2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2F9F8BB0-6D03-4FBD-8A1E-F9B819B94D2F (resized).jpeg
    B9F7613A-C8B0-4E0C-A5BB-FC95ACB3CA51 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

sand the entire thing down to bare wood or just sand smooth and repaint over the original paint? My process on all the cabs I have done is a completely strip off all paint down to bare wood, bondo, sand, etc. till ready then primer/paint / stencils/etc.. However some people have suggested that's really not needed as you can just sand the original paint smooth then continue the process. My preference is to completely strip it but maybe I'm over doing it? My end result is beautiful but I just wanted to get a feel for what others do.. thanks

#2 2 years ago

PinballPimp uses acetone to remove paint. The advantage is that it won’t remove any of the wood grain. Downside is that is very caustic and flammable. You need to buy good protective rubber gloves. I remember seeing a video so check YouTube.

#3 2 years ago

One way or another get it down to bare wood and start your work with a fresh canvass.
    -Mike

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

PinballPimp uses acetone to remove paint. The advantage is that it won’t remove any of the wood grain. Downside is that is very caustic and flammable

I’ve seen this.

I always just sand the cabinet. It needs sanding anyway. Yes - it takes longer. But IMO it comes up better.

I had to use stripper and then Acetone on a Stars cabinet a few weeks ago, as it had been painted with a few different layers of paint that had fused into some unsandable mush.

The downside is that the plywood gets wet.

As a woodworker, you know you want to keep wood dry, or else it raises the grain (and in this case, the plys)

The acetone method definitely worked as described. However, where I used it I noticed the crappy Stern plywood plys separated probably due to the moisture. That created more work as I then had to sand and fill all the cracks.

I appreciate it is an easier method.

However for me, I’ll just spend the 2 hours sanding the cab.

rd

#5 2 years ago

I haven't done that many, but I just sand it smooth with 150 grit to give the primer a good bite. If there's some artwork left after the sanding then so be it. It's been there 30+ years. It's not going anywhere.

Taking it down to bare wood IMHO is just a waste of time unless there's a good reason to do so.

-Paul

#6 2 years ago

I take it down to the bare wood. Start with 60 grit on the random orbital sander. Then 150 grit. Then bondo. Then 150 grit and 200 grit.
    Prime. Light sanding. Prime again if necessary. Light sanding. Then paint with stencils.
    Comes out beautiful every time!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Taking it down to bare wood IMHO is just a waste of time unless there's a good reason to do so.

Depends what you want.

If you just want the standard Pinside “wow, look at my restore thread. I painted the cabinet with rattle cans!! And there’s marks and cracks all over the cabinet that I never filled and they look like shit!!” then the less work the better.

If you want it to be an A-Grade restore then it wants to be as flat as possible, filled, sanded, filled some more, sanded some more, etc etc.

Then you want to prime and paint the cabinet in a booth in 2k.

These days, if I’m gonna spend 10 hours doing a half ass job, I’d rather spend 12/13 hours and make it a mint job.

rd
    B9F7613A-C8B0-4E0C-A5BB-FC95ACB3CA51 (resized).jpegB9F7613A-C8B0-4E0C-A5BB-FC95ACB3CA51 (resized).jpeg2F9F8BB0-6D03-4FBD-8A1E-F9B819B94D2F (resized).jpeg2F9F8BB0-6D03-4FBD-8A1E-F9B819B94D2F (resized).jpeg

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Depends what you want.
    If you want it to be an A-Grade restore then it wants to be as flat as possible or, filled, sanded, filled some more, sanded some more, etc etc.
    Then you want to prime and paint the cabinet in a booth in 2k.
    These days, if I’m gonna spend 10 hours doing a half ass job, I’d rather spend 12/13 hours and make it a mint job.
    rd[quoted image][quoted image]

So you're saying it can't be perfectly flat if there's some of the original artwork left?

-Paul

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

So you're saying it can't be perfectly flat if there's some of the original artwork left?
    -Paul

No - it can be, of course. Depends on the machine, and the condition of the original paint.

The machines I’ve restored were generally so beaten that by the time you’ve finished sanding it smooth, there’s no old stuff left.

rd

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-repainting-a-cabinet-do-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.