(Topic ID: 72067)

WHEN is it time to rebuild your flippers?

By jazc4

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SilverBallz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I saw a question about how to rebuild a flipper. My question is this:

How do you know when its TIME to rebuild? My LOTR has 1600 plays on it. Where is the line between acceptable and rebuild?

I sometimes have trouble getting the ball to go up the ring ramp and actually make the jump to the ring.

#2 6 years ago

That's an issue specific to LOTR due to horrendously long ball times. PBL sells an upgraded coil that resolves a lot of that, but I would say that if you're going to install it, you need to install all the plastic protectors as well, unless you have a penchant for tracking down hard to find LOTR plastics sets..

Also check the end of the ramp to make sure there's not hammered bits sticking up at the ends of the prongs. They might need to be filed flat.

It's likely you don't need to rebuild at all, and it's one of these two quirks.

#3 6 years ago

If you ever have problems making ramp shots, you're over due!

#4 6 years ago

Manually run the flippers through their range of motion and make sure they are smooth.

Hold the flipper bat and see if there is any play in the plunger link.

Examine the coil sleeve and plunger for wear. Check the plunger tip for mushrooming. Check the coil stop for rolled edge.

#5 6 years ago

I like to hold the bat steady and push back and forth on the plunger. It's normal to have a slight movement there, but if it's moving more than 1/16" to 1/8" you've got slop and need to rebuild. Don't forget the flipper bat bushings. That part is often left in when rebuilding but it needs to be replaced along with the rest. They usually don't come in the rebuild kits!

#6 6 years ago

Just clean them and replace the coil sleeves.
No need to rebuild them. You might want to get the pinball life lotr coil if you're having issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside