Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Animated GIF (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rbviessman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I’m looking down the top 100 and I can only laugh. We have too many non-objective, whiny members creating rankings. Just a couple that caught my eye. I see Oktoberfest at 82 and Pinbot at 81. Then I look up the new JJP game, Toy Story 4 and find it at 150.

Example: Artwork on Pinbot is 8.066 and Artwork on Toy Story 4 is 8.329.
    Here’s one that really has to make you laugh. Music on Pinbot is 7.476 and Toy Story 4 7.506. That’s hilarious
    Several of the overall ratings on TS4 are in the 5.x level. Please.

I pick on TS4 because I know what’s going on behind they ratings. Members intentionally trash the ratings because they are mad the game was based on the 4th movie. They are upset the game costs $12k.

Suggestions:
    People may say the games of today have a different standard, then 1) throw out all rankings that are over a few years old. 2) Force people to review each ranking after a couple years, basically tell them the rankings will be dropped if not updated.

Members intentionally rate a game low because they are petty. 1) throw out rankings a certain deviation below the standard. 2) Ask the member how many games they’ve played, reduce impact of rating for low plays and increase for higher number of plays. 3) Ask member how in depth they know the rule set, decrease or increase rating impact appropriately.

Let’s have a truly useful rating system.

#10 1 year ago

Sounds like many people have given up on the system. Too bad. Just keep in mind this is seen by those just getting into pinball as well. I certainly can judge a good game on my own. I would just hope our community would be much less biased.

Too bad we can’t do better as veteran pinball players.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Two buddies of mine are insane players. They absolutely kick ass at pinball. The are easily top 100 players in the world.
    We are talking marathon 45 min balls and get 4-5 replays IN A SINGLE GAME.
    They refuse to play competitively, yet they have demolished comp players in “casual” games.
    The IFPA ratings are meaningless once you watch an unranked “casual” spank a group of seasoned comp players.

I used to host IFPA tournaments. Stopped doing a couple years ago. We prefer to have fun instead of stress over pinball. To each his own.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I've stated this before, but I do think we could have a much better rating system (that would be much harder to be manipulated).
    Instead of having members rate each machine, have them list their top 20 (or so) machines (in order). Then a game's ranking could be computed by how many members have that game in their list (and at what position).
    No one would be able to "trash" a game by giving it a 1. If they don't like a game, the worst they can do is exclude it from their favorites list.
    And no one can just give 10s to all the games they own (or to whatever the new game is). They would have to pick a favorite, a second, and so on.
    It would force people to rate games against other games, and not on a 1 to 10 scale.

That would be better than we have. But I think some statistical math added to the current system could work, as I mentioned before. Throw out ratings way out of the bell curve.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

There is a bias towards the newer games. You could set a rule that pins within their first five years of release are not eligible for inclusion on Top 100 list, to see if it can “stand the test of time” after the release hype fades away.
    On the other hand, you can make a case that some new pins are so groundbreaking that they deserve a place on the list right away. (E.g., Keith Elwin’s recent work.)

The system has that in that a game requires a certain number of ratings to be in the top 100. Maybe the number could be tweaked. My only concern there is that I do like to look at ratings before I buy a game. It’s one of the criteria I use to put a game in my business. Others, like me I’m sure, would like some early feedback as waiting too long would result in the game being out of stock with distributors.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Hopefully you look beyond the top 10 as many games outside of it continue to earn a crapload on location.

Absolutely! Since I have 35 pins in the business, that’s kinda necessary. Lol

My revenue model is a little different, but your point is absolutely true. Again, pinside is just one criteria I use. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, but the average rating on pinside would ideally match my customers’ likes as well.

#47 1 year ago

ReadyPO Agreed. I also watch some streams. But even at that, I saw some streamers go out and trash games before they even played it. Don’t use their opinion anymore.

What else do you use to evaluate a game before purchase. Always looking for other insights.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rbviessman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-pinside-rankings-became-useless?tu=rbviessman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.