• 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by libtech
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mustang Pro PF (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Preface: I'd like to keep to keep this thread pretty simple and not a Stern-bashing thread so please read below before posting. Also, quickly posting "never" as a response to the title may be funny to you but moves this advice thread nowhere.

A little birdie suggested I hold off on buying MET Pro right now because I could probably expect to see some come up when the next major Stern title is announced (Elvira III, Star Wars...etc.), just like how I bought 2 pins during the GB launch.

We aren't taking MET off the table quite yet, but maybe the birdie was right. Maybe we should get a nice used Stern to pass the time until we want to make a move on a HUO Met. But in order to get our minds off of Sparky, it really would need to be a deal that would be too good to pass up. Also "QC Issues", "Stern likes money, hates customers"... I know, I know. Don't need that in this thread. This is why we are considering a used game.

So... at what prices would you consider the following titles in very good - excellent condition "steals" (the price point where it's a no-brainer, forget MET Pro, must grab it purchase)?

TSPP
IM
IMVE
Mustang Pro
SM
TWD
RBION

We like all of the games above. I know you don't like Mustang Pro. I do. Go watch the Pinball with the Pros video with Steve Bowden and play it a few times.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your "little birdy" is an idiot.

Really? Really??? Do you refresh the main page every 5 seconds waiting for new threads to appear so you can jump in and make some snarky remark? For every good post you have in one thread, you make 5 dickish posts in other threads. Get out and go for a f'ing walk or something once in a while. Being a 24-7 prick can't be good for your health. I won't be responding to any of your other posts.

Quoted from mainelycoasters:

I expect once stern production stops that Metallica will join the ranks of Tron, and Lord of the rings for holding value.

Completely agree 100%. But they're still producing it, yet none are coming up for sale on the secondary market. I do think if a major title comes up, we will see Met's come up for sale. Space/money/desire will force some to have to part ways with MET to get a new flashy SW pin. It happened with GB, and I got 2 great used games during that, and I was able to negotiate on both. There's no negotiating on MET right now because used supply is low, and there's nothing like a new flashy SW pin that others are dying to have. That's why I created this thread to see what could be a potential "stopgap" solution... not to have one of my friends (and highly regarded Pinsider) be called an idiot.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yeah none of the titles listed are likely going to fall in value any time soon. Stern Pro's and games under $5K are all safe bets to hold their value. You can pretty much bet if a Met Pro HUO gets listed at $4400 or less it will sell very quickly.
Where I think you can find deals in the future is in the high end market ($7-10K games). I think games like Hobbit, BM66, WWELE, GOTLE/Prem, MMR, Mustang LE, etc. may all be cheaper 6 months from now than what they are currently selling for because of new and expensive games hitting the market.

Agreed on the whole. Mustang has been tanking a bit (search "Why no love for Mustang" thread). That guy had his for sale forever. Locally there was a routed MET Pro that went for $3800 and sold in minutes, well before I even checked my email (they also had ST Pro for $3800 and Mustang for $3500... both sold as well). I think Mustang at $3500 is enough to make me think twice, $3200 is probably that "no brainer" I alluded to earlier. I also like WWELE but need that at Xmen-LE/TFLE prices (~$5K) to enter consideration and we're just not there yet.

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I bought HUO refinery pro 6 weeks ago or so for $5200. Obviously heavily loaded with mods for basically nib price for a pro and I have zero playfield issues. To me that purchase was a no brainer and a great pin for the money. I say just buy now and enjoy.

Would've done the same thing in a heartbeat.

Quoted from Beebl:

Met Pro is awesome and add a color dmd and it stacks up well against any stern or BW. Buy one now and if you want a Star Wars when it comes out sell it because it will be months before you see that title available.

Just the opposite. I probably won't want a SW pin at all. But I'd be willing to bet there are a bunch of Met owners with small collections that would need to free up space/cash if/when a new SW pin launched, just like people did when GB launched.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Skeets:

I respectfully disagree with this, because MET is incredibly popular. If someone has a small collection, I would tend to think MET isn't going to be the pin that gets moved out for something new.

Totally possible. For someone like me, I only have room for 3 pins, so if I'm bringing in a dream theme, something has to go. If in turn I also realized that 1 of my 3 pins could also pay for 90% the next pin I was buying, I'd certainly consider moving it if money was tight and again I was getting a dream theme in return. Lots of things come up FS when popular titles are launched.

#22 7 years ago

Interesting how the majority of people so far are saying just buy a NIB Met Pro. That's basically still Plan A, but I wondered if there would be an better way to outlast these PF QC issues and maybe even score one for less down the road.

I will admit that when talking to my 8yr old last night about our next pin, he said "what about those zombie ones?" at which point I told him we wouldn't be buying TWD, but he corrected me and said "no, the zombie one with 4 music zombies in the picture and the guy with the big tongue in the middle you shock".

One year ago we were out looking at a pin up in VT and the owner also had a Met Pro LED with Color DMD and external sub. We didn't even play it, we just watched the owner play it. A year later and my son has had that in the back of his mind as a pin he wants. F'ing awesome.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Buy a HUO one. That would kill those two birds with one stone. You have your choice between the original one with incandescent lamps or the newer one with LEDs (remember those had the revised backbox and decals that started to peel). You don't have to gamble with a NIB game if you're concerned with issues.

Apparently each Met Pro is being shipped with 4 giant anchor bolts because no one is letting it leave their house

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

You should buy it NIB then sell it to me for 80% your cost when whatever your must have theme pin is released.

I'm a 34yr old whose first car is seen here (even correct color)...
Mustang Pro PF (resized).JPGMustang Pro PF (resized).JPG
... that is attending his 4th Wrestlemania in a few weeks, and Probably has more Kiss and Metallica on my iPhone than all other artists combined. They really can't come out with a "must have" theme for me that they already haven't IMO... maybe unless they release a pin for Christina Aguilera's Dirty music video.

#31 7 years ago

Unfortunately too far away. Have been watching that thread for like 2-3 weeks. Even shipped, after adding LED's we're talking NIB money already. If that were local, it's a different story. I'd absolutely consider closer ones in that price range, no doubt.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,600 (OBO)
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-not-to-buy-a-metallica?tu=yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.