(Topic ID: 320823)

Changing the game.... or is it a game changer?

By MrBigg

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 351 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 days ago by cwg29
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What was the hardest part in your homebrew build?”

• Playfield layout, and cutting 13 votes
      34%
    • Cpu repurposing, and wiring 14 votes
      37%
    • Finding items for your build 2 votes
      5%
    • Theme, and design 1 vote
      3%
    • Graphics for you cabinet, playfield, and back glass 8 votes
      21%

(38 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230818_130854 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151858 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151844 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151911 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151817 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151827 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151805 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_173113_Messenger (resized).jpg
    20230610_162316 (resized).jpg
    20230610_162310 (resized).jpg
    20230604_090718 (resized).jpg
    20230604_090729 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183633 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183428 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183402 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183453 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thatonedude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 1 year ago

Get a cobrapin and use a raspberry pi or something to write rules in mission pinball framework. It will save you a ton of time.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I have no idea what you just told me, but it sounds really cool.

Cobrapin: https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=CobraPin
    You can order them from a pinsider:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1254-cobra-amusements

It's a controller for homebrew pinball games. Cheap and works great. You can then use a small computer, like a Raspberry Pi or something of that nature, to run rules to control this system using the python based Mission Pinball Framework.
    https://missionpinball.org/

You will wire your lamps, coils and switches to the controller, then write a simple configuration to make the rules. This approach will save you months, if not years, of development time.

Read up on cobrapin projects here on pinside. I did a Middle Earth rebuild with the cobrapin hardware and Mission Pinball Framework.

There are other homebrew systems, like the P3-ROC, that you could look into as well that can also be driven by Mission Pinball Framework.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

You are so far over my head I had to sit down to finish reading that. I'll check it out, but I think until my skills progress, I'm going to stick with my easy version of this plan.

That's cool. Just suggesting an easier route.
    It's funny that you mentioned your custom guitar business. I'm down to tear into pinball machines with wild abandonment, but I'm agonizing over rebuilding my old guitar from high school.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I think it comes down to one thing... our comfort level. Everything you mentioned about new programming is so far out of my comfort zone, that I'm not prepared, nor get what's going on yet. However, I've built so many guitars, and repaired so many, that it is second nature to me. I just know how all the workings are, and I'm completely in my zone. I'd assume that it's the same for you with pinball?

Pretty much. The idea of reusing the old controller hardware seems to me to be a bigger headache, since you will be dealing with bad connections, broken solder joints, missing or added mechs, switches and/or lamps, etc. I think that if you go with a different controller and rework the wiring harness, you will have an easier time, even with a learning curve on the programming side. That's my approach when rebuilding a game like this(look at my work on Middle Earth, for example).
    But, I'm rooting for you either way, and will keep an this project!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thatonedude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-rain-washes-away-the-game?tu=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.