors even though standard connectors may be fine for some applications. Any issues I've had with removing connections was between the locking header and locking connector housing, not between the header pin and connector.

#12 4 years ago

Terry hit the nail on the head regarding Trifurcon contacts having same current rating but better at handling vibration.
    To add to this - *if* you need a higher current rating then go with box type contacts such as Molex 45570-3050. These are rated up to 13 amps but require you to use the Molex 41695 series plugs.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I disagree somewhat. Trifurcon is only needed on high current pins. I never use trifurcon on signal connectors, just power connectors. Excessive insertion/removal force on large 20pin plugs could be an issue.
    A system 3-7 mpu and driver has so much connector redundancy, you never see burned pins on them. Single wipe is OK on those boards. GI connectors on the other hand... trifurcon.
    Rule of thumb i use for the bally rectifier board. Trifurcon on all the fatter wires with the exception being trifurcon all orange wires. Someone will tell me this is wrong, but that is fine =D.

I, for one, basically agree with you. The other draw back ( in my experience) to using Trifurcon pins everywhere is they can be a real Bitch to get out of the housing should you ever need to do so.

#14 4 years ago

Actually I disagree with Ed and terry. What the numbers don't show is that crimped trifurcons work better in high ambient temperatures. They should always be used where possible.

The box pins are the next step up. But with everyone using LEDs, they are needed far less today.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

To add to this - *if* you need a higher current rating then go with box type contacts such as Molex 45570-3050. These are rated up to 13 amps but require you to use the Molex 41695 series plugs.

I was unable to find any details on the Molex connector:
    0469990101 which requires the specialized housing: 10-11-2053

Specifically it's current carrying capability vs the standard 0.1" single wipe connectors. Does anyone know if they have better current limits?

#16 4 years ago

Thanks for all the great replies.

Ed, do you expect to have trifurcons back in stock soon or should I go ahead and order elsewhere?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Actually I disagree with Ed and terry. What the numbers don't show is that crimped trifurcons work better in high ambient temperatures. They should always be used where possible.

I would be interested in seeing that data. Can you provide a link?

According to the spec sheets I don't see any difference.

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-08-50.pdf

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-40-02.pdf

#18 4 years ago

I just use them on everything.

What could be more vibratey than a pinball machine?

#19 4 years ago

Vid, is that a rhetorical question?

#20 4 years ago

Unfortunately the specs that the manufacturers use are not all that truthful. And what is the worst is don't believe anything that panduit specs say. Molex is slightly better.

I am re pinning connectors every day. I go through 1000s of the trifurcon pins (pinball life is my current supplier for these.) I revisit games with new/old connectors. And from my experience, trifurcons work far better than standard pins or IDc connectors.

#21 4 years ago

IDC style connectors are probably the worst thing that ever hit pinball technology.

#22 4 years ago

Pinball Life only sells one flavor of trifurcon pin, and doesn't specify if it's 18-20 or 22-26. Wonder which one they supply...

Are locking headers/connector housings something to go for, or does it not matter for pinball applications?

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Quoted from xeneize:

Vid, is that a rhetorical question?

I would presume it was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

If not, my guess is a Navy jet landing on an aircraft carrier would be the vibratey winner (or maybe the Space Shuttle).

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My car on Michigan roads in winter. Definitely.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I was unable to find any details on the Molex connector:
    0469990101 which requires the specialized housing: 10-11-2053
    Specifically it's current carrying capability vs the standard 0.1" single wipe connectors. Does anyone know if they have better current limits?

Yeah - 45570-3050 covers 0.156" connectors, 46999-0101 is for 0.1" contacts. It's the 45570-3050 that has the higher than standard current rating.
    The 0.1" box contacts have the exact same current rating as the flat 08-52-0123 type contacts... and uses a different body. I never saw any benefit to carrying the 0.1" box contacts.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Are locking headers/connector housings something to go for, or does it not matter for pinball applications?

Sometimes. If the original was locking, stick with locking. Sometimes the weight of the wiring is enough to pull the plugs off.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The box pins are the next step up. But with everyone using LEDs, they are needed far less today.

Both 08-52-0113 trifurcon and 08-52-0072 flat contacts have the exact same current and temperature ratings. Both of them beat the tin plated brass terminal equivalents quite soundly. So, make sure to get the tin plated phosphor-bronze contacts instead of the tin plated brass.

Box contacts can help in a few locations but for the most part, not worth the expense and trouble. And... Molex is discontinuing them.

#28 4 years ago

Ed what i'm saying is the rating are BS. i know what i see. regular pins don't work in pinball. with ambient temperatures they fail, and somewhat quickly. Trifurcons are a lot more robust. I don't care what their ratings say. I know what i see, almost on a daily basis.

Also i just don't buy current ratings as the same for regular and Trifurcons. Look at a trifurcon. I bet there's about 30% more surface area touching the male pin. i know they rate them the same as regular pins, but that doesn't hold water. my bet was they were just lazy and applied regular pin data to trifurcon. it would be a conservative bet. Or it could be that regular pins are over rated. I don't think there's a huge current difference between the two pins. But there is definitely some difference.

but the thing that i notice is the difference when backbox heat is applied. Regular pins just don't work well.

#29 4 years ago

Gotta agree with Clay on this one. More surface area contact MUST be better than regular pins. They may have the same rating as regular pins but with more surface area for current to flow they should run cooler and therefore last longer before the ol' scorch sets in.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Ed what i'm saying is the rating are BS. i know what i see. regular pins don't work in pinball. with ambient temperatures they fail, and somewhat quickly. Trifurcons are a lot more robust. I don't care what their ratings say. I know what i see, almost on a daily basis.

Yes, I see your point. But, if the parts do have a higher current rating then I see absolutely no reason as to why the manufacturer wouldn't flaunt that. All we know for sure is what the mfr tells us, the rest is speculation.

I prefer the trifurcon contacts as well and the cost is identical for the popular 08-52-0113 so that is what I also use. However, I don't see why the regular contacts would be failing faster. Unless you are using the less expensive tin plated brass instead of the tin plated phosphorous bronze. The brass contacts do have significantly lower current and temperature ratings. If the seller doesn't tell you specifically which contacts they are selling you - there is a good chance that they are selling you the cheaper brass contacts.
    And some people (or at least one person that I know of) keeps pushing Chinese knockoffs - those absolutely SUCK. And the chinese also make trifurcon knockoffs.

#31 4 years ago

do trifurcons come in both varieties, tin plated brass and tin plated bronze? i don't think they do, only come bronze right? another reason to use them...

#32 4 years ago

ALWAYS use Trifurcon.

#33 4 years ago

"We want more"

at-and-t-we-want-more-featuring-beck-bennett-large-7_(resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago

Regardless of the manufacturer specs, Trifurcon female contacts have 3 contact points versus one on a standard connector. This is why they are generally *better* and *usually last longer* than a standard contact. It's simply more surface area. This is slightly advantageous in regards for vibration and in heat dissipation. You get a little oxidation on a male pin, you are going to have better success at passing current with a Trifurcon female on the other end.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

do trifurcons come in both varieties, tin plated brass and tin plated bronze? i don't think they do, only come bronze right? another reason to use them...

Both the standard and trifurcon are available in phosphor bronze and brass. Big difference in specs with the phosphor bronze.

Trifurcon_(resized).jpg

#36 4 years ago

Great info here on topic...and then some:
    http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I am re pinning connectors every day. I go through 1000s of the trifurcon pins (pinball life is my current supplier for these.)

I love pinball life, but if you really are going through thousands of these you should buy them here..

image_(resized).png

#38 4 years ago

man that's a nice-a price-a there!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

man that's a nice-a price-a there!

Verical is heaven once you get into the few-hundred-and-up type of volumes. I go pretty much exclusively there these days. It's a clearance centre, so doesn't always have everything, but the stuff they do have is scorchingly cheap (apologies if I'm preaching to the choir).

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Verical is heaven once you get into the few-hundred-and-up type of volumes. I go pretty much exclusively there these days. It's a clearance centre, so doesn't always have everything, but the stuff they do have is scorchingly cheap.

I just ordered a thousand of them, that is a great deal, thank you for the info

#41 4 years ago

Neat. never heard of verical. i am going to poke around on there.

#42 4 years ago

Verical - it's surplus & clearance stuff. Some prices are great, some are so-so but you always get traceability on all parts you buy (a must if you are a parts reseller). If you can find the right part there, you have a pretty good chance of getting a good price. BUT - speaking from experience, watch carefully the "Ships from" entry if you are buying in the US. A few years back, I brought some transistors over from the UK through Verical.
    If it ships from a foreign country to the US, be prepared for a quite large shipping fee. They ship this stuff using a large shipper (DHL, Fedex, etc) and will run it through customs the proper way. Molex stuff is made in US so no duty fees but the shipper will still charge you a brokerage fee just to get it through customs. Fortunately, the entries shown are shipping from a US source.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Verical is heaven once you get into the few-hundred-and-up type of volumes. I go pretty much exclusively there these days. It's a clearance centre, so doesn't always have everything, but the stuff they do have is scorchingly cheap (apologies if I'm preaching to the choir).

Sweet. Just ordered a lifetime supply for $60.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yep, I've order from there as well. Good for bulk buys on some things. Like the others mentioned, just pay attention to where the items are shipping from and do some math to get the best price per unit since there's usually multiple listings/sellers for one part number.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 163.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 60.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside