(Topic ID: 58194)

When selling machines, do you take out the trash?

By Elfman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When selling machines, do you take out the trash?”

• Yes. I like to give away all my dinged, scratched items to the buyer! 2 votes
      9%
    • Maybe. Sure I'll throw in some dinged balls just to get rid of them but replace the rubbers before I sell. 0 votes
    • Nope. I want to present my machine in the best possible light so I can get my top asking price. 20 votes
      91%

(22 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Elfman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Just curious to know how many of you do this. I have had 2 experiences when picking up a machine from someone. One was a from a fellow pinsider and one was not. The experiences were worlds apart. The pinsider purchase was smooth and described perfectly. (flippers just rebuilt, rubbers could use a replacing, etc.). The other experience was not really bad but it lacked the same sort of "this game is about a 7 but could become an 8 if you do X,Y & Z". It was more like they slapped some Novus on it, put in a few LED's and called it good. The latter machine, the rubbers were cracking, the flipper bats had crusted rubber on them, the balls were beaten to hell and the shooter rod was all gummed up. Got the feeling that they used this opportunity to rotate some of their "less desirable" garbage they had laying around with this machine. If he would have done these things for me, he probably could have asked for an additional $100.

None of these things are deal breakers and not very expensive to fix before selling but do you take on that expense or pass it on to your buyer? Do you put on your most scratched top glass on a machine you are selling or do you try and present your machines in the best possible light?

#8 10 years ago

Yes, apologies if I my wording wasn't clear.

I think of it like this. If you can only have three machines in your collection at once and you have a smoking deal on another one. You pick it up and realize that of the four machines that are in your inventory, ones top glass is noticeably scratched. Before you sell one of your machines, do you swap out the glass and put the scratched glass in the machine you will be selling and keep the better glass for yourself?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Elfman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-selling-machines-do-you-take-out-the-trash?tu=Elfman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.