(Topic ID: 226768)

When sales go wrong... best to try to make it right

By Rdoyle1978

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Well, I just had a buyer who drove up -10- hours to buy a game from me. He paid me a deposit to lock it in, he scheduled well In advance, he brought his kid with him.

I have the game on. We play a couple rounds. Suddenly, it resets. Then it locks. I have not touched this game in weeks, other than to play a couple of balls on it. We spend 3 hours trying to troubleshoot. Probably the CPU board. He sees some corrosion on the board, could be that, could be some bad pins. Wtf. The game has literally never had this problem once before, now it’s flipping out. I know I can fix it so I don’t want to budge much on the price, and who would want to buy a non-working game?

With heavy heart, they decide to leave it. I don’t blame them - I have never felt like a bigger jerk; I’ve just wasted 2 days of their life. Luckily they are gentlemen about it. I guess it’s bound to happen some time. What a shitshow.

#6 5 years ago

We talked about taking some off, but I already came down quite a bit on the price and was losing too much on the sale anyway. I don’t know, maybe I should have done that; I ended up refunding his gas money which came out to about the same. Lol see? When deals go bad

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

2 days driving and no deal over a $300 cpu? My time is worth more than that.

$175 from what I’m seeing. They aren’t as much as the PDB

#10 5 years ago

WPC95 game I had gotten from a friend. I hadn’t really inspected it enough I guess. Absolutely stupid crazy it decided to do this ON THE DAY I am selling it. We just had a little party over the weekend too and it was rock solid.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That really sucks, for all of you.
    You are not a jerk. A jerk would complain that they backed out when it could be fixed. A jerk would not feel guilt.
    You are just a pinball owner. And with pinball, it can work one minute and not the next.

Thanks man

#13 5 years ago

OH! I forgot to mention this: they leave, and the game BOOTS RIGHT UP JUST FINE. maybe it’s haunted. Does that count as a mod?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Perhaps it likes you and wants to stay.

I made that joke while we were troubleshooting, not sure if it was funny or not.

I am serious, I just played 6 games on it and it’s been on for over an hour. WTF for real. Was going to put the $$ towards a new car for my wife. Unbelievable!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Ahhhh thats it. Maybe self consciously you Willed it to break so didn't have to sell your toys for a 5 year car loan!!! lol Does suck but thats pinball. Could have actually turned out worse if it did it when he got it home. That always haunts me. These darn unpredictable toys but we sure do love them!

That's true, for me once I get it home it's my problem - but not everybody is like that. This buyer was an all around good guy though; I don't think he would have given me a hard time. I don't think I've ever had ANY game where at least 1 thing didn't go weird in transport

#25 5 years ago

So, update!

first, I am 100% certain it was not the WPC reset bug, I am pretty experienced with that, and we checked the usual stuff.

This was something with the CPU board or the PDB ribbon cable (although we tried several). I had decided to pay his gas, and this ended up being the the equivalent of the cost of a new board. Got a very cool message this morning that they didn’t want to leave empty handed, so we are square. They just drove off with the game. Good guys, glad this didn’t end up going nasty.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-sales-go-wrong?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.