2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by astevens
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Doing our first playfield swap on a High Speed, and we're just about ready to start soldering all the connections back together. I'm wondering at what point (and how?) to test the circuits--do we just solder everything, turn it on, and see what works? I fear blowing fuses or worse if we've done something wrong (which I'm sure we will). Do we risk damaging bulbs? Is there a better way to test things as we go? Or am I overthinking this? Thanks for any advice!

#2 2 years ago

Not sure for a HS but in general for Bally Williams games there are 3 separate wiring harness: GI, solenoid, and switching. I start with the GI after installation test for any shorts via multimeter, once cleared hook up to game an fire up, adjust. Repeat this for each harness.

#3 2 years ago

So I'm thinking about what will blow up.

If your coil voltage is connected to your switches, you can damage the board.

If your coil voltage is connected to your general illumination lights, you can blow up your LED's or burn out your bulbs. Might also create a LOUD humming from the transformer. If you hear a loud humming from the transformer, immediately remove power!

If your coil voltage is connected to your controlled illumination lights, you can blow up your LED's or burn out your bulbs, and you can also damage the board.

If your switches are connected to each other, you'll have to find out where you've got inappropriate touching and get the short circuit resolved.

If a general illumination socket is shorted, it will blow the GI fuse quickly.

If a controlled illumnation socket is shorted it might damage the board, but likely will blow the fuse.

So my advice is to REALLY make sure there isn't anything touching inappropriately. Make sure wiring harnesses next to metal aren't rubbing through insulation. Make sure every wire is ONLY going to where it should.

I would test the lamp sockets for dead shorts, because it is extremely frustrating to have a brand new socket shorting things out. I don't expect you to have trouble, but if you don't have bulbs installed it's just a quick continuity check for the entire string of general illumination.

Because the coil wires are just a couple, I might do a quick continuity check between the coil wires and the switch wires and the lamp wires before I apply power.

Mostly I'd double down on visual inspection, and then plug it to the board and start pinball testing through the menus.

#4 2 years ago

Awesome, thank you both! Fingers crossed we don't blow up too much stuff.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-how-to-test-circuits-during-pf-swap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.