(Topic ID: 79582)

When people think pinball is old/stupid/lame/boring/nerdy...

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dick (resized).jpg
    aliceandfurriesatdc1.jpg
    SC.jpg
    troll toll.jpg
    576px-Early_Pinball.jpg
    IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 10 years ago

Ya know... it really grinds my gears. Typically I would never advise someone to vent frustration online... but man I have hit a limit.

I have a good client of mine... and I asked if I could keep a pin at their place (I have no more room at the house). Its a Stern Meteor. They said yes to letting me keep it there.

2 days later I get a phone call from the owner, who says "when are you coming to get this pinball machine" and I said why would you ask that... and he replied "I dont want this old ass shit in here... I thought it was something cool".

I'm thinking to myself... IT HAS 15 FREAKING DROP TARGETS ITS AWESOME!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Its common for interested/curious people to come over to the house to play... and... they just never get it. Even when I explain the rules... modes... purpose... they... they just "try to keep the ball out of the hole". Ugh. Some even walk away mid game... these are friends of mine!!! Boo hiss. Come on now!

Pinball machines are AWESOME. They are BEAUTIFUL. The old ones... the new ones... the ones with ramps and without... even the wedge heads are cool. They are all awesome in their own way... even Gottlieb Street Fighter. Yeah I said it!

When someone thinks that pinball is stupid or boring... coincidentally... I tend to start thinking that they are in fact... stupid and boring.

/rant

#2 10 years ago

+1 my brotha!!

#3 10 years ago

Hmm I currently have my Pinbot at a friends house and they don't ever want me to come get it!

#4 10 years ago

some people just "get it" and some people should be shot!

#5 10 years ago

I think magic the gathering and the people that play it are: stupid, lame, boring, nerdy. In return they just think I'm old.

#6 10 years ago

Make them drop quarters to play. Then they'll take things a little more seriously.

#7 10 years ago

you can keep it here if it helps your opionion of mankind if needed.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Its common for interested/curious people to come over to the house to play... and... they just never get it. Even when I explain the rules... modes... purpose... they... they just "try to keep the ball out of the hole". Ugh. Some even walk away mid game... these are friends of mine!!! Boo hiss. Come on now!

Time to get new friends. Haters & or the clueless fools need not apply.

#9 10 years ago

Tar and feather the haters!

#10 10 years ago

Get a new client.

#11 10 years ago

Modern pinball is usually too complex and fast for beginners.

I always keep some old, simple 5-ball game around so non pinheads can play something not so frustrating.

#12 10 years ago

It's usually quite the opposite for me.
    People roll into my living room the with the standard "what the hell is that". Then "you payed HOW MUCH" and "you're an idiot" which follows up with a 4 hours non stop session of pin and beers!

I've turned more people into pinheads than not!

#13 10 years ago

Short answer..........
    F-'em.

#14 10 years ago

Some people like country music too......

#15 10 years ago

So they went from agreeing to house your pinball machine to "Get this old ass shit out of here" in 2 days.
    Man your client is more ADD than a bus full of tweens without their Beiber and Twilight fix.

As to your 'friends'... anyone that walks away mid game while I'm explaining the rules to them, would be walking out my door next. I would see that these expendable friends get expended if they cause you frustration.

And yes anyone who thinks pinball is stupid and boring is an idiot. Pinball is <i> designed </i> to be the opposite.

#16 10 years ago

I woldnt have been rude like that,but i wouldnt be thrilled with a stern meteor either. Id play it for a bit, but wouldnt want it taking up the space for too long. Lots of people just not interested in really old titles.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I woldnt have been rude like that,but i wouldnt be thrilled with a stern meteor either. Id play it for a bit, but wouldnt want it taking up the space for too long. Lots of people just not interested in really old titles.

I agree. Drop an AC/DC Premium off at his house, and you probably won't hear from him for a long time. I wouldn't store an old pin at my house either.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Some people like country music too......

Park 'em in front of a Fish Tales & Road Show!

#19 10 years ago

It's a "Call of Duty" world now. I really don't care what others think, I buy the machines for my enjoyment. If I cared what others thought, I'd be walking around with a hat that still had the stickers on it. I dispise that trend.

Steve

#20 10 years ago

I'm not surprised at all. Putting any random game in someone's house is asking for flack like this. I'd only lend a game to someone who previously played it and expressed interest. The only thing that's surprising is the span of time…complaining after 2 days is pretty rude. Wouldn't sweat it…

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I agree. Drop an AC/DC Premium off at his house, and you probably won't hear from him for a long time. I wouldn't store an old pin at my house either.

There is fun to be had on the older games and skills to aquire. Try doing a tap pass on a new Stern, then try it on a 70s or 80s Bally.

#22 10 years ago

It could also be the guys wife said get it out of the house. So to save face with his wife he had a mock fit.
    The one thing I can say is, you tried to hip him to the silver ball.
    Don't give up. Others will take to it.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

There is fun to be had on the older games and skills to aquire. Try doing a tap pass on a new Stern, then try it on a 70s or 80s Bally.

That may be the case, but even the casual pinball player isn't going to want to do that. We all have so much room and I've moved on from games in the 70's and even a lot of the 80's. I enjoy playing them at shows, but I don't want any space taken up by them at my house

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I have a good client of mine...

Quoted from Jared:

he replied "I dont want this old ass shit in here..

I'm guessing his wish list is a lot like yours.

#25 10 years ago

Some people just don't like pinball.

It's hard to be so passionate about something, try to share it with the people you like the most, and have them not find the same joy you do.

My wife likes to play pinball, but couldn't tell you the names of any game other than the ones we have in the man cave.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Modern pinball is usually too complex and fast for beginners.

I always keep some old, simple 5-ball game around so non pinheads can play something not so frustrating.

I agree, the game that got the most love from guests in my house by far was Mata Hari.

#27 10 years ago

I don't understand a lot of hobbies. Some folks just collect stuff and put their collectables on the walls or in display cases. They just collect dust.

I get to play my collectables.

#28 10 years ago

I wouldn't want to put any of my babies at someone else's house, especially someone who doesn't respect the game. Get that pin out ASAP and put it in a good home. It can stay here!!!

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I agree, the game that got the most love from guests in my house by far was Mata Hari.

Same here.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

I think magic the gathering and the people that play it are: stupid, lame, boring, nerdy. In return they just think I'm old.

One hobby is as good as any other, as long as it's not hurting anyone.

People might think having a pinball machine is odd, but usually any hobby comes with a sort of enthusiasm that your average person doesn't share.

#31 10 years ago

Theres nothing else that brings together good old mechanical-ism, modern day electronics and most importantly art into one machine like pinball. They dont even have to be fired up for you to appreciate them, old ones or new ones. I say pick-up your pin and as your driving off from his house do a burn out and give him the finger...

#32 10 years ago

I will never understand people that don't like pinball or anybody that chooses their hobbies based on what they perceive as "cool." Life's too short to not do what you love and let others do the same.

#33 10 years ago

First of all, 1979 is not "really old game". It's not from the 50's. It's at least early solid state.

2nd it's not a home. It's a business. A big one. With a ton of room. Thousands of square feet. In a room that's only used for a Pingpong table for employees and extra storage. There room for 50 pins in this one room.

It's not in the way. It's not taking up space. It's not a pin from the dinosaur age.

Meteor has badass artwork, cool sounds , 3 flippers and a ridiculous 15 drop targets. It's awesome.

I literally have a garage so full of games I can't fit a single one more in.

I called the client and asked permission to bring it... They agreed.

So I bring it... And now it has to go because it's "old ass shit".

Burns me up.

Oh well. Might as well get over it. I really value their business and it's not worth a fight. They pay me well.

#34 10 years ago

If a pinball showed up at my work, I'd be like "HOLY SHIT! WE HAVE A PINBALL NOW?!"

#35 10 years ago

I too shake my head when I have someone over who does not get it. They play half a game and walk away with the ball in shooter lane-AGGGGHHH! Non-pinheads suck-LOL

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I too shake my head when I have someone over who does not get it. They play half a game and walk away with the ball in shooter lane-AGGGGHHH! Non-pinheads suck-LOL

Let's not get too carried away! Exposing non-pinheads to pinball is still goodness…you win some, you lose some. This person just sounds like a rude doofuss, especially since it was in a large business with tons of room.

I had a female lawyer (in her 40's) over who hadn't played pinball in many years. We played some SM and after a fairly good ball, she looked @ me and said "Wow, this machine has great flow". Considering it was designed by SR, I thought it was pretty cool that a non-pinhead uttered those words

If you expose 10 non-pinheads and 2-3 end up "getting it", it's still good...

#37 10 years ago

My son and daughter's friends come over [17 and 12] and rarely to never play any of them. Really show no interest at all. When I was in my teens, if I had walked into a basement with 12 super nice restored pinballs on free play I would have been in heaven!
    I guess they can't put their phones down long enough to pay attention to a 5 minute game of pinball.
    Maybe it's a generational thing.
    To the op - I would say those people lost any privilege of keeping one of your games. IMHO, "old ass shit" is basically *most* anything before 1969. Only EM's I enjoy are the 70's ones and while not a huge early solid state fan here, playing for bonus and ball time can be a real challenge and fun in it's own right. Not meaning to piss on EM wedgehead guys around here, but most EM guys from that era think DMD is "new ass shit".

Now if someone brought over a 50's or 60's game, fully working and I had the space, I still wouldn't tell them to get this old ass sit out of here. I might play it once a week, but wouldn't be a rude dick about it.

#38 10 years ago

Each to their own. No sweat, dudes.

#39 10 years ago

Must not be that great of a pin, If you took it to someones place to store. You didn't want it around, Why should he?

#40 10 years ago

Mixing business with pleasure. This might not go well.

Some people will never get it no matter how hard you try.

And others will not stop drooling on your machines to press the start button.

He is a client not friend or family I would just get the machine and not say a word about it.

Possibly even say I am sorry I was not more clear on what I was storing at your facility etc...

As for the friends who do not get it just beat on them they will submit eventually

#41 10 years ago

Great topic. If everyone loved and appreciated pinball like us enthusiasts, then the hobby wouldn't be so fascinating in my opinion. There are so many things that make pinball such a great pastime, things that a lot of people just don't think that deeply about. The trick is to be able to explain what it's all about, show them a game and express what it is that makes pinball so satisfying. If they don't get it they probably aren't someone your going to be hanging out with anyway.

#42 10 years ago

There are none of my immediate friends (who aren't already pinball people) will jump in and play the pins. They just don't get it, normally - and don't see why I get it, or why I need 20 pins setup....

My brother, who has helped me move a lot of pins in and out of the basement, will normally only play one game on each new pin - and that's enough for him.

I'd have to agree with the idea that if Meteor is a game you don't want - why do you think someone else would?

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

My son and daughter's friends come over [17 and 12] and rarely to never play any of them. Really show no interest at all............I guess they can't put their phones down long enough to pay attention to a 5 minute game of pinball. Maybe it's a generational thing.

My boys played when they were younger with their friends, but it soon came to an end with the loss of interest in our hobby. Both boys still can produce a mean ass game if they are willing, but them days are few and far between and the gameroom sits alone. With 4 kids, my youngest (9) plays a couple games a week is all, unless a new title comes in, he will play for a couple weeks. His 5 buddies all his age play maybe once every other month, but yet 3 or 4 times a week they play xbox and or ps on the gameroom tv.

And when they do play, they dont go into the classics section of the gameroom at all, BOPP, Meteor, Nightrider, HarlemGT,Joker Poker.............. i cant figure it out. The pinball guys come over, the dmd's sit while the dollar grudge match's are being waged on the classics. Many of good times have been had, and they are considered boring by the kids.

To the OP....... you have more then one friend, choose one more grateful to what you're offering. I have plenty of friends who would love to store a machine for me, even a stinker of a game.

#44 10 years ago

Testify my brother!

Plus, love me some Meteor, it's a kick ass game.

I've learned to ignore them. Pinball is coming back (again). My friends and family are becoming believers, finally.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

I don't understand a lot of hobbies. Some folks just collect stuff and put their collectables on the walls or in display cases. They just collect dust.
    I get to play my collectables.

Amen broyher,that's just the way I see it.I quit
    worrying if my friends &family liked it or not awhile
    back.My grandsons 3 and 2 years old love to play
    pinball.I love hearing Pa Pa Rick 'lets play pinball'

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

First of all, 1979 is not "really old game". It's not from the 50's. It's at least early solid state.
    2nd it's not a home. It's a business. A big one. With a ton of room. Thousands of square feet. In a room that's only used for a Pingpong table for employees and extra storage. There room for 50 pins in this one room.
    It's not in the way. It's not taking up space. It's not a pin from the dinosaur age.
    Meteor has badass artwork, cool sounds , 3 flippers and a ridiculous 15 drop targets. It's awesome.
    I literally have a garage so full of games I can't fit a single one more in.
    I called the client and asked permission to bring it... They agreed.
    So I bring it... And now it has to go because it's "old ass shit".
    Burns me up.
    Oh well. Might as well get over it. I really value their business and it's not worth a fight. They pay me well.

They probably expected a real pinball and you brought in that old thing. If all it features is 15 boring targets and 3 flippers to shoot at them, then I can understand why they wanted it gone. Understand, there's no reason to be rude to you over it. But I wouldn't want that thing around either, even if I had 10000000000 sq feet of space. And yea 1979 is ridiculously old.

#47 10 years ago

Look at it this way. Imagine you go to a friend's house and all they want to do is nerd out in a hobby you have no interest in (dolls? Stamps? Llama farming?). People are in to different things. When folks come over I have the machines on - if they show an interest we might play. If not I don't bring it up. We do other things. We still have a good time.

#48 10 years ago

No joke, people get way into llamas

#49 10 years ago

I have freinds that come over that i can not get them off my games, then i have a couple that could care less. The ones that could care less make me wonder what the f..k is wrong with you. I just dont get it.

#50 10 years ago

Nearly all of my friends have little to no interest in pinball. I'm always shocked by it. It's almost as if as they look it as an interesting relic from a time gone by...and then they snap out of it and have zero interest in figuring out how to play it.

Every once and a while we'll have a guest over that gets into it...and when they do they can't seem to stop playing. And they typically remark "Wow, that was actually fun." As if that's a big surprise

If there were some simple videos out there that described the rules with quick examples, it might make the machines more palatable for novices. Half the time when I try to explain rules or modes, eyes gloss over and confusion sets in.

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-people-think-pinball-is-oldstupidlameboringnerdy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.