Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190508_213759 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCRand.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Been refurb'ing machines for about 3 years now, probably about 20 games. When get a project game, sometimes work on all the electrical problems and get it working, then do all the cosmetic fixes. But sometimes work on the cosmetics first, ie: playfield touch up, cleaning and polishing everything, etc, then after looking good - track down and fix any remaining electrical issues. I find sometimes cleaning up fixes electrical problems, and sometimes creates new ones. Keep in mind, I am not doing full restorations - way beyond my current skill set.

So what do the rest of you do? Get it looking good or working good first, or both at the same time (which I haven't been able to do yet). Still consider myself a newbie, so really interested in any suggestions.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Generally electrical first. This way you can man-handle it to get it running without worrying about the finish of it. Also, when you are ready to do the cosmetics you may think everything is hunky dory, but when you start tearing stuff apart and really looking close at everything... you may find even more things that need to be addressed (odd hacks, weak components, etc...). So don't be surprised if you are going to need to revisit electrical fixes again anyway.

Thanks and this is what prompted the question. Often have to fix new and fun electrical problems after cosmetic work.

#32 4 years ago

Thanks everyone great insights.

6 months later
    #42 4 years ago

Follow up: So after all the good advice, decided from now on, get it working first. Currently Gottlieb 1970 Baseball. Was a mess both electrically and cosmetically. After much chasing down multiple electrical / mechanical / and especially score reel and base runner problems -- got it working great. Then tore it down to fix cosmetics. About 90 percent done now, plugged in last night and started a game to check for bulb outages and sure enough, score motor spins like a carousel. Oh well, .........

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCRand.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-refurbishing-cosmetics-first-or-electrical-first?tu=DCRand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.