Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by AlexF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is the use of "Pin Ball" annoying?”

• Yes 3 votes
      7%
    • Heck Yes 4 votes
      9%
    • F$#@%$# YES 14 votes
      31%
    • Meh 24 votes
      53%

(45 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SHORPY-8b15134a (resized).jpg
    20180826_151236 (resized).jpg
    20180714_133919 (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

Who hates it? It messes up my searches

#2 5 years ago

When they say “bumpers” instead of flipper or rubber.

Or when they say “Williams” when you ask what the name of the game
    Is.

#3 5 years ago

I see bumbers a lot too...not sure what those are. I also enjoy seeing flappers instead of flippers.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I see bumbers a lot too...not sure what those are. I also enjoy seeing flappers instead of flippers.

I get that too when someone is describing an issue. Try not to laugh!!!

#5 5 years ago

Back in the old days when we had to search newspaper classifieds for pinballs I used to curse the Kimball piano co.

#6 5 years ago

Pin Ball can get you games that others might overlook because they are using a narrow search parameter.

#7 5 years ago

Heck no!! I prefer it actually........You wouldn't believe the deals I've gotten that way. Bring it on.

John

#8 5 years ago

... could use new rubber bands...

... no low ball offers, I know what it's worth...

but pin ball, nah, not a big one for me.

#9 5 years ago

I have a few tables for sale.

#10 5 years ago

I have gotten a few games that were listed weird like that. Not everyone checks. Also when selling I always include it that way somewhere in the text. So it comes up under either search.

I don't always search for it because I do get sick of sifting through all the trailer hitches trying to find a game.

#11 5 years ago

Cool, I think it's pretty clear that it's not as bad as I thought.

#12 5 years ago

for some reason when I search pin ball on my local craigslist it comes up mostly surfboards.

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Heck no!! I prefer it actually........You wouldn't believe the deals I've gotten that way. Bring it on.
    John

Exactly. Anything that doesn't turn up on the "normal" searches.

Quoted from AlexF:

I don't always search for it because I do get sick of sifting through all the trailer hitches trying to find a game.

Unfortunately, this too.

On the other hand, it's not nearly as bad as sifting through all the "Arcade Fire" tickets when you're looking for video games.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pin Ball can get you games that others might overlook because they are using a narrow search parameter.

Absolutely. Using "Pin Ball" is a clear sign the seller has no idea about anything pinball related. Years ago I responded to a CL ad that was titled, "Pin Ball Machine", that's it. The ad just said it worked, didn't say what game it was or anything about it. It said best offer and had a super tiny blurry picture taken from across the room. I was finally able to figure out it was a Shaq Attaq. I shot him an offer of $250 and he accepted right away. When I picked it up, guy said he won it in a charity auction and it was hardly used. Game worked great, I played it for a bit and let Lloyd put it on route at SS Billiards, then I sold it for a nice profit to a rich family that built out a game room and wanted a pinball machine to go with their multicade, pool table and foosball table.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I have gotten a few games that were listed weird like that. Not everyone checks. Also when selling I always include it that way somewhere in the text. So it comes up under either search.

Yeah exactly, and or sewing machines too.......LOL.

John

#16 5 years ago

That pin ball was working perfectly when I put it in storage 5 years ago and now it will light up but not start a game. I’m sure it’s just a fuse or something similar. These Shaq games are selling on eBay for over $6,000.

LOL

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure can! I love "pin ball". We settled on $500 .

20180714_133919 (resized).png20180714_133919 (resized).png20180826_151236 (resized).jpg20180826_151236 (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago

Think we can get any awesome deals by searching for people's ads for "ping-pong machines"?

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Think we can get any awesome deals by searching for people's ads for "ping-pong machines"?

Here's the CL search string I use. I modified it from the one John's Arcade had to refine a bit:

((pin ball)|(coin operated)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|jamma|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade) -tickets -tix -laundromat -ps4 -xbox

Feel free to tinker as you wish.

Happy hunting!

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Absolutely. Using "Pin Ball" is a clear sign the seller has no idea about anything pinball related.

That's not always the case. A lot of people use their phone to compose and post ad text and between the microphone (dictation) and the auto correct features, all kinds of spelling permutations can happen. I've seen text reconfigure itself just as you press the send button.

#21 5 years ago

Believe it or not, because of a pin ball ad on craigslist, I ended up buying a new building to house my collection!!

A friend saw the mispelled ad and contacted me because he thought I might not have seen it, went to look at the machine and found out the owner was thinking of selling his unit which was almost exactly what I was looking for. Didn't end up buying the machine, but I took possesion of a really great space last month!

#22 5 years ago

Seen plenty of other stuff in pinball ads.

Signed 'Pinball Clemons' CFL photos and mementos. Pachinko machines, some nice ones, and yes they do have pins.
    There are skis branded 'Pinball' or is it a snow board.

#23 5 years ago

shhhhhhh..... that's how I picked up a $100 Pharaoh!

#24 5 years ago

Just about every lyric sheet I've ever seen for The Who's "Pinball Wizard" has it as "...sure plays a mean pin ball." Always found it odd that it's not matched to the song title.

#26 5 years ago

The poll in this thread is definitely skewed.

I don't see to option "no" available in any form.

I also have no clue what a "meh" is. Sounds like what happens when food comes out the same hole it went into.

#27 5 years ago

Now that the cat is out of the bag, i scored a jumping jack and strange world for $250 total...

2 weeks later
    #28 5 years ago

Just posted on Shorpy yesterday. Tattoos and Pin Ball games.
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/23970#

SHORPY-8b15134a (resized).jpgSHORPY-8b15134a (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-sellers-use-pin-ball-instead-of-pinball-when-listing?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.