Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chadderack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I've been wondering when registration was going to start for PAPA 17. It seems as if it was the beginning of May last year, but I might be wrong. Last year was my first time, though I really didn't do well (down right sucked), but I had one hell of a good time anyways. So I'm really looking forward to this year and seeing if I've improved any.

And does anyone know why they switched the date of next years.

#2 9 years ago

Monday morning bump for any info.

#3 9 years ago

For PAPA 17 just show up and register as it's an open player event. No cap on number of players.

#5 9 years ago

There is no limit to the number of folks who can compete at PAPA 17 so no pre-registration is necessary.

#6 9 years ago

I know I'll be going this year
    If any peeps from NE want to carpool shoot me a message.

#7 9 years ago

what are the dates of PAPA17?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

August 14-17.

LTG : )™

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Road Trip?

#10 9 years ago

I would like to go again. Last year was a blast, I think I have gotten slightly better, and assuming they are making some tweaks to the C (D?) division I will likely have more fun/ a chance of actually making D...

Doug > any updates on if there are some tweaks to division requirements?

#11 9 years ago

We are in the process of going over all of our notes from last year and making adjustments to the rules where necessary. Nothing has been finalized at this time.

#12 9 years ago

Are first-timers automatically placed in A?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Are first-timers automatically placed in A?

I would not think so

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I would not think so

If it's anything like being a newcomer to a bowling tournament.... (ABT in this case)... first timers are placed in the "A" division and given 0 handicap. This guards against ringers coming in and blowing everybody away in a lower division.

It's kind of discouraging to new/sucky players, though, because they almost have to "pay their dues" before being allowed to play in a lower division.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

If it's anything like being a newcomer to a bowling tournament.... (ABT in this case)... first timers are placed in the "A" division and given 0 handicap. This guards against ringers coming in and blowing everybody away in a lower division.
    It's kind of discouraging to new/sucky players, though, because they almost have to "pay their dues" before being allowed to play in a lower division.

Then it's nothing like being in a bowling tournament. All division restrictions that PAPA uses are based on previous results. It's a sandbagger's paradise!

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Then it's nothing like being in a bowling tournament. All division restrictions that PAPA uses are based on previous results. It's a sandbagger's paradise!

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We are in the process of going over all of our notes from last year and making adjustments to the rules where necessary. Nothing has been finalized at this time.

I look forward to seeing what adjustments come. I hope to see more things which are accomodating to newer members (and crappier players that still would like to compete on a similar level at a big event) and prevent ringers from capitalizing on lower divisions when they already often beat some of the best in the world.

#18 9 years ago

The scores you post will determine your division unless you are restricted to a certain division based on previous tournaments. If you are a ringer you'd have to sandbag into a lower division and then turn it up but that seems super lame.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

The scores you post will determine your division unless you are restricted to a certain division based on previous tournaments. If you are a ringer you'd have to sandbag into a lower division and then turn it up but that seems super lame.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Pinburgh rather than the PAPA World Championships. At the latter, you select a division and bank of games on which you want to try and qualify.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Pinburgh rather than the PAPA World Championships. At the latter, you select a division and bank of games on which you want to try and qualify.

Correct and limitations were previously mainly based on past PAPA performances which means many top ranked players could potentially still compete in lower divisions.

1 week later
    #21 9 years ago

Will there be a shuttle bus from any of the hotels for PAPA 17?

Also, the event page lists a $35 pre-registration package (http://papa.org/papa-17-world-championships/), when will that be open for registration?

#22 9 years ago

Pre-registration will be opening up soon. However, you do not need to pre-register for PAPA as there is no player cap, unlike Pinburgh.

#23 9 years ago

Cool, thanks. Just got my hotel booked.

#24 9 years ago

I can't get on PAPA website at work. Can someone confirm what the dates are?

#25 9 years ago

Aug 14th-17th, 2014.

#26 9 years ago

thanks. Any WI locals want to attend this year? Tim, Mike, and I had a blast last year!

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks. Any WI locals want to attend this year? Tim, Mike, and I had a blast last year!

I want too.

#28 9 years ago

If you are coming in from out of town early, there will be some Pre-PAPA tournaments held at various places around the city as well.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

If you are coming in from out of town early, there will be some Pre-PAPA tournaments held at various places around the city as well.

Any dates/locations on those tournaments and any hotel block room discounts coming soon?
    Thanks in advance!

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skulz:

Any dates/locations on those tournaments and any hotel block room discounts coming soon?
    Thanks in advance!

Yes and yes. More info coming in the next few weeks as we get things into place.

1 week later
    #33 9 years ago

"UPDATE 5
    Division restrictions have been amended to include WPPR rankings. All players ranked between 1 and 99 will now be restricted to Division A. All players ranked between 100 and 399 will be restricted to Division B or higher."

THANKS!!!!

Great move IMHO and really makes things better. Also really nice to see things being done to improve the fun factor for those that are genuinely C (in my case probably D or E )

I was trying to find out, is there a hotel which offers shuttle service to from PAPA? Last year I drove, but this year we would like to fly if coming and it would be nice to avoid the need for a rental car.

#34 9 years ago

noticed a typo? my guess is that is supposed to be 10am - 11AM? for check in

Sunday – August 17, 2014

10am – 3am – Finalists in A, B, and C divisions must check in

#35 9 years ago

any thoughts to making some sort of payout for C division 17th to 24th? Just curious if it was considered?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

noticed a typo? my guess is that is supposed to be 10am - 11AM? for check in
    Sunday – August 17, 2014
    10am – 3am – Finalists in A, B, and C divisions must check in

Yup. Typo. Thanks for the heads up. It will be corrected.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

any thoughts to making some sort of payout for C division 17th to 24th? Just curious if it was considered?

A, B, C and Classics all only payout to 16. We have expanded the field to give more people a chance to make the playoffs, but are still only paying top 16 in each division.

#38 9 years ago

I like the new changes. I've always wondered about players ranked for example as #58 or #79 playing in the B division. Never seemed quite right. But they eventually make the final 4 and are forced to A div. where they belong. I suppose at approx. #180 I am right where I belong in B div.

I also really like that they are taking 24 into the playoffs for Classics and C div. It just seems natural that the larger # of players in those divisions should take a larger # of players into the playoffs.

#39 9 years ago

Thanks for the information, especially regarding the shuttle from the selected hotels. All booked and registered. Can't wait!

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Thanks for the information, especially regarding the shuttle from the selected hotels. All booked and registered. Can't wait!

I missed this and can't seem to find it. Is there a shuttle from certain hotels to/from PAPA?

#41 9 years ago

PAPA vs. Pinburgh: if you could only go to one, which one, and why?

#42 9 years ago

It came in an email after I preregistered.

"We are recommending the Marriott Courtyard hotel at Settlers Ridge, and we will be running a shuttle to the Marriott and Extended Stay America during the tournament."

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

IMO, and I've never been to either yet, Pinburgh. It's a fixed cost instead of pump-and-dump. Granted, PAPA's tourney format where you have to have an all-or-nothing type of dump is VERY much preferred to where people can make individual entries on each game!

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Depends on your personality. PAPA is like a torture chamber. The pressure is intense and you are constantly challenged to maintain your focus despite the pressure and eventually the fatigue, both mental and physical that builds up as you approach the end of qualifying. It is physically, mentally and emotionally draining and if a pinball tournament is ever going to cause someone to break down, it will be PAPA. If you would enjoy playing golf in the US Open, you will enjoy PAPA.

Pinburgh is more likened to Pinball Boot Camp. At Pinburgh, you WILL play pinball all day (and I mean all day) for two straight days. You will play with all sorts of people on all sorts of machines with little time to prepare for new rule sets or setups. You will have to adjust on the fly and adapt to changing conditions. You will get really tired physically, but it is more of a fun environment and the mental and emotional strain are not as great. If you make it to Sunday finals, that is when the stress begins. If you would enjoy playing golf in the Bob Hope Desert Classic, you will like Pinburgh.

Personally, I will never miss either of them. They are the cream of the tournament crop and each brings a unique style of challenge and fun. I am counting the days to PAPA...

#45 9 years ago

I went to PAPA last year. I have not gone to pinburgh. I am OK at best. I like the ability to casually play more games in the "practice" bank along with friends on mY schedule. For me, I think PAPA is the one to attend.

Our basic days last year were:
    go in the morning and play a few tickets, be dejected with poor performance and go play games for fun, play another ticket later in the afternoon, have a few drinks, go back to hotel and crash. Rinse and repeat.

I think we had more fun playing varkon with KOI and SC with each other and laughing up a storm liek little kids to the farting dragon pinball.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Both are great but Pinburgh is the BEST! Play a huge range of games, flat fee, and you meet tons of great people.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Yea man, represent upstate! I have a wedding that weekend to go to, but I wanted to come down for at least thursday, maybe stay the night

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

Yea man, represent upstate! I have a wedding that weekend to go to, but I wanted to come down for at least thursday, maybe stay the night

There's a few of us going. Definitely come down if you can - PAPA is a sight to behold. We're lucky to have it so nearby.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I like the new changes. I've always wondered about players ranked for example as #58 or #79 playing in the B division. Never seemed quite right. But they eventually make the final 4 and are forced to A div. where they belong. I suppose at approx. #180 I am right where I belong in B div.

Ranking numbers aside, since you won the Alabama State Championship, I suspect at least B division is appropriate; otherwise it looks odd if the state champion plays in C division.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Quoted from Skulz:

Thanks in advance!

Please provide details if they are known, so we can plan flights and hotels. Thank you!

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-is-papa-17-registration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.