7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by pinballplusMN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

Well, I just had a buyer who drove up -10- hours to buy a game from me. He paid me a deposit to lock it in, he scheduled well In advance, he brought his kid with him.

I have the game on. We play a couple rounds. Suddenly, it resets. Then it locks. I have not touched this game in weeks, other than to play a couple of balls on it. We spend 3 hours trying to troubleshoot. Probably the CPU board. He sees some corrosion on the board, could be that, could be some bad pins. Wtf. The game has literally never had this problem once before, now it’s flipping out. I know I can fix it so I don’t want to budge much on the price, and who would want to buy a non-working game?

With heavy heart, they decide to leave it. I don’t blame them - I have never felt like a bigger jerk; I’ve just wasted 2 days of their life. Luckily they are gentlemen about it. I guess it’s bound to happen some time. What a shitshow.

#2 7 months ago

That really sucks, for all of you.

You are not a jerk. A jerk would complain that they backed out when it could be fixed. A jerk would not feel guilt.

You are just a pinball owner. And with pinball, it can work one minute and not the next.

#3 7 months ago

That almost happened to me on America's Most Haunted. Some guy drove from Denver to buy it, second game he plays the ball trough plunger link breaks. Luckily I had enough similar spare parts to make it work again.

#4 7 months ago

I would have offered it to them for the price agreed, minus the cost of a new CPU.

#5 7 months ago

2 days driving and no deal over a $300 cpu? My time is worth more than that.

#6 7 months ago

We talked about taking some off, but I already came down quite a bit on the price and was losing too much on the sale anyway. I don’t know, maybe I should have done that; I ended up refunding his gas money which came out to about the same. Lol see? When deals go bad

#7 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

2 days driving and no deal over a $300 cpu? My time is worth more than that.

$175 from what I’m seeing. They aren’t as much as the PDB

#8 7 months ago

I was looking at it from the buyers point of view.

#9 7 months ago

What game?

#10 7 months ago

WPC95 game I had gotten from a friend. I hadn’t really inspected it enough I guess. Absolutely stupid crazy it decided to do this ON THE DAY I am selling it. We just had a little party over the weekend too and it was rock solid.

#11 7 months ago

I had the sound go out on an X-Men arcade I was selling. Never had any issues before that, but wanted to play a final game before the buyer got there. Called the buyer and explained what happened and offered a discount if they were still interested. They took the game at the discounted price, but I felt bad.

Also was on the receiving end several times. All these games were described as working, but when I arrived they had issues. Hardbody wouldn't start when I arrived to pick it up. We messed with it for about 30-minutes, then I finally just made an offer. Buyer accepted. I can't remember exactly what was wrong, but it wasn't anything major. Congo was completely DOA. Again we messed with it and found a ROM in upside down. After that was reinstalled there was still no sound or video. It was a good deal, so I just paid the agreed upon amount and loaded it up. Put a few hundred into it to get it working. F-14 had multiple issues including flippers, pop bumper, and scoring not working. Seller didn't want to budge, but we negotiated it down a very bit. I wish I would have let that one sit. I brought it 90% of the way then passed it along as a partial project to someone else.

#12 7 months ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That really sucks, for all of you.
    You are not a jerk. A jerk would complain that they backed out when it could be fixed. A jerk would not feel guilt.
    You are just a pinball owner. And with pinball, it can work one minute and not the next.

Thanks man

#13 7 months ago

OH! I forgot to mention this: they leave, and the game BOOTS RIGHT UP JUST FINE. maybe it’s haunted. Does that count as a mod?

#14 7 months ago

Perhaps it likes you and wants to stay.

#15 7 months ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I made that joke while we were troubleshooting, not sure if it was funny or not.

I am serious, I just played 6 games on it and it’s been on for over an hour. WTF for real. Was going to put the $$ towards a new car for my wife. Unbelievable!

#16 7 months ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

That's what I was thinking.

#17 7 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I made that joke while we were troubleshooting, not sure if it was funny or not.
    I am serious, I just played 6 games on it and it’s been on for over an hour. WTF for real. Was going to put the $$ towards a new car for my wife. Unbelievable!

Ahhhh thats it. Maybe self consciously you Willed it to break so didn't have to sell your toys for a 5 year car loan!!! lol Does suck but thats pinball. Could have actually turned out worse if it did it when he got it home. That always haunts me. These darn unpredictable toys but we sure do love them!

#18 7 months ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Ahhhh thats it. Maybe self consciously you Willed it to break so didn't have to sell your toys for a 5 year car loan!!! lol Does suck but thats pinball. Could have actually turned out worse if it did it when he got it home. That always haunts me. These darn unpredictable toys but we sure do love them!

That's true, for me once I get it home it's my problem - but not everybody is like that. This buyer was an all around good guy though; I don't think he would have given me a hard time. I don't think I've ever had ANY game where at least 1 thing didn't go weird in transport

#19 7 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's true, for me once I get it home it's my problem - but not everybody is like that. This buyer was an all around good guy though; I don't think he would have given me a hard time. I don't think I've ever had ANY game where at least 1 thing didn't go weird in transport

Thats me also, you just know anything can happen. I have however sold games that haunted me forever getting a call even when a bulb would go out. Pretty cool that you helped him out with gas, most would have just shrugged it off. Class play.

#20 7 months ago

I had a customer come out to my old store and wanted the getaway. After playing for a while he comes by the office and says the game has an issue.
    The flipper bat sheared off and was in the super charger.
    Unfortunately he left and didnt buy anything.
    Happens sometimes with pinball.

#21 7 months ago

Did you have another game you could swap the board with and then you could have fixed your bad board? Other than that I would have offered to take off the cost of a replacement and keep the original? Other than that half the cost of a new board and they keep both. They did drive 20 hours!
    Any of those solutions seem fair to me.

#22 7 months ago

Could have been the wpc reset demon showing itself. Swapping out a few caps and a few bridges takes care of that. Inexpensive issue if ya can do the labor yourself.

#23 7 months ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Could have been the wpc reset demon showing itself. Swapping out a few caps and a few bridges takes care of that. Inexpensive issue if ya can do the labor yourself.

Assume nothing, follow the established troubleshooting procedures to find the real issue:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm#reset

#24 7 months ago

Kudos to both parties for not letting this hiccup devolve into an argument. Probably better that it happened when it did than, say, the day after he brought it home, then you receive an irate phone call and who knows what happens next.

#25 7 months ago

So, update!

first, I am 100% certain it was not the WPC reset bug, I am pretty experienced with that, and we checked the usual stuff.

This was something with the CPU board or the PDB ribbon cable (although we tried several). I had decided to pay his gas, and this ended up being the the equivalent of the cost of a new board. Got a very cool message this morning that they didn’t want to leave empty handed, so we are square. They just drove off with the game. Good guys, glad this didn’t end up going nasty.

#26 7 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got a very cool message this morning that they didn’t want to leave empty handed, so we are square. They just drove off with the game. Good guys, glad this didn’t end up going nasty.

Glad this worked out for everyone. Congrats.

#27 7 months ago

That's great news!! A+ seller you are sir!

#28 7 months ago

Similar but not exactly. I was selling a players quality JM to a relative newbie. He came to the house and luckily played the game for about half hour and all worked. I told him to call with any questions. He took the game home, set it up and right away the hand didn't work and I think it had some GI issues. F Me. I felt bad. He was really cool about it and we started trouble shooting over the phone. GI problem found fairly easily (loose connection) , the hand problem took a few days. Again he was cool. Due to some bad experiences of my own, I told him I would refund his money. He stuck with it tho and eventually found a wire that must have severed coming out of the hand behind the play field back plate during transportation.. All was good and I was relieved.

#29 7 months ago

I have actually had it happen twice. Once I was selling a guy two games and the day he was picking them up both games starting doing weird stuff. He was local so I told him if he wanted to take them anyway I would pay my buddy Jim (JT Amusements) to go fix them if he had a problem when he got them home. That evening I was watching the news and found out there was a power issue in our area that afternoon (basically a brown out with low voltage going to houses). So that explained that one! Guy has had machines over two years with no other issues until recently so Jim did finally end up with a service call out of the deal but not at my expense.

Second one was a Close Encounters from our collection. Guy came out looked at the game & loved it. He played it for a while then started messing with things trying different dip switch setting etc and every feature worked perfectly. Than all of a sudden sound died. We spent over an hour trying to get sound back - different sound board, different speaker, etc. He went home without the machine then we discovered when machine was built (like 40 years earlier) the crimp connector by the speaker was crimped over the plastic on the wire and only had one strand of wire connected. How did the sound work for 40 years like that and then the day we were selling the game it finally gives out?

We all have to remember when these machines were built they were suppose to last 4 or 5 years then be replaced. 25, 30, 40, and even 50 years later we are still trying to keep them working 100%. Like old cars - there will be issues!

#30 7 months ago

With 50+ games sold, it’s really only happened to me once. Firepower sound board blew up on the first game. I threw a known working board in it and all was well but I’m certain that the buyer who drive 100+ miles thought I was an idiot. He declined to buy the game without working sound which is fine, I just felt bad about the situation.

Someone looking for a good players FP in Florida ended up buying it so it all wok out in the end.

#31 7 months ago

Maybe the game if out in the garage or plugged into a different circuit with low ac voltage caused the issue?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 208.87
    $ 64.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside