(Topic ID: 320823)

Changing the game.... or is it a game changer?

By MrBigg

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 351 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by cwg29
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What was the hardest part in your homebrew build?”

• Playfield layout, and cutting 13 votes
      34%
    • Cpu repurposing, and wiring 14 votes
      37%
    • Finding items for your build 2 votes
      5%
    • Theme, and design 1 vote
      3%
    • Graphics for you cabinet, playfield, and back glass 8 votes
      21%

(38 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230818_130854 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151858 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151844 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151911 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151817 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151827 (resized).jpg
    20240309_151805 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_173113_Messenger (resized).jpg
    20230610_162316 (resized).jpg
    20230610_162310 (resized).jpg
    20230604_090718 (resized).jpg
    20230604_090729 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183633 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183428 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183402 (resized).jpg
    20230530_183453 (resized).jpg
    There are 351 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
    #251 1 year ago

D0B547BF-F3BD-4D0B-AC60-8C758C771144.gifD0B547BF-F3BD-4D0B-AC60-8C758C771144.gif

#252 1 year ago

I hope for you it was not a major issue, like something burning or exploding....

#253 1 year ago

Video to come on the outcome...

#254 1 year ago

OK so I'm definitely having some issues, and glitches. Game starts, ball kicks out.

No pops, or kickers, only flippers, which trigger the pops intermittently.

Gi works great, special lighting and score reels are glitchy, and dim. So wiring or ground issue there.
    A few of the new switches aren't registering as well.

No smoke, no fires, no blown fuses.
    So I'll need a Saturday, or weekend to do some testing.

#255 1 year ago

Well I fixed my pop bumpers, my kickers, and a couple other items.

Having issues with special lighting still, and my left flippers are intermittent when used. About every 3 or 4 button pushes.
    Other than those two items, and finishing up sound, I've about got it licked I think.

Any suggestions on that flipper issue?

#256 1 year ago

It’s always a good day when you flip for the first time. Lookin good. I’m sure you’ll figure out the issues. Could the flipper issue be as simple as a flaky leaf switch. Or loose ground?

#257 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It’s always a good day when you flip for the first time. Lookin good. I’m sure you’ll figure out the issues. Could the flipper issue be as simple as a flaky leaf switch. Or loose ground?

Not sure yet. I've checked my solder joints, and leaf switches. Possible I have a bad diode, or something else. I think I'm getting weird voltage across my left flipper switch as well.

#258 1 year ago

After talking to several homebrewers, and how much info is available out there, I pulled the trigger on a starter 3D printer. Just came today, and excited to see what I can do, and make.

Had to step away from my pin for a few days, I'm getting cross-eyed staring at wires.

20230328_183352 (resized).jpg20230328_183352 (resized).jpg
    #259 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

After talking to several homebrewers, and how much info is available out there, I pulled the trigger on a starter 3D printer. Just came today, and excited to see what I can do, and make.
    Had to step away from my pin for a few days, I'm getting cross-eyed staring at wires.
    [quoted image]

Best decision ever!

#260 1 year ago

Installed my lightning balls that are sound activated in the back of the cabinet last night. These look really cool, and have excellent colors, and sound reaction.

I'll be assembling my 3D printer as well today.

20230331_174214 (resized).jpg20230331_174214 (resized).jpg20230331_174234 (resized).jpg20230331_174234 (resized).jpg
    #261 1 year ago

Can you explain a little what are those "balls" ?
    Are they independant ?
    Wired to the program ?

#262 1 year ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Can you explain a little what are those "balls" ?
    Are they independant ?
    Wired to the program ?

A lightning/plasma ball is a gas charged glass that allows electricity to travel around inside the glass. It will follow your finger if you touch the glass. They can also be set to move to sound, which is what I'm doing. The don't need to be tied into the game unless you want them to come on for a need, such as multiball, extra ball, etc. Mine will just be on from a independent power supply. Google plasma ball lamp, and you'll get a lot more info

#263 1 year ago

Do they create RF interference that interferes (buzz, his or other noise) with your systems stereo amplifier?

#264 1 year ago

Do they create RF interference that interferes (buzz, his or other noise) with your systems stereo

. They will still follow your finger, etc, but they are completely safe, low voltage (1.5 volts DC), and are quiet. Since I wasn't sure when I first bought them, I pre-ordered a 12vdc to 1.5vdc step-down good to 2 amps with a built in filter to be safe, but they were fine, and the filter probably wasn't necessary.

#265 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

These particular ones do not, as they are not a high voltage type plasma. They will still follow your finger, etc, but they are completely safe, low voltage (1.5 volts DC), and are quiet. Since I wasn't sure when I first bought them, I pre-ordered a 12vdc to 1.5vdc step-down good to 2 amps with a built in filter to be safe, but they were fine, and the filter probably wasn't necessary.

#266 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Do they create RF interference that interferes (buzz, his or other noise) with your systems stereo amplifier?

They do not, as these are very low voltage plasma lights (1.5vdc )
    I used a step down 12vdc to 1.5vdc with a filter cap just in case, but I doubt that was necessary as they don't use much amperage.
    They are also completely isolated in the circuit with the step down.
    Good question though. I'd ass4the high powered ones would be a disaster in a pinball. These would be awesome pop bumper tops.

#267 1 year ago

Yeah- they are def cool! A company actually already sells them as pop tops. Spendy tho from them

#268 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah- they are def cool! A company actually already sells them as pop tops. Spendy tho from them

These were about $12 each, so I could convert them much cheaper than buying thise others

#269 1 year ago

Do you have a link on them, I’m thinking of doing a CERN or fermi lab theme pin, and they would indeed be perfect pops.

#270 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Do you have a link on them, I’m thinking of doing a CERN or fermi lab theme pin, and they would indeed be perfect pops.

They are all over ebay, and amazon with different sizes, and shapes. Here's an ebay link for you...
    ebay.com link: itm

#271 1 year ago

Is the plastic thick enough for these to be used as inserts? Obviously the bottom would have to be modified but I'm seeing possibilities.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 8.15.15 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-04-10 at 8.15.15 AM (resized).png
    #272 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Is the plastic thick enough for these to be used as inserts? Obviously the bottom would have to be modified but I'm seeing possibilities.
    [quoted image]

Its not plastic, it's actual sealed glass, and downside is the glass is rounded on the edges. That said the fix is matching the bevel in the wood from underneath, and using a reverse edging router bit. Or simply use a piece of lexan from top, istall light underneath. The plastic back is a battery box that can be Removed, as I hard soldered my power into them. 1.5vdc

I'll be using more of these in the future as well, very cool effect on a pin.
    Would be cool behind a group of targets, with glass sticking through playfield to match the height of the targets.

#273 1 year ago

loved your podcast interview with Dan on TPN!!!

#274 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaddyManD:

loved your podcast interview with Dan on TPN!!!

Super cool, ty! It was an honor, and very fun. Dan Rosenstein is a super great guy. It was awesome getting to share my view, and take aways on the homebrew experience.

#276 1 year ago

Absolutely amazing work! Your willpower to see this project through, even after dropping the playfield, is inspiring to say the least! I have really enjoyed silently following this thread. Your game is seriously gorgeous. Please keep the updates coming!

#277 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Absolutely amazing work! Your willpower to see this project through, even after dropping the playfield, is inspiring to say the least! I have really enjoyed silently following this thread. Your game is seriously gorgeous. Please keep the updates coming!

Thank you for the kind words, and the encouragement. These builds are fun in the areas we are good at, but tough in the areas we don't excel.. At the end of the day, good or bad, it's about the love of the game, and the build.
    Have a great day, and thanks again.

#278 1 year ago

Listening to ur podcast interview as I was just cleaning my garage last night lol

#279 1 year ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Listening to ur podcast interview as I was just cleaning my garage last night lol

What did you think?

#280 1 year ago

So today I spent the morning chasing ghosts, and found my first one after a couple hours of frustration, and no signs of issues on my flipper wiring.
    I have the dual eos switches because I'm running 4 flippers, and my left side was intermittent, maybe every 3 or 4 button pushes it would flip.
    So I checked voltages, and good, checked wiring, and good, checked switches, and they ohmed out good.
    So after all that, I stated checking the coil, the diodes, connections, etc.

The eos has a normally open side, and a normally closed side and when I would hold the button and tap the eos, it would flip.
    Turned out, even though the normally closed side ohmed out, and appeared ok, it was not making good enough contact to energize the coil. Cleaned it, adjusted the flaps, and tah-dah!
    We have left flippers. Anyway, I ordered new ones just in case. Those bally flippers look like they had a hard life, so I'll change them out.

So tomorrow ill start on my crazy special lighting issue. They come on dim with no ground connected, and not at all with ground connected. That one is really weird!!!

Made some ground today though.

#281 1 year ago

The plasma balls installed look good, but hard to see while everything is lit up. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.

20230415_140515 (resized).jpg20230415_140515 (resized).jpg20230415_140530 (resized).jpg20230415_140530 (resized).jpg
    #282 1 year ago

Have you filmed any video of game play yet?

#283 12 months ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Have you filmed any video of game play yet?

Yes, but I've got to redo it. I'm still finding small issues. Fixed the flippers, fixed the pop issue, but my outlane switches are bad, and causing all kinds of crazy. I think my last 2 issues are those switches, and my special lighting being very dim.

I'm finally making some headway on "ghosts in the machine".

#284 12 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

So tomorrow ill start on my crazy special lighting issue. They come on dim with no ground connected, and not at all with ground connected. That one is really weird!!!

Good luck with that one. If it’s not a simple short across another circuit then could it be a bad diode? It’s odd that it shorts when grounded but works dimly without one. I’d double check that a light isn’t touching a switch somewhere

#285 12 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I'm still finding small issues. I'm finally making some headway on "ghosts in the machine".

If I were you, I'd complain to the game's manufacturer about the issues you've been having.

#286 12 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

If I were you, I'd complain to the game's manufacturer about the issues you've been having.

I have sent an email to the quality control dept, but have had no reply. Customer service from this pinball manufacturer is very poor. I'll follow up if I receive any info from Bigg Deal Customs gaming LLC.

#287 12 months ago

Good luck with that one. If it’s not a simple short across another circuit then could it be a bad diode? It’s odd that it shorts when grounded but works dimly without one. I’d double check that a light isn’t touching a switch somewhere

I think after more research on how bally style boards work, I may have wired every light backwards. I soldered all my negatives together, and triggered the positives. From the info I have been finding, and a friend helping me, bally triggers the ground, and ties all the + sides together.

May be a bunch of resoldering in my future, ugh!

#289 12 months ago

Well I'm back on the rotisserie, and rewiring special lighting.
    Turns out this type of lighting controller works totally opposite of what "I assumed".

Hots all tie across each light, and are triggered by a ground from the board.
    I of course had all the grounds tied together, and the positive leads trying to trigger.
    Lesson learned, and pinball is hard.

20230420_172459 (resized).jpg20230420_172459 (resized).jpg20230420_172505 (resized).jpg20230420_172505 (resized).jpg
    #290 12 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Thank you very much. The first playfield I dropped was nice, but the better neck paint, more detail in the flames, and other spots had me worried it would be too busy as well on the second playfield.
    Overall though like you, I'm super happy with how 2.0 turned out with everything installed.
    1 minor flub I made, when I measured my outlane guides, I didn't have rubber on my bottom flippers, and they aren't smooth where ball roll onto flippers. I'll have to redo those, but otherwise, so far everything else works great.

Glad you kept with it

#291 11 months ago

Here's the YouTube version for all those who couldn't check it out in other forms. TBN was a bit behind, but all good now. Thanks for listening

#292 11 months ago

Major breakthrough today, and some serious progress accomplished!
    Special lighting is fixed, and perimeter lights are working correctly!
    Lane switches were also replaced with jjp and are working correctly as well.
    Down to a few small bugs, then I can start taking care of the last few items...
    Thanks, and I mean Bigg thanks to @ArureOz for all his help and patience with me.

#293 11 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Major breakthrough today, and some serious progress accomplished!
    Special lighting is fixed, and perimeter lights are working correctly!
    Lane switches were also replaced with jjp and are working correctly as well.
    Down to a few small bugs, then I can start taking care of the last few items...
    Thanks, and I mean Bigg thanks to @ArureOz for all his help and patience with me.

It has been my pleasure to be able to offer assistance with some remote troubleshooting suggestions.
    That game you have made and it's playfield with all the lamps working is looking fantastic.

#294 11 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

It has been my pleasure to be able to offer assistance with some remote troubleshooting suggestions.
    That game you have made and it's playfield with all the lamps working is looking fantastic.

Well I never take credit for things I didn't do alone. And the lights are our win together. I really appreciate my connection down under

#295 11 months ago

Beautiful !
    The color, the lights, it's an amazing result !

#296 11 months ago

Heck yeah, looks great

#297 11 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Beautiful !
    The color, the lights, it's an amazing result !

Heck yeah, looks great

Thanks guys. Looks like a ghost making my left pop just randomly pop at will, and reset my cpu.
    Once I find that, I have 2 special lights to wire, finish my sound card, and finish painting the cabinet to call it a wrap.
    This has been an up and down adventure for sure.

#298 11 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I have 2 lights to wire and finish painting the cabinet to call it a wrap.

The playfield artwork may be a bit too racy. It looks like the guitar is only wearing a G-string.

#299 11 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

What about adding custom call-outs from a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul ?

That maybe the most sacrilegious post I have ever seen on pinside... kinda like putting a camaro front end on your stang lol.

Not sure how you found me Cammi, but I do enjoy your sense of humor.

#300 11 months ago

Below is a summary of the BDC Flipper wiring for reference.

Schematic_BDC Flipper Wiring_2023-04-27.pdfSchematic_BDC Flipper Wiring_2023-04-27.pdf

There are 351 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-rain-washes-away-the-game/page/6?hl=stefanmader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.