(Topic ID: 320823)

Changing the game.... or is it a game changer?

By MrBigg

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What was the hardest part in your homebrew build?”

• Playfield layout, and cutting 8 votes
    33%
  • Cpu repurposing, and wiring 8 votes
    33%
  • Finding items for your build 2 votes
    8%
  • Theme, and design 1 vote
    4%
  • Graphics for you cabinet, playfield, and back glass 5 votes
    21%

(24 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221128_174630 (resized).jpg
20221126_131036 (resized).jpg
20221126_130339 (resized).jpg
20221126_130324 (resized).jpg
20221126_130310 (resized).jpg
20221125_112332 (resized).jpg
20221125_193505 (resized).jpg
20221124_165204 (resized).jpg
20221124_155159 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221124_081950_Chrome (resized).jpg
roses-of-success-chitty-chitty-band-bang (resized).jpg
20221123_173940 (resized).jpg
20221123_180846 (resized).jpg
20221119_112820 (resized).jpg
20221119_112706 (resized).jpg
20221119_112654 (resized).jpg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 days ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

OK, I'm done mourning, and got another sheet of Whitewood. So here we go BDC Pin version 2.0

Already have better ideas...

Good for you! To quote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang "From the Ashes of Disaster Grow the Roses of Success"!

roses-of-success-chitty-chitty-band-bang (resized).jpg
#102 7 days ago

that was faster than I expected hahha! Did you already playtest your design a bunch, or were you winging where some things were going? Your old PF still looks servicable if not.. I would suggest finishing the wiring on it as you woudl transfer that over anyway - and doing some playtesting of shots off the flippers to see about adjusting things. Just a thought... maybe you already did a lot of testing and I missed it though.

#103 7 days ago

Great to hear you picked this project up again! I actually thought about your woodworking skills today as I finished up a really amateur looking contraption I built.

#104 7 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Good for you! To quote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang "From the Ashes of Disaster Grow the Roses of Success"!
[quoted image]

That is a blast from the past! Btw looking back that was a horrible movie for a child to watch, lol

#105 7 days ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

that was faster than I expected hahha! Did you already playtest your design a bunch, or were you winging where some things were going? Your old PF still looks servicable if not.. I would suggest finishing the wiring on it as you woudl transfer that over anyway - and doing some playtesting of shots off the flippers to see about adjusting things. Just a thought... maybe you already did a lot of testing and I missed it though.

So originally this was only, I repeat only a retheme... but, being the disaster I am, since it was too far gone, I took it upon myself to build a custom playfield, "just moving a few things around". We'll I went way past that as I always do, and boom, got in trouble.
The old playfield showed more cracks yesterday, and is bucked, and warped as well, so it will end up a wall hanger as my first, in my shop. It's worse than the pictures show.

Fortunately I only had the wiring started on GI and special lighting so I will transfer that, however with changes being made, I'm afraid some of the other wiring might be too short, or long, so I'll wait.

Haven't used flippers with power, but I have "thrown" the ball, and some of my old playfield shots were just not doable with addition of the ramp, and upper pick playfield. However, I am taking all that into account this go around with a sim, and since I have all the parts, will do a layout only, and fix those issues. This will be better, as I'm not blind going in this time. Now I have enough knowledge to be tremendously dangerous to myself!
Thanks for the input, and for following

#106 7 days ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Great to hear you picked this project up again! I actually thought about your woodworking skills today as I finished up a really amateur looking contraption I built.

My Girlfriend threatened me, and after a few days, I realized how many people were cheering me on locally, and how bad I want this, so here we go again.
At least this time, I have a little better understanding of what the heck is going on.

What kind of "contraption" were you building?
And here's my latest wood working skills, it turned out really nice...

Screenshot_20221124_081950_Chrome (resized).jpg
#107 7 days ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

OK, I'm done mourning, and got another sheet of Whitewood. So here we go BDC Pin version 2.0
Already have better ideas...

You love to see it.

#108 6 days ago

Intrigued. How are you doing your lights around the orbit?

#109 6 days ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

They will be in the blocking the same way all the way around with LED rgb strip lights, then there will be 4 acrylic tubes coming through the playfield in each corner with lights in them under the playfield.
The holes are drilled now so you can kind of see.

20221124_155159 (resized).jpg20221124_165204 (resized).jpg
#110 6 days ago

I’m even more excited to see this come together now.

#111 5 days ago

Lots of drilling and cutting today
Wish you could post videos here because my ramp, and upper tier finally, actually work!
Had to cut a new pick without a hole in it, but we'll worth it to see the ramp, and wire form, actually take a ball, and work.
This one is already way better in just its form than the one I dropped, and broke..

20221125_112332 (resized).jpg20221125_193505 (resized).jpg
#113 5 days ago

More layout, drilled the plexi to accommodate the acrylic tubes coming through for supports, which I think looks really cool, can't wait to see those light up.
More plastic cut, and things are coming together.
Took some angle pics to show the tubes, and support work.
Center piece will no longer be a loop, or half circle ball guide, but will now feature an angle pass through on both sides to direct shots to the back.
However they will be narrow entrances like the small half circle was.

20221126_130310 (resized).jpg20221126_130324 (resized).jpg20221126_130339 (resized).jpg20221126_131036 (resized).jpg

#114 4 days ago

Nice wireworm. Where from?

#115 4 days ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Nice wireworm. Where from?

Marcos specialties, but that's not the shape it came in. It was like a roller coaster.
Had to flatten it out, cut it, and flair the end. There's not much too these now that I have a couple, I'll probably build them next time.

#116 4 days ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

You can probably see it better in this latest round of pics, but it'll become more clear as I cut the rod for the holes that are si ilar to the supports.
Only difference is they won't go through the lexan like they did.

#117 4 days ago

Love what I've read so far!

Do you have a link to the Bluetooth sound board you have pictured here? I'm curious what it is and what it can do.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

Quoted from MrBigg:

So let's continue with better news... I finished the coney island, and yes, it's a full restore nearly now, minus a bit of touch up on new wood installed in the back box. I'm knee deep into the Bigg Deal Cutoms build now, and I'll share some cabinet photos to keep this moving along, as well as a bluetooth custom sound generator, and music player that can be used for the machine sounds, as well as using it as a juke box when the game is not in play.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#118 3 days ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Love what I've read so far!
Do you have a link to the Bluetooth sound board you have pictured here? I'm curious what it is and what it can do.
Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

I bought it on parts express website, but they have since sold out. This is the same thing basically except mine doesn't have a flash drive.
https://www.parts-express.com/TPA3116-4.2-Bluetooth-2.1-50W-x-2-100W-Amp-Board-with-FM-AUX-In-and-USB-Media-Player-IR-R-320-622?quantity=1

Thanks for checking out the thread, it's been an up and down first experience for sure.

#119 22 hours ago

Well I'm back to working on special lighting layout, and position of the guitar necks. Slow progress at this point due to a bit of rearranging layout. Making sure I don't have lights, or holes where drop, or coil mechanisms are located

20221128_174630 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Cabinet Parts
Wire-Bot
Cabinet parts
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!