(Topic ID: 79582)

When people think pinball is old/stupid/lame/boring/nerdy...

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dick (resized).jpg
    aliceandfurriesatdc1.jpg
    SC.jpg
    troll toll.jpg
    576px-Early_Pinball.jpg
    IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I have given decent reasons for my opinion. And I'm not alone. The top 50 pin list here supports my opinion. The place that the meteor game was dropped off at supports my opinion.

This statement right here helps to make perfect sense of your strong opinion. It is the exact reason why I ignore the Top 100 list on Pinside (and other sites) at all costs.

MOST people in the pinball hobby at least appreciate BOTH the new and the old. Those that don't, it's fine with me. I can still argue with those folks about why TOM and TOTAN are boring games, but I digress...

Anyone posting on Pinside should learn quickly that most people on this site (over 50%) are only interested in DMD and newer machines. That's fine, lots of fun DMD machines out there. (Just played a 'not mine' SST last night... That game rocks.)

Now, regarding the general population's rejection of "old technology". Teens and young adults these days rarely "get pinball" as a form of entertainment.

A friend of mine collects VHS horror movies. I don't get THAT, but he likes it and that's all that matters. The percentage of the population that would actually consider PLAYING a pinball well enough to understand that there are different goals in each game is actually quite low (certainly less than 5%).

I also wanted to mention that I have collected classic console video games for almost 20 years now. I still play them more often than I play 360 or PS3. I also think that it's great that there is still a strong following of the classic systems. This is due mostly to brand new DIY homebrew titles still being developed and released for the classic Atari and Nintendo consoles by both hobbyists and programmers each year. I actually support the argument that the classic console hobby has grown significantly in the last 5 years. Show attendance continues to steadily grow each year I attend show's like MGC.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-people-think-pinball-is-oldstupidlameboringnerdy?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.