Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chadderack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Ranking numbers aside, since you won the Alabama State Championship, I suspect at least B division is appropriate; otherwise it looks odd if the state champion plays in C division.

Hey, thanks for noticing! Just for the record, I've been to PAPA 4 times and never played C. Also never played A, although I am considering it.

Edit, I just noticed who you were, Jeff. You guys going to PAPA this year?

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Please provide details if they are known, so we can plan flights and hotels. Thank you!

Working on details now, but there will at least be events around the city on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before PAPA.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

PAPA vs. Pinburgh: if you could only go to one, which one, and why?

Different formats lead to different styles playing and non-playing.

PAPA - dedicated banks and less games involved in the tournament... so the rest of the facility is open for coin play. If you've never been to the facility, this is huge because you have a lot more freedom to play various games.

PAPA - 'play when you want format' - For qualifying, you pick and chose when you want to play and how much you want to play. Crowds can swell at peak times making waits tough, or play off times with little wait. No need to stay at the facility the whole time if you don't want to. This also means there is a lot more hanging out, tailgating, etc.

PAPA you play in the competition by yourself during qualifying.

PAPA - very hard to qualify... can play all weekend and feel let down you didn't make the cut. But there are side tournaments, etc. The main diversion (Classics Division) has become just as competitive as the main tournament tho.. lessening it's diversion value.

Pinburg on the other hand is a guaranteed play format. You also play in groups. This means at Pinburg I think you meet and mingle with a lot more different people than you might at PAPA. Everyone has a reason to meet someone! In addition, until the playoffs, everyone plays the same amount. You get a guaranteed # of rounds of competitive pinball.

This means you may drop as you play poorly, but you keep playing and keep playing with people in your same level. I think it's less stressful in that sense. Everyone is more in sync with a common schedule and cause...

However the # of people playing in pinburg means more games are tied up with the tournament and less games are available for walk-up play. Pinburg is actually a pretty grueling schedule of play.. making for long days on site.

So I find pinburg to be more 'fun' as a format... but has less flexibility and less free play around the facility. PAPA tends to be a more 'hardcore' format IMO, but has more freedom outside the tournament.

So I think if you've never been, and want to get the most out of the facility visit... PAPA. If you want to get the most play and meet a lot of people... Pinburg.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

PAPA vs. Pinburgh: if you could only go to one, which one, and why?

PAPA 'cause it doesn't fall on the weekend of my wifes birthday

#55 9 years ago

Question for those more familiar with PAPA and pittsburg than I...

If by some miracle I were to make the C division playoffs, will I be done and able to make a 6pm flight out from PITT airport?

I guess in other words... what is the latest that C division playoffs will be done?
    also, Would I be able to arrange a cab from PAPA to the airport?

#56 9 years ago

Whysnow, that would probably be cutting it close. Finals for all divisions usually wrap up by 4PM but you gotta get to the airport(about 20-25 minutes) and get through a security line. Try to stay another night. I highly recommend the after party. All games available, lights turned down, music playing. It is AWESOME!

#57 9 years ago

Limited time off and fund means I need to save the $$ from extra night hotel and also need to be back to work on Mon.

How easy is it to arrange taxi/transport from PAPA to airport. There is a 7:25 flight out also, so I could make a later flight.
    If I do not make playoffs, are the non-tourney bank of games still open for play on Sunday? Chances are I wil not make playoffs so I would also hate to be waiting on a later flight that is not needed.

#58 9 years ago

Plane and hotel booked!

Woot Woot!!! Looking forward to some good times!

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Limited time off and fund means I need to save the $$ from extra night hotel and also need to be back to work on Mon.
    How easy is it to arrange taxi/transport from PAPA to airport. There is a 7:25 flight out also, so I could make a later flight.
    If I do not make playoffs, are the non-tourney bank of games still open for play on Sunday? Chances are I wil not make playoffs so I would also hate to be waiting on a later flight that is not needed.

Most of the games not involved in the tournament are available for play on Sunday. There will easily be over 350+ games outside of the tournament for the weekend.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Most of the games not involved in the tournament are available for play on Sunday. There will easily be over 350+ games outside of the tournament for the weekend.

Question. If I plan on going Thursday only, what's the game selection going to look like? Less than the 350 on Sunday?

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Question. If I plan on going Thursday only, what's the game selection going to look like? Less than the 350 on Sunday?

Nope. You will actually probably have the most all weekend on Thursday because nothing will have stopped working yet

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

A few less, but not tons. The qualifying banks are a bit bigger than the finals banks, and there's a few machines hidden away for use in classics, but that's like 10-20 total?

#63 9 years ago

player number 148. Am I cooler than you?

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

player number 148. Am I cooler than you?

Player #101 checking in.

#66 9 years ago

Trying to make plans now. This will be our first PAPA experience as well as Pittsburgh.
    Hopefully we can pull this off.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Nope. You will actually probably have the most all weekend on Thursday because nothing will have stopped working yet

Thanks for the heads up sir. I will deff be coming down on Wednesday or Thursday morning

Quoted from flynnibus:

Different formats lead to different styles playing and non-playing.
    PAPA - dedicated banks and less games involved in the tournament... so the rest of the facility is open for coin play. If you've never been to the facility, this is huge because you have a lot more freedom to play various games............

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your post was the deciding factor in me pulling the trigger!

#68 9 years ago

Which hotels on the web site will have a shuttle to the show? If any.
    I see that some have airport shuttles listed.

#69 9 years ago

"We are recommending the Marriott Courtyard hotel at Settlers Ridge, and we will be running a shuttle to the Marriott and Extended Stay America during the tournament."

#70 9 years ago

Keep in mind C division playoffs have been expanded this year to 24 players, so that will add some time as well.

#71 9 years ago

OK. It's a done deal. Airline booked.
    Texas is coming to PAPA.
    I am pumped up already and can't wait to meet everyone.
    Also gotta find my name on the sponsor board.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks. Any WI locals want to attend this year? Tim, Mike, and I had a blast last year!

I was thinking about it, but it falls on Gencon week for me, so i'm out.

#73 9 years ago

Going to book the trip tomorrow. This should be fun.

#74 9 years ago

I had a good experience with the courtyard at settlers ridge. last two times we've stayed at the Marriott pittsburg airport (the one at 777 Aten Rd - not at the airport itself).

those with less strict criteria or more adventurous... you can usually get priceline or other last minute bid hotels in the $60/night range.

The airport area looks far from papa.. but is nearly all interstate, quick, and this is the side of the area with actual life for restaurants, etc.

3 weeks later
    #75 9 years ago

If you are coming in early, there are a few tournaments scheduled that week. The Pre-PAPA events are run by PGH Pinball and the Pittsburgh Pinball League, all are welcome to attend. Specific details on each will be up soon!

Part of a series of events for World Pinball Championship week in Pittsburgh.

Check out the other events here:

Sunday August 10th: Pre-PAPA Tournament @ Kickback
    https://www.facebook.com/events/263271573881556/

Monday August 11th: Pre-PAPA Tournament @ The Slovak Club of Parks Township
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1558372564390393/

Tuesday August 12th: Pre-PAPA Tournament @ New Great Valley Lanes
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1456683111256829/

Wednesday August 13th: PAPA-Brawl
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/pinbrawl-2014-papa-17

Thursday August 14-17: PAPA 17 World Pinball Championships
    http://papa.org/papa-tournaments/papa-world-championships/papa-17-world-championships/

#76 9 years ago

Just booked at Settler's Ridge. Hoping to start the fun on Tuesday the 12th @ New Great Valley Lanes

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-is-papa-17-registration/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.